Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

H. Pachychlada seedling

User
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Remember back to when SueTran shared these seeds w/ us? I was one of the fortunate who received them. This is my surviving seedling.

Planted last Oct., 14 seeds, about 8-10 sprouted (which pix I'd shared here); sadly several months ago they got a bit too dried out. I got there just in time to save this sole survivor.

A closer pic

This set up lives near a west window & when the weather's nice I sometimes leave the container open. Don't know how old this needs to be before I leave it open to the air permanently. I'd welcome your opinions on that pls. I've never grown this Hoya so I'm eager to see what it'll be like when it grows up more.

Thanks again Sue!

Comments (18)

• rennfl
    11 years ago

It looks nice and healthy. No idea on the answer to your question though.

My serpens seedlings are growing quite quickly right now, a couple even have 3 - 4 sets of leaves already.

Renee

• scsva
    11 years ago

So cute. You're doing well with it. Congrats!

Susan

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another update, a month later. I hope SueTran sees this (from her seeds), I'm so pleased it's still coming along nicely.

I often leave the container open so it gets fresh air.

The leaves feel a bit thick (fleshy) to the touch.

Just watered on this late summer day.

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

I got 15 seeds, most germinated and have about 10 plants surviving, including an itty-bitty one; most are quite healthy, so I was fortunate.
    What fun to grow - again thanks to Sue Tran.

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

I started my seeds individually, in a plastic egg carton with dirt/drainage hole + heating pad + Saran wrap and a grow light. They all germinated v. well; think separating them in a group, later, would have been a challenge for me; (wish I had as much success with cuttings!!)
    Kathy

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Kathy,

Nice jobs, those are pachyclada seedlings also, right? Wow, very cool to see what mine should grow into. I appreciate you sharing details of how you grew 'em; if I try seed again, I will strive to find a way to give them bottom heat. Seems to make a world of difference.

• Klea
    11 years ago

Those pachyclada seedlings look fantastic, Kathy! Although they don't look much like seedlings anymore, do they? lol So big and lush!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Great updated photo, Kathy! I am inspired. Mine definitely aren't that big yet. Did you keep them outside this summer?

I add my thanks to Sue for the seeds. It's really fun having so many people in a seedling group. It feels like I'm attending a high school reunion. Should I be holding my seedlings up to the screen right now? Or at least giving them a good story to impress their classmates with.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GG,

How about some pix, so we can see how they're doing & maybe compare w/ other results? Just curious.

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

Hang in there - the Pachy leaves are truly beautiful as they grow. I just kept my seedlings inside my sunroom this summer since nights are pretty cool in Colorado.
    Also got some H. fungii seeds started from Sue resulting in about 30 plants around the same time. Now I suspect a little interference from a different parent?? as they have a noticeable carnosa-look with some long vines. Can see the risk in growing from seed that the offspring may not grow true to the parent. But these H. pachyclada look pretty darn identical to H. pachyclada.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ PG

Will do, next time I get home in time to catch the light. :)

@ Kathy

You definitely do a fantastic job with your seedlings. I moved mine to higher light after your last photo, but I think I still haven't gotten the setup perfect. They definitely look like plants now, but whoa, yours are something else! :)

I'd be interested in seeing these fungii seedlings when you have the opportunity.

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

Posting some photos of yr-old H. fungii seedlings:
    about 30+ seeds sprouted

lots of variation in young plants; one with a lot of "splash", one with H. chelsea-like leaves, some with fungii patterned leaves

close-up of spashy-leafed seedling

one more assortment;

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Fascinating, Kathy! It's so much fun to look at all that variety. I am really enjoying your photos.

So, here's the next question... do you have a favorite?

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Kathy thank you so much for posting these photos. The Hoya fungii (I'm skeptical of the ID as well) seedling photos do a fantastic job of explaining the variation within a species. I always try to explain this to people when they are trying to ID a plant, just because your plant does not look exactly like someone elses does not mean they are different species!

You have done a great job growing your seedlings.

Mike

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

GG: H. Pachyclada seedlings have the most beautiful leaves - these resemble what I expect a Pachy parent to look like. One seedling has a little variegation, which I will monitor closely ;)
    The H. fungii seedling with the variegated leaves (which I know is not typical, is my favorite)so I transplanted it early into a bigger pot where it has thrived. Meanwhile the other little guys are looking a bit stunted, and do need a transplant soon, but where will I put them all??
    Kathy

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Yeah... I don't know! I just moved all my outdoor plants in last night. So I'm dealing with a bit of a "where will I put them all" conundrum of my own. Perhaps you should make some plant swings. That's what I want to do! :)

Source: nr45

• alba_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi Pirategirl,
    I too was fortunate to receive some of Sue's Pachychlada babies. However, I haven't been so lucky. Two died a few weeks after they arrived and the last surviror is dying, she only has two leaves and one is shriveling up...so there goes my poor Pachychlada. I tried everything to keep her alive but to no avail....
    I saw some of the pictures that were posted of Pachychlada's that have made it ...they are so beautiful!
    alba in Hawthorne,CA

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

Hey, Pirate_girl and Alba_gardener, in the Spring, contact me and I can send one of my Pachy seedlings/plants to you.

How many do I need, anyway??? :)

Kathy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus