Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya krohniana 'Eskimo'

mdahms1979
12 years ago

Here is that photo of my Hoya krohniana 'Eskimo' cutting that was requested.

I got this plant as Hoya pusilla but still not quite sure what it is. You see photos of both Hoya pusilla and nabawanensis with both looking like the same plant with perhaps no difference other than one plant has broader leaves than the other. Regardless of the name this is a very beautiful Hoya that flowers early and often. I got this Hoya as a cutting last fall and it has become a nice sized plant already and bloomed at least four or five times on multiple peduncles over the past couple of months.

Mike

Comments (34)

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the little flowers, Just love how fuzzy they are. :)

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I love it, is that have fragrance like lacunosa?
    I looking for a trade of this one, anyone?

• postpunkgirl
    12 years ago

Great pictures Mike! Beautiful side view! I'm really loving the speckled leaf varieties, of late... like my Pink-Silver... and I have been wanting a Hoya curtisii, but the flowers on your Eskimo are much prettier, in my opinion!

~Sara

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just to be clear the Eskimo cutting is new to me so it has nothing to do with the flower photos below it other than the two species (krohniana, lacanosa,pusilla) are in the same section of the genus (Otostemma) and have similar flowers. The flowers on the plant I got under the name Hoya pusilla are much larger than those of Hoya lacanosa.

Banannas the heart leafed Hoya lacansa plants were published as Hoya krohniana in Fraterna magazine 22(4) pg. 9-12 (2009) by Kloppenburg & Siar, named in honor of Phillip Krohn. The proper way to refer to these plant now is by the new name krohniana.

Sue that Hoya pusilla(?) plant does have a fragrance but I can't remember what it smells like and I have a cold right now so my nose is useless. I am ready to admit that I like this one more than Hoya lacanosa because of how trouble free it has been and with an impressively fast rate of growth.

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Beautiful little varigated krohniana, Mike. So cute. I tell ya...I am so confused on these lacunosa plants. I just had my heart shapped one (H. krohniana now)bloom, and the bloom looks and SMELLS exactly like every other lacunosa plant I have ever had. I also have one I got from Debbie years ago that she had labeled "spotted lacunosa" that looks exactly like the one I just got from Joni called lacunosa "Thai Clone". Both of these plants have almost the same heart shape as the one now known as krohniana. I get so frustrated with hoya names and the very close similarites.
    I also used to have H. pusilla that I got from Carol as that. It was a beautiful plant that grew into a very long and blooming beauty. Unfortunatly, it was one I lost during my troubled times. I am definatly going to replace that one soon however. It also smelled very much like the lacunosas (very carnation like to me), but like you said, the blooms were much bigger.

• Auntie_hammer
    12 years ago

very nice one Mike. Hope it'll grow well for you.
    mairzy_dotes - I don't think we should confuse silver markings with variegation

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Remember back in the other thread where we were talking about Hoya lacanosa and krohniana, check the two links I posted to see the differences between the species. Species are differentiated most importantly by floral morphology which in Hoyas includes the corolla and corona and the pollen masses called pollinia.

Now getting to all the different Hoya lacanosa plants, these are much easier to understand. If you were to go on a plant collecting trip as a botanist you might encounter many specimens of a single species in your travels. You could get Hoya lacanosa from Thailand or from Malaysia an so on, anything after the actual botanical name (Hoya lacanosa) is just a descriptive term such as location of origin etc.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

Maybe one of you could clear this up for me. Lacunosa or Lacanosa? (have a number of them and am confused about the spelling?:)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

AH---You are sooo right. I was in the wrong to say "variegated krohniana". I ment to say krohniana 'Eskimo'. Having one of my senior moments I guess. Ha.

Mike--thanks for the info. It does explain why they changed the name. I guess the pollen masses and the corolla & corona must be different under a microscope. However...they still look & smell the same to my old eyes and nose. Ha. However, the leaves of the heart shapped ones are definately very different than the regular ones we know as lacunosas.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelly you are right it is lacunosa and I have been spelling it wrong all along. Ok now time to burn that proper spelling into my brian.

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

Cutie!

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi mike, very very beautful your hoya eskimo!!!

please can you tell me something about it?

thanks.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I really love the Eskimo Mike, it's so cute! Of course, you always have such beautiful plants. I'm envious of your set-up! ;)

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lalla62 is there anything specific you want to know about this plant? In the beginning of the thread we talk about this species and how it was raised to species status vs being a variety of Hoya lacunosa. If you want to find this one for sale you will have to order from Thailand, Aleya's Garden was my source for this and many other Hoyas.

Thanks Tina, you should see my set-up now as it's an absolute jungle with Hoya vines reaching out in every dircetion. Many of my plants have completly covered their five foot tall bamboo supports. It's a wonder I still add more new plants. A Thai and an Australian order just arrived in Canada so I will have even less space come this time next year.

Mike

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mike,

You'll have to post photos eh? I'd love to see some more recent ones. I'll take more of the ones I've got, once I get plant hooks into the ceiling and everything rearranged. I have had to move things to the kitchen table because of the Great Dane being a dork with his total lack of grace. :D My plants are going to suffer if I don't relocate them! hehe

~Tina

• lalla62
    12 years ago

mike i would like to know how to treat my rooted cuttings from thailand..

some requirements of lacunosa??

i want to put photo of hoya eskimo, and hoya lacunosa snow caps...i think this is not lacunosa snow caps,it is different from those i see on web.
    mine has heart shaped leaves...

