Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

Hoya carnosa Rubra

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

This is the patent assigned o Cobia on this plant. The name Krimson Pribncess came about it as another ploy to sell the same exact hoya under a different name. Legally this plant is Hoya carnosa Rubra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobia Patent H. c. Rubra

Comments (17)

• Ament
    12 years ago

Och, wish they would put those images in color instead of as a 'drawing' LoL It would make it easier for those of us like Eileen and I. Who have absolutely not much skill in understanding these. :)

So, does this mean no more calling it Hoya "Krimson Princess" RainforestGuy?

~Tina

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Tina... thanks for including me in this conversation; you're right about those pictures!

RFG.. I just checked the link to the Cobia patent!.. intense for those of us who are new to the subject of hoya!... Thanks for giving us that opportunity. I guess that means I have a Rubra and a Tricolor!. So.. a rose by any other name....? Eileen

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an article I wrote many moons ago for the local newspaper. The images show the color Hoya carnosa Rubra. It also shows the Hoya carnosa Compacta Regalis next to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya carnosa Rubra and Compacta Regalis

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks RainforestGuy,
    for the article and pictures with it. My plant is the one on the right, so that would be Hoya carnosa Rubra. :) Appreciate knowing a bit more about them each time I come to this forum!

~Tina

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Thanks for the article, RFG. I have a carnosa like the one pictured on the upper right. It came labeled as H. carnosa 'Marlea'. I love the variegated leaves on this one the most. The leaves have quite a bit of ivory in them. I don't care if this one flowers or not. The leaves are pretty enough.
    I love reading your posts and I'm learning quite a bit.
    Keep the information coming.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Ditto! RFG.. The more I hear the correct name that refers to one of my hoyas, it just makes it easier... and the Rubra on the right... same for me. I love it.. Since I've only had one single "blossom" on my carnosa last month, and might not have any more for awhile.. I must say that as I look at different web sites and even here on the forum... I find I'm attracted to the leaves... love the variegated and purple I saw in a another thread of Josh's... the blooms... when they come.. icing on the cake!.. Thanks for your contributions.. Eileen

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The carnosa Rubra has sports of this but haven't seen them anywhere yet. There is a form with centrally variegated cream-yellow leaves (new growth pink-burgundy) and edges of leaves also have a thin white border. They haven't formally gave this on a name, but they do pop up periodically.

One must understand that the Hoya carnosa group is very similar to the Sansevieria trifasciata v. laurentii /v. hahnii complex with its many varied and sporting variations.

There will be numerous sports that develop through the growing history for these plants. They can be cut and made a permanent form or "cultivar" if monitored and observed carefully.

There is also a white flowered carnosa sport from the Dappled Gray group that will have speckled leaves with a slight variegation on the edges. This is a pretty form.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Hi Michael. It's good to have you here. Your Hoya Page was one of the first I bookmarked when I went online several years ago. I went ga-ga over that albomarginata photo. Do you have a site with more... well, just MORE? The Hoya Page just leaves me wanting MORE.

It was a 'Krimson Queen' that got me hooked on Hoyas back in 1976. I still affectionately call it that, although I know it was a trade name. I like it a LOT better than 'KP' because it doesn't revert back to all green like 'KP' does. But I do have a question for you...

Several years ago, Bob Smoley sent me (as a bonus plant, for an extended wait for plants) one he labeled Hoya carnosa rubra, a beautiful all-geen plant, very succulent. A couple years ago, I sent a photo to our Hawaiian friend, Carol, asking her opinion about the ID because I'd been reading the 'KP' was now being called carnosa rubra. From the photo, she thought it looked more like a form of fungii, but I also grow fungii, and mine differs substantially from the rubra I got from Bob. So I sent her a piece of it. Coincidentally, she was preparing to go see David Liddle and took it with her and David told her that Bob's ID was correct. I never really asked, but I guess that made me assume that the rubra designation given to 'KP' was surely incorrect. So now here I am, once again, curious about this. Here's a couple photos of my carnosa rubra...
    {{gwi:924920}}
    {{gwi:961521}}
    {{gwi:980363}}

Your opinion?

Denise in Omaha

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

How does your plant compare to H. motoskei, Denise? It looks quite similar by the pictures. Does it have fuzzy backs of the leaves like some carnosas?
    This is very interesting, especially that DL confirmed the rubra ID.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plant pictured is a variety of carnosa and is not even a sport of the Rubra clone. There used to be a place called Rainbow Gardens once upon a time and they listed this (I forgot what it was called). I got this confused with Dappled Gray until another plant took up the name of it. But in their old catalog (if anyone has kept them) is the name they were selling it as. They sold all the forms of carnosa. The only other person who would have it listed is Loyce Andrews.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Could it be H. carnosa 'Superba'? I have a plant by that name that I got from a place that used to buy from Rainbow Gardens.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Well, whatever it is, I like it. :)

~Tina

• Denise
    12 years ago

MD - I also have motoskei and the largest leaves on the motoskei might be as big as the smallest leaves on the rubra. In other words, the average size leaf on rubra is considerably bigger than the average size leaf on motoskei. Young leaves on the rubra tend to have a bit of fuzz on the tops, but they seem to lose that as they age. When grown in more light, the leaves tend to incurve. I grow mine where it can climb one direction into some intense sun, and in the other direction it's in full shade. I much prefer the parts that grow in full shade - the last single leaf photo is one from full shade.

Do you have a photo of your 'Superba'? That's one I haven't heard of.

It would be nice to see one of RG's old catalogs. I was wise enough to save some catalogs from the late 90's, early 2000's before everyone stopped printing them and I really enjoy perusing them even now. I know you can find it all on the internet, but it's not the same as holding a hard copy in your hands and flipping the pages!

Denise in Omaha

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Denise, I have a carnosa that was identified as fungii by Carol a few years back. It is definitely not fungii. I just label it as H. carnosa (large leaf). It is similar to motoskei. They may both be the same. I haven't seen peduncles on motoskei yet.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That name "Superba" does ring a bell. There were a lot of names back in the day. Gray Ghost, Silver Pink (not the pubicalyx clone), Silver Scratches, Frostie, Krinke eight, Krinkle curl, etc.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I also have the very lovely carnosa 'Gray Ghost'. It is a rampant grower when once established, but it is very pretty and soft to the touch. It looks like a whitewashed leaf. I believe the correct name for it is H. carnosa �Argentea-Picta� (Trademark name, �Silver Princess�)I have the other "frosted" looking one like 'Gray Ghost' that is variegated. I believe the name for that variety is H. carnosa 'Verna Jeannette'
    I just MUST get busy and learn to upload some pictues into a website so I can link them here. Will work on that tomorrow. Then I can show these various carnosa plants I have.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Verna Jeanette is a very unstable clone and the prettiest in my opinion! Not sure if your has the flecks in the leaves as well as the tricolor variegation. But this plant must be carefully watched and prune out any undesirable reversions.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH
More Discussions