Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squidy_gw

Three new hoyas!! (pics)

squidy
12 years ago

I just got 3 new hoyas from dieg01991. They are DS-70, callistophylla and tsangii. Actually the label says "tansangii" but I think it's miswritten because Google can't find that. They all have roots.

I just wanted to show them off, and ask if anyone has any advice for how to care for these 3. :) So far my other 3 hoyas are all some type of carnosa, so to me these are very exotic.

PS Does that one leaf on the callistophylla look OK?

Comments (12)

• lalla62
    12 years ago

congratulations for your news...

hoya callistophylla is fantastic, very beautiful leaf...

hoya tsangii and ds70 are easy groover, they are adapted in my hoyse rapidly.

o.t.sorry for my english, i am italian.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

You will be very pleased with Hoya DS-70 because it is such a good grower and bloomer once it settles in. Your two plants named Hoya DS-70 and tsangii are the same thing and they are easily confused because this naming mistake has been around for quite a while. If you look in Pug's recent post you can see the little yellow flowers of Hoya tsangii, it's narrow lance shaped leaves are very different from DS-70's. You could pot the DS-70 and the one that came as tsangii together if you want. The leaves will look more alike once they are both grown in the same light, bright light gives them that beautiful reddish colour.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

HI,

Nice looking plants, but I would remove the damaged left hand leaf from the Hoya in the 2nd pic. Don't know what that brown is on the leaf, but sorry it won't improve, so I'd remove it altogether (IMO).

Otherwise they're lookin' good, enjoy.

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would, but that would leave it with only one leaf and that makes me nervous. D:

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It looks like sun damage or something like that. I agree with you, squidy. Just leave it on there. When, at a later point, your plant is bigger, you can prune it then! I think callistophylla grows fairly quick so you won't have to wait long. ^_^

I'm not going to go on the record as saying I know the best way to care for these plants, but I care for mine roughly the same as my carnosas and they haven't complained yet.

• Denise
    12 years ago

I agree with Mike - the tsangii and DS-70 are the same, so I would pot them together for a fuller affect. I think I would also send a note to the dealer and tell them they're the same so he/she doesn't mislead anyone else.

I know the feeling about removing the damaged leaf when it's only one of two. But the advantage of removing it is that the plant will see it as a pruning and it will encourage new growth. You're going to love it as it grows!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would not remove that blemished leaf because it is has the larger surface area of the two and still contributes to photosynthesis. I just feel that one little leaf could end up stalling the cutting.
    If it were my cutting I would remove more of the bare stem so that the leaves were right at soil level, this way you will often get new growth quickly from the node where the surviving leaves are.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

HI,

Nice looking plants, but I would remove the damaged left hand leaf from the Hoya in the 2nd pic. Don't know what that brown is on the leaf, but sorry it won't improve, so I'd remove it altogether (IMO).

Otherwise they're lookin' good, enjoy.

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to just wait and see, but now the leaf is looking worse. D: It's almost yellow, while the other is quite a vibrant green, although the contrast isn't as clear in the photo as IRL. It's probably just sucking energy at this point.
    Can I just snip it off with scissors? I don't want to exert any force on the other leaf.

PS Thanks for the tip Mike but this one isn't a cutting, it's a rooted plant.

PSS I won them in a drawing, I don't think the "dealer" sells her plants, but I'll tell her about the tsangii/DS-70 thing.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I WOULDNT HAVE cut it off either... BUT... Now the leaf looks like it is going to die... so I would say it is going to fall off anyways.... so I dont think cutting it off would matter at this point....

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh.. yeah, lol, the leaf fell off last night on its own. I kind of forgot about that option.. let the plant make the decision.
    Oh well. I hope it does okay with just the one leaf.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

IMO - Leaves or plant parts that still have green on them should be left on the plant. I feel there is still energy to be distributed from that leaf. For example, I grow several aroids that I dig up annually... When I cut the dying growth the tuber is typically smaller than when I let the plant die back naturally. In that scenario you are essentially cutting off the plants food source. In the case of a diseased or infected leaf I would recommend cutting it to prevent spread.

-David

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus