Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmybloomers

Calling experienced aff. scortechinii growers...

ohmybloomers
11 years ago

Greetings! I've gotten quite a few cuttings and rooted cuttings recently, and the aff. scortechinii is the only one that concerns me. It just doesn't seem to be thriving. It's in the same area with my happy hoyas, not over- or underwatered, no bugs, has had some VF-11, bright indirect light... but just seems kind of lackluster. It doesn't seem to be in any danger, but I wish it looked more robust. I got it from CB in GA two weeks ago, and the others I got from her are doing fine. I'm attaching the pic she posted - it still looks exactly the same.

Those of you who know this hoya, can you tell me if it's temperamental in any way - or is it just settling in and I should chill out and be patient?

Thank you as always for your awesome help. I feel very fortunate to have found this group!

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I find this Hoya to be a slow grower. My plant has grown very little in the two years that I have had it and it seems to be tempermental once it starts growing. The new leaves and vines seem to die back easily.
    This Hoya has a very matte finish to the leaves so if you were concerned about that it's normal.

Mike

• ohmybloomers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike - would you say that its leaves tend to look limp, without being limp for any bad reason? If so, I'll just give it the care it seems to need and just relax about it. It will do what it does!

• scsva
    11 years ago

I know nothing about this hoya but the plant looks good in this picture.

Susan

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

When the leaves are not fully mature they will be soft and flexible.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I got this plant in July and it doesn't seem too fussy so far... but I have a different aff. scortechinii that is surprisingly touchy, so now I'm paranoid about any plant with this name. Even though there doesn't seem to be much similarity between them lol.

When my scortechinii was listed, CB provided the following blurb, which I found very helpful and informative: It is a thin leafed plant. You may have read (as I have) that Hoya scortechinii leaf veins are red, making it a very interesting and colourful addition to any hoya collection. That is simply not true except for plants of this species that are just about ready to keel over and die. A healthy Hoya scortechinii has solid green leaves with veins that are only slightly visible. I do not advise this species for a novice grower as it is a bit finicky. Give is a high light spot out of the sun and keep the soil just damp to touch and you should have no trouble with it.

Thanks for the input Mike. I really don't want to lose either of these plants.

• ohmybloomers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heya GG! Yep, this newbie loves a challenge, so I've been acquiring all kinds of finicky species. The aff. scortechinii isn't my major concern any more. It's not what I would call thriving, but it's alive, its leaves have perked up, and it will grow when it grows.

I have so many different hoyas now in so many stages of maturity that I'm getting a feel for what I should really be concerned about: rot, fungus, mealies... :-O But I must be doing something right (especially listening to people on this forum), because I haven't lost a single one yet. I can even root difficult ones. Whoo hoo!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Glad to hear your plants are doing so well! I wish I could say I'd never lost a plant or cutting. :P

In my experience, when veterans call a Hoya "finicky" it's their nice way of saying it has declined or died when least expected. Not necessarily that it never flourished to begin with. That's why I'm keeping my eye on mine.

• ohmybloomers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! I'm new to this hoya sport, so I'll remember when I inevitably lose one that it's just "finicky", and not that it croaked, bit the dust, went to hoya heaven, or became life-impaired.

• RBurtchett
    11 years ago

Hi, If it is a finicky plant, or tough to grow. I make two as soon as possible. This has saved me more than once. I have a couple that you just don't get second chances with.

Good luck, Robert

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Great advice, Robert! I honestly think it's a good policy with any Hoya, to have a second start, even if it's just in the same pot.

• Jeremy Rayburn
    2 years ago

Thank you guys and gals for all the info. Mine grew its first little leaf and it was right up next to the cup lip and it must have laid on the cup when it was such a tender leaf. It’s leaf died. Now it’s still chilling.

Sponsored
More Discussions