Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

My order from Joni came in!

goddess9
11 years ago

They came two days late, but that was not Joni's fault. They look good for being a hot box for almost a week! Some of the leaves look really bad. Will they bounce back or should I pluck them off?

H. pottsii 'Chiang Mai'. I've been wanting this for a while, and I was not disappointed. It is much larger than I thought it would be. Does this climb?

H. sp 910307 (Quivion area). Very pretty and bigger than I ever thought it would be.

This itty bitty plant is H. pubicalyx 'Bright One'.

All three.

Question: I found this piece barely hanging off of H. pottsii 'Chiang Mai' and I was wondering if this was large enough to root the plant or not.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (13)

• banannas
    11 years ago

Ya never know. I've had less get broken off of mine and many of them took and rooted when I stuck them back in with the parent plant. Can't hurt to try!

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Looks like you picked some good ones! I love Hoyas with large, thick leaves and prominent veins. They look pretty healthy to me and I bet they'll start growing again quite quickly. The little one can definitely be rooted. You may want to lay it sideways, burying it slightly with just the leaves protruding, so that it has as much vine as possible to root from.

Good luck with them!

-Chris

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Chris's directions for the snapped bit is right on the money. You don't need to completely bury it, just dig it in there, so soil rises up around all the nodes. Rooting this one will be a cakewalk, because it's nice and knotty - plenty of spots for roots to grow from. Just stick it horizontal in the same pot and don't let the soil go bone dry.

Yes, Chiang Mai does climb - it doesn't really twine so well on its own, but it's definitely upward reaching.

I only see one leaf that looks like it might die: that young one on the 910307. This is something that tends to happen with many leaves that undergo transport while they are still tender and developing, even when the shipping goes quickly. There's not much you can really do about it, but new ones will soon emerge to replace it, and it's just part of life. You can wait and see or nip it off. I definitely wouldn't remove anything else - the other leaves, if they are just looking deflated, will no doubt bounce back on their own.

I did a little cheer when I saw you'd opted for Bright One. :) It maybe be the smallest now, but it will grow like a champ. I am finally getting some publicalyx Pink Silver buds forming, so I can now side with the position of many other members here, that both DS-70 and publicalyx will bloom in an ordinary north window.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@bananas
    I will try, thanks! :)

@Chris
    I'm gonna plant it tonight in it's own little pot. If it doesn't take, oh well. It's my first foray into rooting. :)

@GG
    I think I will just clip it off. I see similar leaves on my other plants and they don' bounce back.

I am concerned about the yellow tinge on the leaves of Bright One, though. Thanks for the recommendations!

Lauren

• penfold2
    11 years ago

I've been resisting for a while, but after seeing this thread and getting a back in stock notification from Joni, I had to place an order. I got macgillivrayi 'Mt. Tozer' IML 0278 and tjadasmalangensis IML 1181. I swear, half of Joni's orders must be the result of GW enablers. :) I hope they ship out this Sat, but we'll see.

-Chris

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hehe, glad to have enabled someone for once. ^_^

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

lol Congratulations, Chris. Don't forget to post pictures when your plants arrive so you can infect the next unwitting reader.

It's kind of like The Ring: once you've seen the thread, you have to pass a link on to someone else or you will buy a plant within the next 10 days.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Well, I did it because it's contagious! Placed my very early B-day order from Joni; pinkie promise will not order more plants until X-mass! Of course there was no more javanica of any sort left (maybe I will spot one at a big box store)so I comforted myself with LOL a bigger order!
    Now I just need to tell DH what a great gift he got me! ;)
    Hoya fitchii f/n/a CMF-8
    Hoya sp. East of Thailand SRBR-JSNwf
    Hoya diversifolia ssp. el-nidicus
    Hoya pubicalyx 'Pink Silver'
    Hoya bicknellii
    Hoya archboldiana 'Jumbo Red'
    Hoya aff. scortechinii
    Hoya siamica

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

H. Fitchii is a really great Hoya. It isn't particularly difficult growing outside facing east. It grows fast, the leaves are so pretty and it won't be pissed if you neglect it a little.

Enjoy your hoyas!

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Well it looks like we kept Joni busy this week. lol

I had an order arrive also.

H. multiflora 'Milky Way'
    H. sp 'Golden Flame'
    H. pallilimba IML 1691
    H. buotii
    H. polystachya IML 1043
    H. annulata IML 0084

GG - you had commented before how different looking the 1120 and 0084 annulatas are. Wow! they sure are.

I've taken cuttings of the annulata and pallilimba to start rooting as they look like the perfect plants for mounting.

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Aggie

Those are some fantastic choices. Be careful not to let the aff. scortechinii dry out too much. The sp. East of Thailand SRBR-JSNwf is a real beauty, too!

@ Renee

Nice selection! Yeah, isn't it shocking about the annulatas? I can't wait to see pictures of the 0084 mounted.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

So there is a family picture of my latest additions! Package came today, I'm so happy that I got home early and could snap a photo to share will you all!
    Back:
    Hoya diversifolia ssp. el-nidicus
    Hoya pubicalyx 'Pink Silver'
    Hoya bicknellii
    Hoya archboldiana 'Jumbo Red'
    Front:
    Hoya siamica
    Hoya sp. East of Thailand SRBR-JSNwf
    Hoya aff. scortechinii
    Hoya fitchii f/n/a CMF-8

Aggie

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fitchii will get big in no time. ^_^

I love the size of her Hoyas! Sometimes you luck out and still get her larger pots.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County