Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Asiatica order update

quinnfyre
13 years ago

Now, this isn't a review, since we all know they closed and we can't order from them anymore. I just thought I'd post an update as to how the hoyas I got from them are doing.

Hands down, the one that is doing best is my pink-flowered version of finlaysonii. As I said in my other post about it, it is a little fussy, but it does reward me for the trouble.

The one that is doing the worst is parviflora. I see a glimmer of hope, but I really thought it was a goner. It started dropping leaves en masse, and when I put it in a baggie for humidity, it started molding. So I had to decide, leave it out and risk losing it, or leave it in and risk it molding to death. I left it in, set it near some lights, and let it be. I did apply some Physan to it to see if it would help with the mold. Well, it still has some leaves left, it still has mold, but it does also have a nubbin of new growth peeping up from the medium. So we'll see.

Erythrostemma 'Cotton Candy' finally settled in and has grown a few new leaves. It kept dropping leaves on me also, and then did nothing, but doing nothing was preferable to losing leaves.

Patella started putting out some new growth, but it started molding in spots so I took it out of the baggie, and hit it with some Physan, but I think the change in humidity made it give up on the new growth. I've decided to place it in my terrarium for now, in the hopes that the extra humidity plus air circulation will encourage it to put out new growth again, minus the mold.

So, nice plants, and in the end I think they'll do well (except maybe that parviflora) but it's been a rocky road so far.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

I hope your plants recover and grow well for you.
    Jan

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Quinn was it parvifolia, the fuzzy leafed species or parviflora that gave you trouble? Hoya parviflora is pretty much indestructible but parvifolia is a tough on to root because it seems to hate too much moisture or humidity.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Quinn! I'm so glad they're doing well. I still have one leaf and and inch of stem left of the parviflora . . . it's in the chamber, so I'll let you know if it starts growing. ;) "Cotton Candy", I'm sorry to say, didn't make it. :( Maybe next time!

Happy to hear things are looking up.

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan: Thanks for the good wishes!

Mike, it is parviflora, the non fuzzy leaved one. It looked great when it got here, but then it started looking a little iffy. Then it went downhill quickly. Not really sure what happened. I'm hoping that little nubbin of new growth decides to go for it, because the rest of it really looks awful. Glad to hear it is tough because it needs all the help it can get.

Carolyn, I'm glad you have some parviflora left. You may actually have more left than I do : ( 'Cotton Candy' is just starting to come around for me, so maybe by the time it is big enough to spare a cutting, your parviflora will be also (if mine doesn't make it). The linearis cuttings did not make it, for whatever reason, but I still have my original, which is oddly doing even better now that the newer cuttings didn't take. Weird. Obscura is looking a little iffy though. Well, we'll see how it goes.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm . . . linearis is the bane of my existence. hahaha But I'm glad your plant got jealous and killed the other cuttings, if it made it stronger! ;)

No, really. If you want more linearis, let me know. And I should be able to take a cutting of my main obscura plant in the spring.

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seriously. I think my linearis did do something to the cuttings. It's like it sensed an invader, and zapped the life out of it, and took the energy for itself. I mean, yes, it could be the cooler weather that is making it happier, but I remember that I didn't do anything special last time, I just stuck the cuttings in Hydroton and kept the water level at about an inch or so. My linearis rooted pretty easily. The new cuttings just never seemed to have a chance. And all the while, my linearis started perking up and putting out lots of new growth.

Is it telling me that I need to sacrifice something to it regularly so that it keeps on going strong?

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lolool I laughed so much at that theory... I think we're turning a dangerous corner here. ^_~

I could see installing a tiny sacrificial alter overlooking the lagoon in Mike's Nothobranchius guntheri tank, but where will I put mine? Do Hoyas only accept sacrifices of similar kind or would they accept a miniature violet, because if so, they should be thriving because high priest Catticus Zeno sacrifices one of those almost weekly.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I can almost hear the drums now. LOL

I read an old account of a fruit tree growing in the center of a village where the native villagers surrounded the tree and chanted to the tree and played drums each day. The tree was said to bare fruit all year long and it apparently was quite a bit larger than most others of it's species. This may have been from The Secret Life of Plants but who know, my brain feels like a jumble of information at times. LOL

Mike

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert
More Discussions