Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

cutting bundle sale @ SRQ hoyas

greentoe357
10 years ago

I just stumbled upon this: http://srqhoyas.com/CUTTINGS/BUNDLES. Is this September special for real or are these pretty much Joni's normal prices?

In any case, inspired by one of my hoyas shooting out a peduncle with buds for the first time in the history of the universe, I went out on a shopping spree and bought a 12-pack for $41 including shipping.

IT'S NOT AN ADDICTION, OK!? I CAN QUIT ANY TIME!

Comments (15)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Greentoe,

I think that is great! I went this summer to SRQ Hoyas! She has beautiful plants. I was very happy with what I got. Everything is growing and doing really good. And to answer your question about the price- that is a pretty big discount from what the price is usually. She offers some type of discount almost every month. But I've not seen the bundles discounted :).

You will have to post pictures when they arrive!

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Haha. You CAN stop anytime. Anytime after you run out of room...

;)

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>> You will have to post pictures when they arrive!

Here they are: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg100027501688.html.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hello everybody -- I'm back. Thx to those who've been asking for me, happy to say I'm well.

Should you wish to say hi privately, pls. send me an EM thru the GW facility, I'd welcome it.

Am delighted to say I just placed my first order w/Joni, since I saw mention here of the Cuttings sale. Got a bundle of six & they came w/ one in bloom & 2 w/ a peduncle each. In pristine condition, looked like they'd just been cut, just 1 cracked stem in the bunch (which sadly, I broke off before noting it was a bare vine w/ a peduncle (sigh)).

Will be potting them up this weekend, thanks for the info. on the Cuttings Sale. I'm stoked! Will post pix when I can; kinda missed you all ;>), glad to be back.

(PG) Karen

• teisa
    10 years ago

It is so Good to have you back Pirate Girl! I hope all is well. Please post some pics of your new cuttings!!

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to have you back, pirate girl!

> Got a bundle of six & they came w/ one in bloom & 2 w/ a peduncle each.

In my 12 bundle, 4 cuttings have peduncles on them, but no blooms! One of the peduncles has buds on it, but they are tiny and look dry and I'll be surprised if they opened or even grew - in fact I'd rather not, so the cutting spends its energy on root production instead.

> thanks for the info. on the Cuttings Sale.

I am thrilled it enabl... khm helped somebody! :-)

So, we now have sister plants in the same city! Exciting!

Do post pics of your cuttings - mine are in the thread I referenced above. I wonder how many different kinds you'll have compared to mine. I bet a lot - Joni has a lot of plants to choose from.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to report that at least 4 out of my 12 cuttings have rooted by the end of the second week. By the end of the third (today), 11 of the 12 have rooted. All of the cuttings are doing well, with no leaf loss whatsoever and with aerial roots all over the place in my rubbermaid greenhouse. A tip or two have rotted or dried up and one peduncle fell off, but that is it.

Pirate Girl, how are yours doing?

For those who want cuttings but missed the September sale, there is the October sale. :-) I see prices are the same.

I also got several cuttings from Denise (in Omaha) - can't wait for those to arrive.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi GT,

Well good to hear yours & well & great to hear you've gotten some cuttings from Denise.

Mine are settling in (6 cuttings), I tend to water root mine & then plant into mix.

I've got 3 sets potted, 2 sets still in the water rooting & I lost one cutting. That one I lost was quite variegated & just didn't look like a strong cutting (leaf/stem connections seemed shaky), the rest seem fine.

The diptera came in bloom, that was great! Then it started another peduncle but blasted, so I took a cutting just above it & we'll see.

Pix hopefully, when I get a chance.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry you lost a cutting. One of mine had leaves that appeared a bit wilty when they came in the mail. It's a thin-leaved variety, so I guess they easily lose moisture. It's doing ok though, has re-hydrated nicely.

> The diptera came in bloom, that was great!

Is this one of your existing plants, or you are saying a cutting came into bloom? Congrats in either case!

> Pix hopefully, when I get a chance.

Yes please!

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sigh. I need help. I am talking with Joni about another bundle order, 12 cuttings or maybe even more. :-/

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

How did you root yours greentoe?

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny you should ask, as I was just looking at hydroton and how some people are getting incredible results, both rooting and growing, with it or similar media like growstones. See this for example: http://vermonthoyascom.fatcow.com/learning-how-productions/hoya-praetorii-cutting-experiment/. Blows my mind.

But that is not what I did. :-) (Saw this after planting the cuttings and have reservations about frequent watering that semi-hydro method requires.)

I like the idea of rooting right into the medium the plant will live in, in order to minimize root disturbances and repotting adjustments. I use a mix of pine bark fines, granite grit and calcined DE ("gritty mix" from the container gardening forum), so that is what they are growing into right now. The mix is so chunky it's actually pretty close to semihydro method anyway.

In other news, I am getting 18(!) more cuttings from Joni and 4 more from Denise. Hi everybody, my name is GreenToe and I am a hoyaholic.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Greentoe,

You made me chuckle with your post. I got 10 hoya cuttings from Joni due to your prompting and continuous prodding regarding the sale. I would love to get more, but since I live in a colder zone, I would have to bring them in the house and hubby would NOT be happy with me if I did that. I will grow on these ten and experiment with just exactly how cold they can get without damage. I have about 5 different varieties in my greenhouse that get's 40 to 45 deg in the winter. My carnosa has been in there for years and thriving, my Krimson Princess has been in there and doing well too. This year I added a wayetii and a lacunosa 'Royal Flush'. I hope they do as well as carnosa does.

Here are my cuttings tucked away in my tote.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

From my order from Joni of 6 cuttings bundle, this is H. diptera, was in bloom when it arrived.

It's been trying to re-start the same peduncle ever since, on its 2nd attempt now.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to make you chuckle and nice looking cuttings there, ladylotus!

Very cool flowers, PG! I also got Hoya diptera from Joni, but am not as lucky as you are to have the flowers.

While the cutting has none or barely any roots, how can it possibly bloom successfully? I saw Doug of Vermont Hoyas cut off the blooms (not the peduncle, just the blooms) on one of his videos when he was restarting a plant because he knew it wouldn't succeed. I am very interested in what happens here. Are you actually trying to get it to bloom with very limited and very new root system? Keep us posted, please, and good luck. It'd be very cool if you could do that.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus
More Discussions