Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjblanche

Hoya Lacunosa Hours of Light?

jjblanche
9 years ago

Hey all. I posted in the houseplant forum the other day looking for a fragrant plant for an area I have set up. Someone suggested lacunosa and after a bit of research it looks perfect for my space (i.e, something that doesn't get tall but sprawls out a bit and/or hangs). In this particular space there's very little natural light by design, so I've rigged up a 27 watt 6500K CFL which should support the plant nicely.

After poking around some sites I found the international hoya association which said 16 hours of light per day for blooming. Is this required? The light I'm using is quite a bit stronger than your average T8 grow fixture...but I'm not sure if it's strength/quantity of light that causes blooming, or the actual photoperiod. Something closer to 12 hours light per day would be about ideal but I can go longer and/or supplement with natural light when the CFL is off.

Also while I'm asking questions, is there a particular variety of lacunosa that's preferable? Where do you guys order them? I have a few well stocked nurseries and garden centers close by but am not holding my breath that they'll have any.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Also if anyone knows the approximate distance the hoya should be kept from the light I'd be greatly appreciative! Many thanks!

This post was edited by jjblanche on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:12

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County