Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

What do you do with your kerrii?

quinnfyre
13 years ago

I asked this in a post of Denise's, somewhat idly, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm curious. How do all you kerrii growers deal with the way it grows? My kerrii has, over the summer, grown a 2 ft going on 3 ft leafless vine, heading straight upward. It is not flexible in the least, though not yet at the woody stage, still green. I was growing it in a hanging pot, but this got ridiculous, so I repotted it over the weekend and gave it a 2 ft trellis, and it is already reaching the top. It is showing no signs of stopping its upward climb. I really don't want to cut it, as it has at least 2 or 3 peduncles just barely showing up, but I'm not going to be able to put it in the spot where it was happy, until I find a taller plant stand.

Filled in with leaves, this will look awesome, but is there a way to train it? Or will I have to trim the top to limit its height and convince it to branch out instead? And does anyone know of a good source for a 40-44 inch high plant stand that isn't super expensive?

I did end up overpotting it somewhat, to accommodate the trellis I needed to support that vine, but kerrii doesn't seem like one that will mind, as long as I let it dry out before watering. And maybe that will distract it for a little while, concentrating on growing some more roots rather than heading ever upward?

Comments (4)

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

I just wrap mine around/through/up/down the trellis as it grows . . . if you wait too long, the vines tend to try and snap on ya.

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Quinn, I have a vine on my Kerrii as well that is out of control. I finally decided I was going to twirl it to make a circle..to at least keep it in check(somewhat). I grow this one outside under my date palms and I didn't want it to attach to the palm tree since I knew I would have to bring it inside during the frost/freeze nights we occasionally get...I also had to repot it to a 6" clay pot as it was so heavy it kept falling over. At first I thought I was going to snap the vine because it did ooze some white sap on the stress point, but luckily it didn't. I put a few orchid clips to keep it in check, we'll see what happens. One of the reasons I think my Kerrii will be an only child,lol...NO other varieties of Kerrii for me, one because they are a space HOG and the other, I read the blooms are quite messy. Although I'm still waiting for my first bloom. I read on my Hoya book that they can take some direct sun. It's doing very well in the spot I have it in so far.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I think the best approach is to grow this one in as bright a light as you can give it so that it will stay compact. When it starts to grow upwards give it a trellis and then secure and wrap the vine around the top of the trellis. I saw a friends plant just covered in peduncles where the upper portion had grown into a loop at the top of the support.

My plant is in bright southern sun and right under two 40W fluorescent tubes but it's still not as compact as I would like. I am going to pot it up on a trellis and then once it forms peduncles I will trim off any new growth that gets out of control and give it away as cuttings. The vines can become thinner and climbing in too little light and then you get a really unruly plant. I have seen photos on the Thailand Hoya Club site that show this species growing in full tropical sun on the side of a tree many feet from the ground, it's a tough one.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, it seems that maybe it is more flexible than I had thought, since you all are managing to bend it somewhat. I'm going to watch the top growth and try and keep that under control, and train that bit back around into a hoop as it grows. Mike, it was right up against a south window, which is about as much light as I can give it, unless I take it outside, but then it would have to fend for itself, because due to the amount of mosquitoes we have this year, I can't go out for more than 30 seconds without getting multiple mosquito bites. I am really allergic to mosquito bites, and it itches to the point where I really can't think of much else. My neighbor has an above ground pool she set up for her grandkids, but they haven't been by in months, and she never drained it. So, yeah, mosquito central. Seeing as how I actually managed to kill opuntia in my backyard, I tend to think that kerrii will not do any better.

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Now I just have to find a tall plant stand so I can put it back in the south window. I almost think I'd have better luck building my own.

Sponsored