Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Things I Wish I'd Known (TIWIK): Fall Edition

greedygh0st
12 years ago

So, as Brad so eloquently pointed out, it has magically transformed from "Why is my air conditioning bill a million dollars?" to "I can't keep my windows open unless I turn the electric blanket on" in the space of, what, a week?

Since I consider fall the scariest time of year (plantwise), I thought maybe we could start a thread for everyone to post their favorite tricks and strategies for getting their plants through this period of transition.

And then the rest of us can ooooh and ahhhh at your brilliance and foresight.

What do you say?

Comments (11)

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

For me, it isn't so bad, because I have the odd situation where as it gets closer to winter, the light coming through my window actually increases. Not in duration, of course, because the days are getting shorter, but the angle of the sun changes such that sunlight comes in through my third floor window much more easily. However, I did supplement with LED Christmas lights. I don't have any data supporting or negating the benefits of this but I didn't have any sulky plants when I did this, whereas the year before, I definitely did. Again, too many variables to make a solid conclusion... the plants that were sulky were less established then they were the following year, and that could've been the difference.

One tip, watch which plants you keep closest to the window. If they are particularly cold sensitive, I'd move them a bit further away and trade a less cold sensitive one in that spot. The less sensitive one is less likely to suffer and will kind of block some of the cold from the more sensitive one. I had all intention of moving subcalva back from the window for that reason but the benefits of the extra sun seemed to balance out the risk.

I wish I had a week. For me, it was more like one day. One day I had my air conditioning on, the next I was shivering while waiting for the bus and I was actually wearing a sweater at the time because I knew it would be chillier. I just didn't know how much chillier, obviously. That was a miserable wait. And the bus was 10-15 minutes late, plus I got to the stop early. Brrr.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I'm not a fan of policing other people's grammar, because I find it rude, but I WILL police mine, though I try not to go too crazy with it. In this instance it is in fact bothering me so I'll correct it. I meant to say 'the plants that were sulky were less established THAN they were the following year'. Whoops.

Yeah, I know. Not a huge deal. Ha ha :)

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Our temperatures down here on the Gulf Coast are mild enough that the plants can be left out until we get a weather prediction of temps that the plants won't tolerate. Then it's a rush to get some in the house and others in the greenhouse. I was fortunate enough 4 years ago to be able to buy a greenhouse (not a fancy one) and I have loved it. Not too hard to heat since out winters are usually not severe. Right now I am slowly bringing in the ones I keep in the house, since I don't move as fast as I used to and it takes much longer to accomplish a task!! This will be the first year with hoyas in the greenhouse and I'm hoping they will survive.
    GG, I love your polls and learn so much from them with all the answers.
    Beverly

• postpunkgirl
    12 years ago

I love it when people correct grammatical errors... It makes me feel better about doing the same, HA!

This will be the first year that I have tropicals to overwinter... It DOES seem rather daunting to find a good place for them with enough light, heat, etc. Especially since I have so many new house plants... and ZERO room! But at least here in Texas the winter comes slowly... and I just have to watch the news for 40 below nights, which are usually limited to less than 3 months a year. Although, we DID get 12 inches of record breaking snow last year! AND temps in the single digits. NOT COOL for a heat loving TX girl! ;)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Fortunately living in central Florida, the only thing I have to worry about, is when the temperature gets down below 40 degrees. Then it's time to bring out the blankets and quilted mattress covers. That is, if I'm not up North traveling, like the last two winters. It was mild when we left, but turned deadly, freezing cold while we were away. No one home to cover my plants. I'm hoping I don't have to go traveling this winter. I need to be home to take care of my babies.
    ~Eileen in FL~

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally hear you on the subcalva. Last year I too had "every intention" of moving all of my temperate species to safe locations but I didn't move fast enough. I think it's because it is impossible for my body to perceive cold in the same way they do, so in my head it wasn't that bad and there were more pressing matters to attend to. Needless to say, I almost lost a couple that were strongly affected by drafts near the door. And the time and attention I spent nursing them back to health allowed a few other things to go haywire.

MY biggest piece of autumn Hoya advice, for those going through it w/Hoyas for the first time, is to cut back on watering immediately. Just start being a bit stingy when you go to water them and check on them more regularly for the first month, to see how the pace has changed. A little concentration now makes for a lot fewer problems over the next couple months.

