Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

Rooting Chamber

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Well, still haven't heard back about my plants from Thailand . . . but I did get the rooting chamber going! A friend gave me an old 10 gallon aquarium with a hood. I didn't want to buy and expensive heater for it . . .but today I had a feeling it was a good day to go to Petsmart. Sure enough, they had their 5-10 gallon heaters on clearance for $4.50 (sure beat the original price of $17.99)! Okay, so in anticipation of needing another setup soon, I bought the two heaters they had left. :)

And, they also had these cute purple lights called Aqua Glo lights. The lady said they were good for the plants, so I got a couple of those, as well. :)

So, it's all hooked up and waiting for the cuttings to arrive. I'm tempted to take cuttings of something I already have and test it out . . . my curiosity is KILLING me!

Carolyn

Comments (10)

• peanut01
    13 years ago

I recall my last order from Thailand taking about 14 Business days which worked out to be like 20 days. I suspect you should receive them soon unless they were confiscated :( I was very happy with my cuttings from Aleya's Garden though. When your chamber is all setup share some pics. I will have to check my local pet smart for a heater. What did it look like? Are they in the reptile or fish section?

Thanks,
    David

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The heater is a Hydor mini heater for 5-10 gallon aquariums. It is a submersible in the fish section. :) Can't go wrong with a cheap heater for a rooting chamber! ;)

My chamber is all set up . . . just no plants in it, yet. Oh, but I did get an email from Aleya Garden . . . they shipped them EMS, yesterday!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

EMS is the best shipping method because the others are too slow and you end up with severly stressed or dead cuttings. EMS takes 8 days to make it from Thailand, through customs and to my door. Sometimes the shipments don't leave Thailand for a week or so because they have to wait for the agricultural inspectors to arrive and look over the plants.

I am still waiting to hear back from Paul Shirley and Anders from Botanova, both must be away. It's funny that both my rooting tanks are still full of cuttings and I am still thinking of ordering more. :) LOL :)

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I have to agree with Mike That EMS is the only way To get hoya cuttings from Thailand.Other wise you will open your box of hoya cuttings and find them dead.

Mike, From my understanding and experience when a vendor is ready to ship your package.The vendor has to take the box and hoyas down to the inspection office to have them looked at and the phyto cert done.This is how I met the owner from Apodgas 2 years ago with your hoya that you ordered.

I have been trying to get my last order of the season shipped from Botanova and have been told it will ship this week.He has been away all summer at a new house that they have just brought.
    Mike, what are you thinking about getting?

Carolyn, good luck with your new hoya cuttings.I hope they arrive fast and healthy.

Cindy

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And I did, in fact, have them shipped EMS. I've been checking the tracking info, on the Thai website, but it keeps showing "Item Not Found". Kinda worries me. :(

Carolyn

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Carolyn,
    It usually takes a couple of days to show up on the site - keep checking www.usps.com to see when it hits the states. My one order was here in 5 days!

Totally understand about full rooting chambers and wanting more.....heavy sigh....my want list is starting to dwindle...somewhat, but I can't get over this feeling of wanting to get everything NOW! Trying to be good...

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy I was thinking of getting an unidentified yellow flowered species refereed to as no.1 1977 Mindanao , hoping it might be this gorgeous plant below. Hoya rigida was also on the list and Dischidia hirsuta.
    http://www.apodagis.com/Hoyas/unknown_hoyas/unknown_72.html

The Paul Shirley plants were Hoya picta, Hoya serpens, a very succulent Hoya verticillata (GPS 10080) that has leaves more like subquintuplinervis, and GPS 10167 which has blooms like Hoya incrassata but with much more interesting leaves in my opinion.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp GPS 10167

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike I like the look of hoya 1977 if it is the same one as the photo. I also want to get Dischida hirsuta. I did not know that they were also selling Dischidas.

I have to get GPS 10167. I love the leaves but I will have to wait until next spring for any more orders.

I,m waiting on my order from Botovana and was lucky to be asked to join in on a order from joni so I have no more room.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    Ted Green has D. hirsuta! Got it last year and have it growing mounted in a little terrarium. It's cute!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy Botanova has a large collection of Dischidia if you ask, they were supposed to be put up on the site some time as well. I heard back from Paul Shirley today. :)

Mike

Sponsored