Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoyas that get red leaves

Posted by trace00969 zone 3 Alberta Canad (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 0:43

So there are a few hoyas that get reddish or purplish or pinkish leaves when they are young and then they mature to green. I know the color depends on the amount of light the plant gets too.....but it you get a hoya with green leaves (thinking KW, KP, pubicalyx) will leaves already on the plant go purplish/reddish/pinkish with higher amounts of light? Or is this from too much light? The reason I am asking is I got what I think is a hoya pubicalyx "pink silver". but now that I have brought it home and put it under much more light, the leaves are reddening....so I am thinking maybe a hoya pubicalyx "chimera" or "RHP", but I haven't seen any new growth yet, just some of the younger current growth on it is going reddish. Am I burning the plant, all my other hoyas are doing okay, but the pubicalyx is new to me.

Thanks everyone

Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoyas that get red leaves

Hi Tracy,
Here is my RHP plant. Only the young leaves are reddish but as they get order they turn green.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

If my pink silver gets too much light, the leaves go a paler green, but sometimes very new growth can be a red of bronze color.

o

Nice pic thanks, but do your leaves emerge purple? Can older, but newer growth suddenly go purple because of higher light levels? Or is this a sign of burn, so far mine has gotten purple splashes, I am hoping it to be a "chimera" or "RHP", but am wondering if maybe I am burning the plant?

Tracy

o

I think if the leaves were burning it will turn pare color then brownish and dry. Maybe you can post a photo so we can see what it looks like. Notice on top leaves on my plant it's green so the new leaves does not always come out bronzy red.
Jan

o

Reddening *older* growth is a sign of TOO MUCH LIGHT when growing under artificial light. When growing orchids I let the foliage get a slight blush of red, but progressively reddening foliage will soon turn to brown and dry up.

o

Thanks Shiver, I think that may be the prob, they are under HID light, so I am going to move it away or lower from the light.

Thanks

Tracy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here