Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New finlaysonii leaf

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 3:02

This one is particularly attractive. It looks a lot like some form of jasper, to me:

Without flash:

Hoya finlaysonii

With flash:

Hoya finlaysonii

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New finlaysonii leaf

Will the white fade over time?

lisa

o

Nice, Quinn! And yes, Lisa, unfortunately the white does fade. My first leaf on my fin was gorgeous, too, but it looks like the others now. It's a S-L-O-W grower for me.

Denise in Omaha

o

Quinn that is just gorgeous, looks just like some moss agate earrings I have.

Mike

o

Moss agate works too : )

Now, for all you finlaysonii growers, do you tend to grow it on the moist side, or on the dry side? I would have guessed letting it dry out before watering was the way to go, but mine sulks if I don't water it at least every other day. I am growing it in coco husk chips. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or if it is perhaps because it was growing in a nursery and watered frequently. This is one from Asiatica, grown in a net pot in a very chunky mix that looks like it needed to be watered somewhat like a mounted orchid. I've repotted it to a similar but more forgiving mix in a more solid orchid pot.

It is now steadily putting out leaves one by one, and started a vine recently. Before I watered it so often, though, it would get limp leaves, and started dropping leaves here and there. Disappointingly, I lost one of the best looking leaves it came with. But the new leaves are definitely making up for that, and may even look better than that one.

o

Hi Quinn, I've been growing my regular finlaysonii for almost 2 years now, but I've never had a beautiful leaf like yours. Mine has never flowered either but I'm thinking its not getting enough light (I have it in a corner on my bath tub) slightly dark. I really need to find another place for it. Its in a 6" clay pot in my soiless mix and I water it once a week, it doesn't seem to sulk like yours...as a matter of fact this is one that's hard for me to gauge when it needs water since the leaves looks the same the day I water it as it does six or seven days later. No sign like drooping leaves or anything. Its funny how different growing medium and climate makes a difference on how our plants respond. I have other plants in the same exact potting mix that I have to water every 3 to 4 days...Go figure! A friend gave me a plant from Asiatica and I had to change the potting mix also...I just don't like that very loose mix they use its hard to tell when I have to water and looks like it needs water daily. I'm much more in control when I use my mix that I'm familiar with.

Congrats on your beautiful leaves!

o

I grow some orchids in straight coconut husk chips and they need water twice a week vs my other plants that get water about once a week. I like to mix perlite or sponge rock and potting soil/soiless mix in with the CHC for my Hoyas because it holds more moisture. The CHC lasts a long time and is one of my favorite components to use in potting mixes. I use this mix in plastic pots and I think it would dry out too fast for my taste in either clay or slotted orchid pots.

Mike

o

I water pretty frequently with coco husk chips but it seems to be working quite well for my hoyas. I use it straight for some hoyas, mix in coarse coco fiber for others, and toss it with African violet mix with yet others. There isn't a specific reason, just what feels right at the time and what I have on hand. It's also nice to have a brick or two of the stuff if you don't have a lot of spare space; it's easier to store than a big bag of potting mix.

Pug, my fin is growing fairly close to a 23 W CFL, and is also sitting near a south window, so I think it may like a fair amount of light. Mine doesn't actually get droopy leaves, but when I go to feel them, they don't feel rigid. Then it starts jettisoning leaves. Slowly, so you have time to catch it, but it is still alarming. It hasn't done so once I started keeping it fairly moist. I forgot a day and it dropped a baby leaf. So yeah, mine is definitely a bit demanding compared to a lot of my other hoyas, including ones that say they should never be allowed to dry out. It's just funny to me, because it looks like a tough indestructible hoya, and I never would've guessed that it would be fussier than my much more delicate looking buotii or Tanna Island.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here