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hoya lacunosa snow caps ( apodagis )

hoya eskimo ( apodagis )

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lalla62 in this thread we talk all about this, I am wondering if you have read through yet?
    The plants that have heart shaped leaves were renamed or more properly given species status as Hoya krohniana. The plants that do not have heart shaped leaves are still Hoya lacunosa. If you get a plant with heart shaped leaves that is named Hoya lacunosa it is wrong, there are many Hoyas sold with wrong names and you can not trust a Google image search to help at all if you are trying to identify Hoyas either.

Now to your question about the two in your photos. The plant Hoya krohniana 'Eskimo' is a horticultural selection made because it has especially speckled leaves. This may have began as a single vine on a plant that was removed and propagated. The other cuttings you show with the name Snow Caps looks to be the same as krohniana but with less speckled leaves than 'Eskimo'. If you look at Tina's recent post about her new plants you can see a Hoya lacunosa 'Snow Caps' and you will notice the difference in leaf shapes.

Mike

• lalla62
    12 years ago

mike i am sorry if i made you repeat, but i have nor read all the forum, and i don't know the recent post of tina..

now i will try to read!!!

syntetizing i have received two krohniana hoyas!!

one with more spots on the leaves....

buy on web can be risky,but i trusted this seller!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem just read this post from the very start and it talks quite a bit about Hoya krohniana. I will link to Tina's post about her new Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps.
    Hoya krohniana used to be lumped together with Hoya lacunosa and up above in the post you can see where it is explained, when and by whom this plant was renamed and given species status as Hoya krohniana.
    It's hard to tell of both your plants have heart shaped leaves. If the one you got as Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps does not have heart shaped leaves then it is in fact Hoya lacunosa. There is much variation within this species and there can be tiny leaves all the way up to three inch long leaves, leaf shape also varies so ultimately the separation comes down to the sexual organs and most importantly the pollinia or pollen masses.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Tina's new Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps

• PattysPrettyPlants
    12 years ago

Have a lacunosa "eskimo" got this summer late summer almost fall it's in my little indoor greenhouse doing great... I think this will be an awesome Hoya. I wish you guys luck with yours. I have bottom heat on mine and it is growing and has great color hope it stays that way...

• Hera
    12 years ago

Hello everybody. I am a newbie to hoyas from Turkey and would like to thank all of you for the valuable information shared in this forum.

The only "real" flower I saw up to now is the Krohniana's. It was a nice surprise for me since it bloomed only 3,5 months after I got the cutting. You can check the pictures through the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Krohniana

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi hera!!!!

beautiful your hoya kroniana!!!!

finally someone near to me!!!!

are you interested to change cuttings???

• Hera
    12 years ago

Ciao Lalla62. Thank you for the comments.
    I only have 20 different species which seems to be a small number compared with many people in this forum and dont have any experience to send plants/cuttings to foreign countries with our super(!) postal system. But there is no reason for me to not to try :) Let's wait for the spring...

• lalla62
    12 years ago

ciao hera!!!

ok.... waiting for spring...

i have got about 30 species,some are great plants. some little, some rooted cuttings...

we can try...

a presto..ciao ciao...!!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Hera!... Beeeeutiful pictures!.. very nice!... and you "only have 20" species!...

Lalla... your plants are great as well; and you have about 30!... Well I am new to hoyas!... --I only have 10... and a couple of those are daughter and granddaughter to my original.. which died b/c I didn't know what I was doing... I thought she needed a bigger pot!... poor thing; I'd had her for about 20 years... she was quite large, but never bloomed; but I didn't know she was capable of that!

Not sure I could find room in my new apt for so many!...hmmmm? there's always room for 1 more !... great pics.. thanks so much for sharing.. nice to see that people all over the world love hoyas!... Eileen in Vermont (darkish and chilly.. not much sun these days)

• lalla62
    12 years ago

ciao eileen, grazie for your sharing!!!

do not worry, 10 hoyas is a beginning,your collection will increased with time....

with this passion you will always want more and more!!!

i am italian and my englih is not perfect,, i am sorry!!!

here now are 20C,a mild temperature, but winter is going to came here!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I hope Hera is OK. She posted here in this thread that she is from Turkey and there was just a big earthquake there.

• Hera
    12 years ago

Hi Mairzy. Unfortunately a massive earthquake hit the east of Turkey yesterday. I am fine (living just on the boards of Istanbul)but as just reported by authories, 217 people were killed, 1090 people were injured and 366 people is waiting to be rescued for now.. God help them since the temperature in this area is around 0 degree Celcius and snow is expected...

Eilen, well 10 is greater than 0! I am sure you will be surprised how creative you can be to find more space for Hoyas, as you are being more and more addictive to them :) Thinking vertically is always useful to gain some space in small apartments (mine is only 65 meter square!) Remember shelves which are my favorite furniture :) Nothing to do with climate, but in another forum, I coincided a man who is very very successful to bloom many hoya species and living in Vermont.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hera, we're SO glad you are okay! I'm very sorry for the family of the people that lost their lives and were affected by this horrible disaster. Hoping they rescue all those people. Sending our thoughts and prayers.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

ciao hera....

yestarday i thinked about you and turkey...

i am happy you are fine, but i am sad for people died!!!

temperature doesn't help searching people under rubble...i understand....

we pray for them.

• Hera
    12 years ago

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your concerns! It is good to know that prayers are with the earthquake survivors all aroound the world...

• Bozena Matusewicz
    3 years ago

Bardzo bym chciała szczepke tej hoji czy to mozliwe

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro