Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Identification

Posted by jeangenie Sydney (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 6:57

I bought this plant about 3 years ago with a Hoya tag on it. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Identification

Hi Jean,

This is not a Hoya - it was mislabeled. It appears to be one of the vining Gesneriads, relatives of the African Violet. It looks like an Aeschynanthus to me.

Like, this Aeschynanthus Fireworks or a similar cultivar?

o

Thank you. It does seem to have those characteristics. The leaves remind me very much of a Hoya and since it wasn't flowering at purchase I was fooled. I love the flowers though and would like to know how to propagate it. It won't take from the leaves like a Hoya.

Jean

o

Hi, jeangenie. That looks like an aeschynanthus to me also. If not aeschynanthus, then a columnea. You should be able to propagate it by taking cuttings and planting them in moist, airy soil. Aeschynanthus and columnea are gesneriads, and much of their culture is similar to African Violets. Good luck!

This post was edited by cldheath44 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 8:53

o

Yes, we often have new Hoya collectors bring in these vining Gesneriads for identification, so you're not alone! Some cultivars really do have a Hoya-ish look, especially the woodier ones with glossy leaves. But Hoyas always flower from a peduncle, so that's a dead giveaway once the plant is of blooming size.

Hoya blashernaezii peduncle and blooms

I really like Columnea, Aeschynanthus and Nematanthus, so I will always grow them, even though I've backed off other types of Gesneriads.

o

Needed help on the identification of the plant on the left (concealed pot). It was labelled as Hoya..

o

Can you take a close up picture...from here it looks like Hoya carnosa?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here