Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyclonenat

Hoya linearis

cyclonenat
12 years ago

Is hoya linearis easy to grow? i got a big plant of it yesterday and its a light green colour with loads of flower buds on it, any info on watering light temperatures etc would be good thanks?

Comments (21)

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Got an image of this? This is a cool growing species and unless it is the real deal, I would advise growing it carefully. A plant for the more experienced grower as it is prone to die-backs and loss of growth.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would not call this one easy but you are in a nice climate zone to grow this one so you might not have problems with it. I grow my plant dry although I have rooted cuttings in my regular mix that stays moist and they have not been difficult. My plant does not do as well during the heat of the summer and it often drops some leaves but it continues to grow at the same time.
    How big a pot did your plant come in? This is one Hoya you really don't want to over-pot. Cuttings root fairly easily if you don't bury them but place a weight like a pebble on the cutting an wait for roots.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks exactly like the photo on the link of kellynits new buds page here http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg062217434224.html

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what temperatures are your summers, ours are usually around 25C

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The hottest it usually gets is 35C or a little above but the humidity soars and makes it feel like 40C at times. I think you will do well with this one as long as you get the watering down. Just watch your plant closely and remember to avoid keeping it soggy.
    There are some members here who got this species as large hanging baskets but they were in a very moisture retentive mix so it would be nice to hear how their plants fared.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i will check the pot that this plant is in to see if its too big or not will this be an issue i would rather have it in a pot suitable for its roots than it rot on me does that make sense will it affect the plant any in a new environment and maybe a pot change?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Just let us know the pot size (4",6",8") and roughly how much plant there is. Did you get a rooted cutting or an established plant? You don't want to disturb the plant unless you absolutely have to.

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I had a big plant of it, but I left it outside for the winter, which is really not a big deal here as I leave a lot of hoyas out in the winter. However it was in a EA basket & I don't know if it had that retentive soil or not, but after the first few rainy days...it went downhill fast & eventually I couldn't save much of it. I did have a few little cuttings, but alas..they finally went to plant heaven also. After reading other posts, I'm thinking this one is a bit too touchy for my tastes.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hoya Linearis comes from India. I had a large Linearis once, but it died back so not I have two small rooted branches. I find it very slow to grow, and mine bloomed for me only once.

It's true - it's not the easiest hoya to grow.

Keep in mind that the cool-growing hoyas: H. Linearis, H. Shepherdii, H. Serpens and H. Polyneura, etc. need a cool part of the house to grow in, esp. in the summer months. I have mine in the north-end of the house where it's less warm. They seem to be happy there.

TammyPie

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hoya polyneura grows really well here so this one might to with some luck, i only lost 3 hoyas over winter so not too bad, thanks for the info everyone i hope it adjusts allright to its new environment.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I have to admit that an 8" pot sounds too large but I also don't want to tell you to repot, especially if the plant looks happy.
    I really do think you will do well with this one because you live in such a moderate climate where you are in New Zealand. Having summers that don't get too hot is the key because you obviously have cold winters. I think the main point will be to let the potting mix dry a bit before you water again. I don't know if this Hoya develops a deep root system or not but I would guess that it doesn't. My plant is in a tiny 2.5" pot because I am afraid to repot it. LOL The longest growths are about 5' long now and there are four or five growths in total.
    I think I will have to pot my plant up to a slightly larger pot soon as it's turning to fall and growth should speed up again soon.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

May I just say that this is the one plant that I am growing well? I know, I know, what's the deal? I can't grow many hoyas that are for beginners, and this baby came as a few cuttings and is now a very full 6 inch plant in just under 2 years. I'm stumped, but hey I'll take it's steady and reliable growth.

We have coolish summers and my house is downright cold in winter (cheap on heat). I got one umbel last winter and there were many more, but then it started to warm up and I'm not too sure where they went...

I do let mine dry out slightly between waterings, mostly because I forget to check frequently. It seems to like a very fast draining mix, as I've put it in a mix meant for phalaenopsis with the odd bit of moss, grit and charcoal thrown in (I'm experimental - actually I like to use up whatever is laying around in open bags). I have it right next to polyneura and they are like the odd couple. Linearis is Felix.

I hope it grows well for you, as it is really a neat plant.

Kelly in Victoria

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

For what it is worth, this one grows easily for me as well, and has yet to drop a leaf. Like Kelly, I let mine dry out. I potted it in coir chunks, assuming from the look of it that I'd want to keep it on the moister side. However, it actually receives a pretty typical Hoya watering schedule. I think mine is about 4-5 branches also, between 1-2' each, and it's in a 3.4" pot.

It looks like David (peanut01) probably grows his in about that size and this is how big HIS is, for reference:

Source: peanut01

On a side note, I had no idea there are/were two varieties of linearis. Just thought that was interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. linearis var. sikkimensis

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG thanks for that link.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi my linearis isnt quite that full and the plant is half the length of the longest lot of leaves, so do you think i should repot it?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

No I think as long as you let it dry a little and just generally watch the moisture level you will be ok. If your plant starts to decline in health let us know and we will try to figure out the best approach to fix the problem. Because your plant is established and in good health it would be too traumatic to repot now and risk it suffering from the change.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thankyou everyone for the info and help i will let you know how it gets on, im sorry i couldnt post a pick my camera is dead grrrrr

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

It is one of the easiest plants to grow for me. I leave it sitting in the air conditioner in front of a southeast window and it has almost grown to the floor. I let mine dry out and then put them in the bathtub for a drenching. They constantly grow but I haven't had any blooms yet. Mine is so long I sometimes step on the limbs as I take it to the bathroom. If you loose some limbs just make a semi hydroponics container with hydroton and stick them in there. They root easily in that stuff.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Wow look at that linearis.It's gorgeous.I have been looking to find one of the EA ones every time I go across the line to shop but no luck yet.

Cindy

• Angie Kam
    6 years ago

HI All! I received this plant on the mail in an 8” pot and it’s 2 feet long. Not very full but bueautiful. After being in maybe house (winter with heat on) some of the bottom leaves (tip of stems) are turning light yellow and falling off. The moisture thermometer says that the soil is moderately moist still so I hesitate to water it. I mist it once a day in case of the house being too dry. How do I know why then leavws are falling off while the rest of the plant seem healthy? Please help!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor