Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntie_hammer

New

Auntie_hammer
12 years ago

Hi there, I'm new here. And propably away from all of you as I live in the UK. My name is Agnes and I'm collecting hoyas. My collection might be not extremly impressive as it comes down to maybe 50 species/cultivars but it is growing

My collection might be a bit different as I live far north so it's bloody cold around. Despite that I grow with succes hoyas bought in Thailand from various sellers (have few favourite ones).

As UK seem to be a Hoya desert I buy my plants in different part of Europe as well.

I think my biggest dream is to grow some from seeds but they're not easy to come by. And as I had to rebuild my collection after a winter catastrophy - had no flowers to pollinate as of yet 9apart from multiflora sofar)

cheers guys, hope to make some new hoya friends around here

Comments (65)

• Ament
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, totally sank my ship, all this information just blew me out of the water. I'll have to come back to this information another day, when my brain is more ready for it.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hello Agnes,
    I'm very new to Hoyas, just recently purchased four total. Can't tell if they are even tagged properly either. Rubra I'm finding out is not a proper tag name. Krimson Princess is the right name I guess, Chelsea I haven't found as the right name for the one I have. Hm, Stripes can't possibly be a proper hoya name but there again, crappy tag, so who knows where that will lead and hoya carnosa as the fourth. So that's as far as My hoya knowledge has gotten. :)

I was thrilled to find you are in the Highlands though, One day I hope to find myself there. You see, I'm from Clan Gunn. So it's a dream of mine to go to the highlands of Scotland for a trip to see where my family came from.

Cheers to you!

~Tina Marie

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, could you post a pic of your H. krochniana 'eskimo'? I'm just into comaring all of them. I red some more about H. krochniana 'diamont ice' - it's a new cultivar, came from thailand. The grower said it's not really stable yet. Or at least less stable than 'eskimo'
    Gosh I already like it here. Just saying hello and already having a decent conversation :)
    Tina Marie - you are very welcome to visit :)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Good morning all!... Tina Marie... I agree about "sinking my ship"... I will try reading it all again.. getting it... another story. Mike.. yes, your knowledge is incredible... and simply (LOL) stated!.. Agnes... a vigorous conversation with Mike!... I can only add at this moment (ugh.. have to go to work)... my H. lacunosa 'Sno Caps' does not have a heart shaped leaf.. matches the beautiful link you sent Mike.. perfectly.. my plant is still several very young cuttings taking hold .. but definitely not heart shaped... which btw... I have a few on my wish list that do have perfect heart shaped leaves... love them .. no matter what their name!... later, Eileen

• Ament
    12 years ago

Well, Not sure what this Hoya is that I have Exotic Angel tag on it says Hoya "Chelsea" Hoya carnosa. The leaves on it are a solid beautiful green, heart shaped. I have to charge up the battery on my camera or I would post a picture of it. I'll try my cell phone and see how that does. :)

~Tina

• Ament
    12 years ago

The leaves need washed, I haven't done that yet. But here is Chelsea. :)

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like a carnosa 'chelsea' to me :).
    Never expected I'd want another (8 so far) carnosa lol. But now I do

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I can tell you the names of those responsible for making these incorrect status, but I think you already know and have seen me say it a bunch of times. Some people just assigns any name in any way to plants without having knowledge in botany, less horticulture. Just assigning names for the sake of giving a plant a name is completely incomprehensible. This is why we have so much confusion and wrong names being propagated with the plants they sell.
    It makes it more confusing when the real plant comes around with the correct name we assigned to its imposter years earlier.

• sberg
    12 years ago

Yes but seriously, ARE you Chris Burton? I only ask because you seem to have a tremendous amount of knowledge and a similar way of expressing it...:-)

Shelleyl

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I have to say who cares who this person is I for one have been in joying the extra knowledge this person shares.You just have to take the important stuff and leave the rest>I do that with a lot of the posts here.

Cindy

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Yes but seriously, ARE you Chris Burton? I only ask because you seem to have a tremendous amount of knowledge and a similar way of expressing it...:-)

Shelleyl"

Who ist that question for?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

"I have to say who cares who this person is I for one have been in joying the extra knowledge this person shares.You just have to take the important stuff and leave the rest>I do that with a lot of the posts here.

