Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurorawa

More on the way!

aurorawa
9 years ago

Decided to order a "few" more hoyas!
h. dasyantha IML 1658 (arrived on Fri! Love the leaves!)
h. valmayoriana IML 0831
h. cv. 'Iris Marie'
h. polystachya IML 1410
h. sp. EPC 233 RB5
h. pottsii IML 0353

OT, but related to hoyas; decided to change my potting mix after seeing greentoe's awesome potting media. I was experimenting and can say without a doubt that I DESPISE turface. I have very sensitive skin (eczema) and it dried out my skin SO much when I was sifting and rinsing! I will not be using that! Instead, I have opted for 1/4 inch orchid bark, 1/4 inch decomp. granite, and 1/4 inch perlite. I use cuttlefish bone shavings for calcium source (I have tortoises, so we always have cuttlefish bones), since my fert. doesn't contain calcium. I no longer use potting soil at all. I use a "chunkier" mix so that I can keep my hoya watering schedule the same as my other houseplants, which is every few days to a week, depending on species. So far, my new mix is so much prettier and NO MORE fungus gnats flying around! The old mix was fine, as far as drainage went, but it was messy and attracted fungus gnats.
I am still unsure of what benefits turface has on plants, or if it is just a filler for a 1:1:1 ratio mix.

Comment (1)