Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grmadarr

Hooked on Hoyas

grmadarr
13 years ago

Hello all;

You have me roped in!! Love the forum and am learning some new ideas. Is there any tutors out there? HA I have a very old hoya and I just got a new one(Bilobata).Will sure be looking for more. Is there any books that would help me understand names and terms? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Loads and good luck to all of you

Comments (7)

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I don't know of any books but this forum is a huge vat of information and some others will be able to give you some really awesome websites to look at.

We are all experts in something or another and we are all ready and willing to answer any questions! We love, love, love pictures too! Pictures are crucial in identifying species and problems and stuff.

We're all very happy to assist you in your new addiction!! Just ask away!

• grmadarr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tigerdawn for the follow up. I will surely be watching for advise.I will have to learn how to put pictures on the forum! All of you folks sound like experts to me. Am anxious to hear from more of you! I need some hints on ordering more plants or cuttings, Love all the pictures!!

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Welcome grmadarr! I've been growing hoyas for a little over two years (I started out with a carnosa cutting in May of '08 and have built up from there). I am by no means an expert, but like TD said, we're all willing to share growing information with new hoya growers!

I do have some old houseplant books that mention hoyas and they mostly talk about carnosa and/or bella. One book I got does talk about some other species like lacunosa, but mostly carnosa and bella.

The MG Houseplant book is one that's recent and gives more info about hoyas. I got it out of a book catalog.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Despite being a huge book lover, I tend to do most of my research online for topics like plants and cooking. And although it's a lot easier to find the perfect recipe for matcha cupcakes than the perfect recipe for Hoya maintenance, I think you'll be genuinely surprised by how swiftly you'll get your feet under you just reading old threads here and browsing some of the excellent Hoya websites that are out there. You'll be passing yourself off as an expert to newcomers (if not to the true experts) in no time. ^_^

I'm including a link below of an older discussion on reference materials. Some of the information is dated, but it still has some very interesting thoughts and suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on Hoya publications

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The best resource by far is Stemma Journal, a free online Hoya magazine. The downloads section contains all past issues and make sure to check the gallery.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Puglvr just told me that the Stemma Journal site is down, probably for good, what a loss.

The best book to date has to be Botanovas The Genus Hoya, Ebay or straight from Botanova is the only way to get this up to date book on Hoyas. Many of the older books are full of improperly identified plants although they are still nice to look at, none are really inexpensive so having proper identifications is much more worth the money.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanova Hoyas

• grmadarr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike I have been trying to get on that link but so far this darn pc won't let me. guess I will stick with the forum!!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County