Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken Compacta vine. What to do with it now?

Posted by banannas 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 20:47

Hi my hoya expert friends,

I was washing my hoya in the sink and somehow as careful as I am, I broke one of the vines off :( I want to plant it like it was an on purpose cutting. What should I do to get this cutting off to a good start? Remove some leaves to a particular point? Rooting hormones?

It kind of reminds me of a lizards tail. I know that the lizard will regenerate a tail but in this case I'm hoping the tail will regenerate the lizard!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anne

IMG_0228

IMG_0227

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken Compacta vine. What to do with it now?

Easy-peezy. Take a couple leaves off the end. Take a small pot, clay would be best for this one because it'll be top heavy. Put an inch or so of soil in the bottom and wet it good. Prop the cutting so it rests against the edge of the pot, sticking straight up with the cut end in the soil. Put the whole thing in a big gallon-size baggie, blow air in it and seal it up. Every few days, open it, let the old air out and blow fresh air in and seal it. After a couple weeks, you'll probably feel resistence when you tug (GENTLY) on it. At that point, you can take it out of the bag and set it in a shady spot so it can continue to root. After a few weeks, put it back in with the mother plant.

Denise in Omaha

o

one more quick question. When I pull off some leaves should I make sure to have a certain amount of nodes planted under the soil? Or does that not matter?

Thanks

Anne in Sandy Eggo

o

You already have one node exposed there, and there will probably be a node in contact with the soil line, so that's more than enough already, but the more nodes, the more opportunity for roots to emerge. It's really up to you, but since you have a nice long vine there, I'd just clear off enough nodes to give it a good purchase in the soil. That will help with the top-heaviness, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here