Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

hoya pachyclada

lalla62
12 years ago

please give me some advice on how to treat my hoya pachyclada bought 10 days ago from thailand.

it is a beautiful plant but has light green leaves and little hard boiled.

i know it grows drysh and it is near a brightly lit whindow.

what else can i do??

grazie a tutti.

ot: sorry for english.

Comments (23)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Lalla,

At this forum we have very good experts in hoya's growing, they will guide you. I'm not an expert, just a collector.

"Tutto buona gente"

Mitzi from Brazil

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you mitzicos,but if you are a collector you must be an expert!!!

i whait....info...
    grazie a tutti!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

You will want to grow this one in a sunny spot. I grow my plant outside on an unshaded South facing balcony where it gets close to full sun for half the day. As long as you can slowly increase the sun so that the plant does not burn it will appreciate the high light. If growing indoors it needs to be as close to the window as possible.
    Watering in the summer is not hard but a slight drying is still recommended. During the winter grow much dryer as having this plant sit in moist conditions for too long will cause problems. This is a good example of a Hoya that has developed succulence to survive a long dry season.

Mike

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie mike,it is that i do.

i hope that in time situation will improve!!!

• teisa
    12 years ago

I grow pachyclada in a pot setting down in a ceramic pot. I noticed water collected in bottom pot and it's grown long roots that hang down. Is this a good way to grow this variety since it's known for liking dryness?
    I hope I have explained it where you can visualize. I think Mike showed one variety growing like this once but I don't remember the variety.

Thanks,!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I think that would work as long as the plant is not sitting in a wet potting mix. I used this method with my Hoya lambii but it likes it moist so not sure how this will work with Hoya pachyclada. I would keep an eye on it but if it is doing well then just keep doing what you have been.
    One thing I have learned over the years is "if it isn't broken don't fix it" and this can't be stressed enough with plants.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

If you received a decent cutting length, cut it down to single pair of nodes on a stem. Allow them to dry/cure before rooting as a freshly cut stem end may end up rotting if not properly cured.
    I like to root this in a loose mix of perlite and vermiculite as these do not hold too much moisture and are completely non-organic. Use a rooting powder on the cutting all along the stem and dust off any excess.

Provide adequate lighting so these can grow into their natural conditions. New growth will already be adjusted to the new light (older leaves may burn or yellow-brown) this is normal.

When new growth appears, get ready to pinch after the first set of leaves emerge. This will keep the plant compact and bushy. Do not allow to get lanky unless your goal is to make a lot of future cuttings.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this is my pachyclada.....

and his leaf, please tell me....

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

My first instinct would be to cut it back to two main stem directions and give this bright sunlight. The older leaves may burn or dry a bit, but the new growth will be adapted to the bright light and emerge compact and succulent, tight as a cabbage. It needs some variegated violet food and it will bounce back to life (and flowers).

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry, but what do you mean as " variegated violet food"??

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Peter's variegated Violet Special 5-50-17 for better growth and more flwoers in between nodes.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Unfortunately we don't have this in Brazil, the most comum is 4-14-8..... Never saw a formulation with 5-50-17, but probably I didn't pay attention to this formulation on the nursery houses!

Mitzi

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I ordered it online from a link here in another thread that I can't seem to find now.
    Does anyone have that link to the fertilizer place?
    I have been using it on the ones I am bringing in for the winter. However, I am going to skip the ones outside until later toward springtime as I think they pretty much go dorment in the wintertime. You must alternate it with the seaweed or other fertilizer & then just flush the plant with plain water about every 3rd or 4th time.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

mairzy dotes The link to Jacks

Here is a link that might be useful: jacks fertilizer

• teisa
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike for your reply to my help question. I should have started a new thread. I couldn't remember which one but yes lambii was it. My roots on pachyclada are growing like that!! And it looks really good with a lot of growth just taking off. Ill take your advice and keep it growing like this. Thank you!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RFG,thank you for yours advices.

i have not had the courage to cut a lot in my pachyclada.

i just cut brunch without lives,and i have fertilized with my ONE, a fertilizer 5-5,5-7,5.

hoya is already more green,i am also getting it to the sun.

is it ok??
    thank you.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Remember to move to higher light slowly or there can be issues with over exposure. I move my plant from a very sunny South window where it is right by the glass to outside (summer) in near full sun and there is occasionally some sun damage. The plant will appreciate the higher light if you do it slowly.

Mike

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks mike...
    now is in a sunny veranda,windows are matt,in winter will be at home.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Lalla,

You may not want to cut the bare vines (the ones w/ no leaves). They will produce leaves after a time & I BELIEVE this is also where blooms come from (new growth). If I'm mistaken about this, someone pls. DO correct me.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate, i have cut a vine that was drying....

• PattysPrettyPlants
    12 years ago

Hi, I got a rooted one from George at Forest Treasures he told me to keep it in a cool shadded place for a month so that is what I'm doing right now nothing going on with it but it still looks the same. I think I will keep it in a North window for now that is shaded with a tree outside and see what happenes this year.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

patty,but this is the opposite that i know....

in this foru all friends tell me warm and sunny!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Remember that George grows his plants outside in the Philippines so when he says cool and shady he means in Philippine terms. A North window is far too little light and I would highly recommend an East window at the least or a shaded South window until established and then full light in a South window for best growth. This is not a low light plant by any stretch of the imagination and it will grow spindly and weak in low light and may well never bloom.

When growing in tropical countries like Thailand and the Philippines it can be hard to fully understand just how little light areas of the Northern hemisphere get during the fall and winter. I grow my Hoya pachyclada inches from the glass of a large unshaded South window during the time it is not outside and I can tell it still wants more light during the winter. Also this is a species adapted to grow in a seasonally dry region so you must allow your plant to dry out between watering during the winter while still maintaining bright light. Too much water during cool and low light conditions will quickly rot the succulent leaves and can cause root rot as well.

What part of the country are you in? I noticed you have not filled out your climate zone or location info in your profile.

Mike

Sponsored