Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Homemade Plant Hangers

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

One of my hobbies is crocheting and right now I'm making a plant hanger for myself. It isn't done yet, but I'll probably finish it tonight sometime. Any creative others out there that make their own? Macrame looks a little complicated to me, so I'll stick to crocheting my own or finding ones at yard sales/thrift stores. I'll post pictures tomorrow. The plant I'm making it for isn't a hoya but my string of hearts cuttings I should be getting here sometime this week.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (13)

• Denise
    13 years ago

What are you crocheting it out of, Brad? I'd think you'd need to use some pretty strong material to be in the sun and heat and not fall apart quickly, which is why using jute in macrame is so popular... I know some people find the hangers somewhat cheesy, but I love them. I have a HUGE one made of clear beads I got off eBay several years ago. I really love it when I find a unique plant hanger. Looking forward to your pics.

Denise in Omaha

• grmadarr
    13 years ago

I have crocheted Plant hangers and I crocheted them out of jute and one of those great big hooks that you can speed crochet with. Will watch for the pictures
    Good Luck GrmaDarr

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise, I'm crocheting out of plain multicolored yarn. Do you have a picture of the clear beaded hanger? I bought some hangers from Lowe's and they're holding up just fine. They look old fashioned but they're not the macrame ones. I do have a macrame one my gram gave me (she bought it from a thrift store) that my carnosa is in (I did have wayettti in it for awhile, then Pink Silver and now carnosa).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.. I've been macrameing plant hangers since I was in jr.high..You can come up with some pretty cool ones with a lil imagination.. I made a double one yrs ago..It had a branch about 3"around at the top then about 12" down another branch close to same size. In the middle of the branches I macramed a spider web with spider sitting in the middle of it. 1 hanger hung on one side of the bottom branch, the other from the other side of the bottom branch a lil longer than the first.. It was very nice..Alot of people only use the basic knot, but there are plenty of other knots you can add to the mix and come up with some unsual plant hangers..I also macramed my son-n-law a hammock one yr for christmas.. Made plant hangers that you hung one plant on top of the other..they can hold same size pots,or start with a small one on top, med size in middle and larger on the bottom,or you can make them to hold 2 pots one on top of the other,pot size is up to you. Just wanted to share my macrame story.would like to see pics of the crocheted ones..Sherri

• Denise
    13 years ago

Here's a photo of the hanger...

(Yes, that's Kermit looking like he's singing a song...) When the sun shines on the clear faceted beads, it creates a rainbow of color all over the room. I've been tempted to try to find a pattern and make one myself...

Sherrih, you must be the creative type. You wouldn't have a photo of that one with the spider web, would you? That sounds very cool!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise, that is a nice hanger! I love the Kermit doll! I've been a Muppet fan since I was a kid.

Here's my plant hanger I finished a little while ago. It looks uneven because the wind was blowing.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• angeleyedcat
    13 years ago

I love your plant hanger Brad, looks like it will be pretty sturdy. Brilliant idea the way it hugs the pot, it looks like you'd be able to use if for several pot sizes!

• Denise
    13 years ago

That looks like a good design, Brad. And I like the rainbow of colors. Very nice.

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone!

All I did was crochet a granny square (remember those old-fashioned afghans?) added an edging and made the straps in the corners. The yarn I've had for awhile and it came from Wal-Mart (Red Heart brand).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Brad I have never really tried to crochet but I did try to learn to work with fibers to create baskets and other forms. I found a book at a used book store and it was a great inspiration, the book is called A Modern Approach to Basketry With Fibers and Grasses by Dona Z. Meilach. I bet you could create some pretty cool hangers using different techniques, crocheting is included in the book but was a little difficult for me to start with so I used weaving and have not done much since. Did it take you long to learn how to crochet? Your plant holder looks nice so you must be pretty good at crocheting, my technique is still pretty sloppy.

Here is a gourd bird house that I made with a woven jute accent. I tried to do a similar piece that fitted around a plastic pot but it was difficult, maybe clay with nice sized top lip would have been better? I think that a natural fiber fitted macrame or woven pot holder would be pretty cool.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Aw that birdhouse is awesome, Mike.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I've been crocheting since ninth grade and I'm self taught. I learned knitting, embroidery and plastic canvas that way too. Sewing I'm not the greatest at but I'm working on it. Keep practicing, though your birdhouse looks great! Off and on (for a few years),I've been practing spinning yarn on a drop spindle. Someday, I'd love to learn on a wheel!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

That's cool you've been working on using a drop spindle, Brad. There's a spinning wheel and loom at my parents' farm that I'm always meaning to learn how to use. My mother is a flockmistress (heehee) so there's enough wool around to practice on - I just never seem to find the time.