What always happens to me is this:

1. The weather shifts and I am preoccupied with moving plants indoors. I keep doing everything else the same because I vaguely believe summer is going to reassert itself.

2. The plants don't dry out from that last ordinary watering for like... 2 months. (Okay maybe not that long but it seems like forever.)

3. Since the apartment is so much colder and they have stayed sodden for a month a number of them get pissy and if there is any other problem it is hugely magnified. Chances are one will have its roots compromised, need to be rerooted, but I won't act until it's too late.

My only other piece of advice for right now is do NOT try to root a bunch of cuttings right now. It can be done, but what takes a week in spring takes the whole winter for them to be truly established.

Oh and isolate those plants you are bringing in from outside, obviously. They will definitely have spider mites on them. They always have spider mites on them. -_-

Oh and about your windows, Quinn, I totally believe it. My west facing balcony doors are toxic to my plants during spring and early summer but I have been using it as my prime rooting zone since midsummer passed and Hoyas LOVE it there. What used to burn now feels like a happy little once-a-day sauna to them, I guess.

I DO think that artificial lighting makes life easier in winter. I tried to get away without it last winter because Denise does and she's in the same city, but I think her grow space lets in a lot more light than even my generous nearly floor to ceiling apartment windows. I courted a lot of problems with the plants in the windows that I didn't have with the plants under lights. I wouldn't mind if they just didn't grow very much, but it's difficult that they are all just more vulnerable/delicate without strong light. If you only have a few plants, then I think it is fine, but with a big group of plants there are enough unhappy customers that it is too stressful/annoying.

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

I have two cuttings or rather broken runners off the nummularoides I bought last weekend in my plastic baggie with orchid moss. They were just barely hanging on so I thought I wouldn't lose anything if they don't root (just had to try). I will definitely "baby" them along, however, we still have at least 6 weeks more of moderate weather. Most years I am still running the air conditioning at Thanksgiving.

• sberg
    12 years ago

I got some advice a few years ago that really does help in transitioning plants from outdoors in, but you have to have Iron Will...which I don't...at least not most years...Anyhow, the advice is: move your plants inside BEFORE it gets noticeably chilly, before the days shorten excessively, and before you turn on the heat....for me, this usually means early September...then you set them up inside but leave doors and windows open, so temps and humidity stay much the same as outside. The theory is that by the time you have to seal the house up for the winter and turn the heat on full blast your plants have had several weeks to gradually adjust to indoor conditions...

Like I said, it does work...but between laziness and the desire to give my plants every last drop of natural sunlight they're legally entitled to, I do it maybe one year out of three...

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

This is my first year trying this idea so we'll see how it goes...

I am grouping my hoyas and other tropicals by temperature tolerance. Tonight is supposed to be in the 50's (we've been running warm at my house) so I brought in the trays containing everyone that is supposed to stay above 65 degrees. When the lows get into the upper 40's I'll be bringing just about all my tropicals inside. There are a few that can handle down to freezing but not many.

I've been keeping my plants on large trays (read: kitty litter pans and rabbit cage bottoms) so it is easier to move them in bulk. Also, I have a plant cart in Beta Testing stage that I use to roll them in and out. So far I know the cart needs a handle. Other accessories pending. Finally, I built a ramp for the front porch so I can roll my bunny trays full of plants down to the sidewalk on warm mornings. Even in winter we get warm days sometimes so I'm determined to be ready for them this year.

But now I'm worried about leaf drop... Hmmm...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG that is a very good point about paying close attention to watering habits as the seasons change. Hoyas that don't like to stay wet will be very upset with soggy cool temperatures. Also the big succulent leafed species will appreciate a dryer winter rest which can help simulate the natural dry season that they have evolved to endure in nature.
    I have a few Hoyas that were not even outside but that are showing the odd yellow leaf. Not a yellow leaf all spring or summer and now they choose to let me know that they are upset about something. The electric heat is now on albeit low but something has upset those most fussy Hoyas. Hoya deykeae that's you, you drama queen!

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

H. deykeae is one I have also noticed is sensitive to overwatering when in the house for winter. I put it in a very quick draining mix & only water when dry now. It is much happier this year. It also likes high light, but not direct sun here.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions