Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harrison871

hoyas for a good price

Harrison871
12 years ago

can anyone recommend a good website/place that is pretty cheap to find hoya plants and cuttings? I am a little worried about buying off of ebay. I found a website that looked promising. I will post a link below so that yall can let me know if you think its a good spot to buy from.

Here is a link that might be useful: hoyas, a good place to buy?

Comments (8)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Yes,That is joni's site and she sometimes post on GW.She has very nice plants and cuttings so feel safe with shopping with her.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Go for it, Harrison. Joni is a great resource and a real sweetheart. Her plants are always healthy and pest-free in my experience, and more recently she's been trying to include multiple starts in a pot so that your odds are better if it's a delicate species and you get off to a bumpy start with it. This saved my tookus with waymaniae, I'll tell you. ^_~ Plus, she has a ton of really good ones in the August sale, imo. $10 is a steal for sure. You're not going to get it for less on ebay, at least not for plants of the relative rarity of most of her offerings. I think I got 25% of my plants during last year's summer sale.... jk (I think) :3

I prefer to avoid ebay, too, although it's a small world on there, hoya-wise, and if you have a question about a specific vendor on there, most of them are known to this group, so just ask. There are some sketchy ones, but there are also some solid gold ones there, like C Burton (thehoyan), David (dmichael619), and a handful of others I haven't ordered from personally, so I can't comment on. There are also a lot of threads devoted to the topic of vendors that you can find with a quick search.

If you want to know more about SRQ, do a quick search for Joni (or follow my link below) and you'll see that the name pops up a lot around here. Also, you can see when Dee visited her, pictures and all! woohoo!

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb/Hoya/Joni

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Totally! Shop with Joni!

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: SRQ Hoyas

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Harrison,

Don't know if you're a Hoya beginner or not, but Cowboyflowerman also has nice Hoyas for reasonable prices. Less advanced or exotic species than others, but he's both on Ebay & I believe also sells off it (think it's called 'Secret Garden'). I've always wanted to order from him (just not in a position to mail order these days). He has a good reputation here & he's gotten almost all good feedback.

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im a beginner in hoyas but not in other plants. I have a thing for the exotic. I have orchids and african voilets.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Harrison,

Not everyone finds Hoyas easy, you MAY wish to start w/ the cheaper, more accessible ones first (of course the more exotic, the pricier) to see if they're your cup of tea.

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My friend figured out that I had a green thumb after I took care of a plant for her in college. My first houseplant ever was two african violet leaves that a roommate gave me when it came off her plant. I ended up with four plants from those two leaves.
    I now have serveral african violets that love to bloom for me. My mom told me that they are a hard house plant to care for. I then moved to orchids. I am still in that stage of vadas, phals and dendrobiums(sp). This orchid show season I plan to branch out for more.
    In my quest to become a hoya grower as well I have now got three plants in full growth and had succesfully rooted a cutting that is now starting to put out new growth. (soooo happpy!) Now the goal is to get them to bloom. They are all still pretty small, so im not sure how long that will take.
    Are there any that you would suggest that I get that are good for beginners on SRQ?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

acuta, amoena, camphorifolia, diptera, dischorensis, fischeriana, fitchii, flavida, heuschkeliana, kastbergii, kenejiana, limoniaca, litoralis, lobbii, loherii, meliflua, memoria, merrillii, pallilimba, panchoi, pottsii, rigida, siamica, subquintuplinervis, surigaoensis, verticillata, wibergiae, aff. graveolens, aff. parasitica 'Lao 2', sp. Ban Ngon Ngoy

These are all plants that will give you 0 problems if you keep them in a well-draining medium, on the typical Hoya watering schedule, which is to say allowing the medium to get fairly dry before watering again. They're all pretty tough and forgiving of a typical beginner learning curve. I've never had any of them so much as drop a single leaf and I've always bitten off more than I can chew. I tend to water my Hoyas and my AVs on the same schedule, but just keep the Hoyas in a much much much more free draining mix. That's what works for me.