Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

August flowers!!!!!

dmichael619
13 years ago

There's a number of hoyas currently in bloom but I only managed to get photos of 4 today before our daily thunderstorm popped off!!!

This is hoya aldrichii IML 1418. I swear I waited at least 6 years for this hoya to bloom but it has proven to have been worth the wait!!This second set of flowers aren't quite as mauve colored as the first set of blooms were.Still pretty though!

Kanyakumariana is still going strong!!! This is the neatest little hoya!!!

I don't know much about this one other than I got it from a friend a couple of years ago labeled as hoya sp. Bangkok #4. If anyone knows anything else about it please let me know.

This is the orange flowering clone of hoya lobbii before the flowers are fully reflexed!!Some folks can't get lobbii to bloom but this has proven to be a very reliable bloomer for me.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

David, nice blooms & photos! I like aldrichii flowers, worth the wait.

Jan

• Denise
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photos, David. I've been growing aldrichii myself for several years and this year, it finally took off like a racehorse. Now I'm just watching for flowers, and those really make me excited to find them!

And lobbii is another that has grown by leaps and bounds for me. And I see a couple of peduncles, but it reminds me of polyneura - they seem to remain dormant for a long time. You give me hope!

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics (as always), David!!!

Can't wait to see more! Darn those thunderstorms!

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan ,hoya aldrichii is one of those hoya worth growing for it's foliage as well. For me it's super fast grower. My plant is probably 6ft long or longer. I think I may have gotten this hoya on either my first or second order with David Liddle. I have shared FEET of it with other growers and each time I cut it it bounces back with tons of new growth.

Denise,hoya lobbii is a great grower fo rme as well and it seems to make a new peduncle at almost every single leaf node. The only issue I had with it was that when it finally made up it's ind to develop some buds to the blooming stage,they would all blast. It did this a number of times, the buds would get to the point of almost opening and then blast.It only did this a few times though and since i've had no problem with them developing fully and opening up. I also have a dark red clone,another from Thailand which is supposedly pink,and a second one from Thailand which has foliage half the size of all the others. I probably won't see the other 3 bloom this year though as I recently chopped them all into pieces to form a larger pot!!

Carolyn, this time of year living this close to the ocean (about 1 1/2 miles from the Atlantic) and having the temps and humidity that we have right now T"storms are a daily occurrence. We do have a few days that we don't get them. The one we had yesterday was like a typhoon!!! It POURED non stop for at least 2 hours and the ground is already soaked here. We had a bad one last Thursday as well which left me without power for close to 5 hours,which meant no AC in all of this heat!!!!

For anyone who has never been to the Myrtle Beach are I know it sounds like I am complaining about the heat a lot but this is what we have to deal with on a daily basis this time of year. At 5 am (morning time) it can be anywhere from 85F or higher with equally high humidity. As the day goes on the temps rise and we end up with heat indexes of over 100F. Lately we've had heat index of between 105-115 each day. There was one day last week they said it would get to 125 with the index. It's been absolutely miserable just thinking about having to go outside. Also this time of year S.C. is just a big open target for any hurricanes which might come our way!

The local forecast has not mentioned a chance of rain for us today but if conditions are favorable for development ,which they usually are we could end up being hammered again today! Meanwhile while it's not raining i'll try to get some more pics to post!!!

• patrick51
    13 years ago

David...love the aldrichii....gorgeous!! I very recently received this hoya. I'm terribly fond of kanyakumariana....though I think I like endauensis even better! Excellent growing!! Fondly, Patrick

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Patrick,

I myself am in love with hoya endauensis as well but thus far have managed to kill at least 3 different plants from 3 different sources!!!! I am willing to give it another try though!!! I've tried getting a new start of it but there seems to be a small wait list on this one with most U.s. vendors at the moment.

David

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Beautiful plants and photos David. Does all the rain and humidity this time of year pose a problem with soggy potting mix when your plants are outside in the shade house?

Hoya cv Bangkok 4 always makes me think of Hoya parasitica crossed with subquintuplinervis or pachyclada but I think it was found at one of the flower markets in Bangkok and no one really knows the parentage.

I have been thinking of getting Hoya endauensis as well but I am afraid that it will develop into a large plant but never flower for me. Do you think I should give it a shot even with the possibility that it may never bloom?

Mike

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Ah, Mike...H. endauensis is a very small hoya and I doubt that it'd ever take up the room that most of our hoyas require. My endauensis is very tiny and I'm hoping I'll be able to find one or two more to help fill in the tiny pot...so, I keep checking Ebay hoping it'll appear again. If dmichael is interested, I won't bid....LMK, David. It is being offered by a Thai seller, but the plant's leaves look badly "pocked" and the leaves look much larger than my plant, and the seller states that the leaves are "dark green", whereas mine has pale green leaves...so, I will wait for a US seller to offer it. Go for it, Mike...it's stunning! Fondly, Patrick

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike if I could just get an endauensis to stay alive and grow i'd probably be satisfied if it didn't bloom!!! My last one did the best of the 3 that I had. It rooted quickly and grew from a 2 node cutting into a small plant about a foot long but then it began to decline and I was not able to restart any cuttings from it.

Thanks for the info on Bangkok #4.

The rain doesn't really cause any issues with the hoyas outside.Or it hasn't so far anyway. I don't have saucers on any of my hanging baskets, I remove them so no water is allowed to sit. The mix that I use to pot in is so quick draining that the water just goes right through it.

Patrick my endauensis also had rather drab more olive green leaves rather than dark green. I have seen the one on Ebay but hate to only purchase a single hoya and have to pay out of the ying yang for postage!!!!

David

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is an as of yet unidentified species from Thailand. I got this cutting from Joni several weeks (maybe no more than 3) ago and it rooted rather quickly and is now blooming!!! It's IML 1508 Ko Chang Island Thailand

this is one of my favorite hoyas for fragrance. If you closed your eyes and I held a cluster of flowers under your nose you'd swear you were smelling buttered popcorn!!! It's a compact,fast grower and stays in almost constant bloom.This is hoya heuschkeliana yellow form.

This last one is one of many clones of hoya lacunosa that I grow. It's H. aff lacunosa 'Giant" IML 1813. The flowers are typical lacunosa type flowers but at least twice if not 3 times the size of standard lacunosa blooms!!

• peanut01
    13 years ago

David:

My family and I are heading to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks. Can you recommend any nurseries in the area that have a selection of hoyas. I bought a Trachycarpus Fortunei last year from a nursery named 'Tropical Nursery' but other than that I did not visit many others.

I would attempt to initiate a trade but from your past posts I would think that you have every hoya already!!!

Thanks for consistently sharing your pictures with us. And thanks in advance on any local nurseries down in SC.

-David K

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?