Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannnah_gw

Hoya id help

hannnah
11 years ago

Last fall I went to a small nursery here in Los Angeles that specializes in tropical plants. They sell h.carnosa but the owner also showed me a hoya he had growing in the back that he says he collected himself many years ago from the Island nation of Vanuatu, in the south pacific.

I went back to the nursery today as I was in the area and got another cutting and took a picture of the plant, I thought I would share pictures with you all in hopes that you could help me id it.

The owner said that he used to love finding hoyas back when he used to go on collecting trips for other plants but hasn't in years and doesn't know what this hoya is. There was a tiny pendicle (sp?) but no flowers to help out in the id-ing, tho he said it flowered alot. The backs of the leaves are slightly fuzzy like a h. Fungii but not as fuzzy as the one I have.

He also said that he found the best time to snag hoyas was after a cyclone because the storms would bring down the hoyas from the tippy tops of trees. I though that sounded pretty cool.

The cuts are from different parts of the mother plant so they look quite different in their pots but they are from the same plant!

Okay thanks, Hannah