Cindy"

I agree with Cindy. I find the information very helpful and interesting.
    Now my question for RFG is: If carnosa Chelsea is not the real name, what is it? I have one that was an EA plant purchased last year. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I love the leaves on it. It is similar to carnosa Krinkle 8.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks Agnes,
    Just annoying because when I do a google search, Not much information comes up for a Hoya "Chelsea". Maybe Exotic Angels will reply to an email I sent them. I went to their website and sent an email to them about this Hoya since it's one of theirs. I questioned them about further information regarding care of this particular Hoya. So hopefully I will be getting a reply back from them. :)

Cheers!
    ~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

These are all just Hoya carnosa and it does not matter what other name is attached because they are all the same species and require the same care. These are designer plants, dressed up a little for more widespread appeal.

Mike

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike!

I just want to be certain I take proper care of these lovelies. You know what I mean? :) I love the shape of the leaves on this "Chelsea". It's so pretty. And I don't want them to die on me. I have four I just bought. Stripes, Rubra, Chelsea and the plain old carnosa. LoL

I'm gathering from other posts that exotic angel uses crappy potting soil? The only other soil I have currently is miracle grow potting soil. So I'm guessing I'll have to purchase and mix up stuff for these. :D

~Tina

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Tina The one thing I do when I bring a EA hoya home is rip the bottom saucer off.If the plants are very wet I will wick a bit of water out of the plant by stuffing paper towel though the bottom of the pot and leave it over night.
    I do not chance the soil on any EA hoya since the only time I have killed one was trying to change the soil.

Cindy

• cpawl
    12 years ago

One more thing Tina Stripes is the name EA gave to curtisii.
    carnosa chelsea is a form of carnosa and can be treated the same.
    The word chance should say change in my above post.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Tina you should make a potting mix that is free draining but moisture retentive. The most common ingredients to use are medium sized bark or coconut husk chips, perlite, diatomite or something similar. The remainder of the potting mix can be potting soil.
    The Exotic Angle plants are in a mix that holds quite a bit of water but it's fine as long as you let the plants dry out a bit. Often times when you get these hanging baskets they contain many rooted cuttings but their root systems are still small in comparison to the volume of potting mix and soggy conditions can occur and rot the roots.
    Take the saucer off to let the pot drain when you water or at least tip the pot so that there is no water left in the saucer when you hang the pot back up. Let the top of the mix dry before you consider watering again.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

If I were Christine B, I would be shooting my tongue gun at you at top speed. But alas, Chris did have a good botany sense on her shoulders and while she didn't like the likes of Ted Green, she did have a good sense of trying to set order in this genus. You know, the kid in class that raises his hand to ask a stu[id question, we all make fun of because they are different, yet we alone don;t know the answer. This is who CB is all about. She asked questions and gave evidence in her research on what makes sense. She didn't have plant X or plant Y or plant Z in front of her to assign a name to. She just had the botanical prints and descriptions and to her amazing work, the actual pollinia photo taken of each species in a botanical press of the exact specimen as discovered and named and is fossilized in tact so that the pollinia can be compared to the actual plant to compare if it is the same or different. This is what she had. Ted just had the plant and said, hey this one looks like subcalva because it has glossy leaves and thus named an imposter subcalva! This is what the hoya name game is all about. It is the choosing off the top of one's head a name based on very few characteristics that really could have been pulled out of someone's butt for the correct name. I would estimate that 50% of all the hoya names as we know it is 100% incorrect. But many spexies are split up into new or old species when they should be varieties. The hoya densifolia, cuminginana group is a good example. It is vertually the exact same plant, the pollinia will prove it as will the pollinia prove that Hoya australis v. oramicola and v. australis, etc. are all one in the same species.
    Too much problems in names. I can't begin to say what's what any more.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Thank you RFG for your contribution to the topic of names!... I guess as a newbie, just knowing if one plant is a carnosa or other "type" and having a "second name", ie Krimson Princess, well, for me that's good enough b/c I do not understand all the botanical names/references etc.. I do read the postings here and try to "get it"... but if I only understand how to care for each of my currently small collection, and can successfully get them to bloom, I am one happy Hoya camper!... I appreciate others' knowledge, such as your own.. and enjoy reading it all here! (I hope this all made sense.. haven't had breakfast yet!) Thanks again to all experts on this and other forums I visit! Eileen

• sberg
    12 years ago

Don't want to create forum controversey or high jack a thread, but feel compelled to say: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"...If someone comes on a forum claiming various hoyas are mis-named, that 50% of all hoya names are 100% incorrect, and making ad hominum attacks on Ted Green et al, then "who they are" does matter--I would like to know the source of their information--are they a hotanist? Do they know Ted Green personally? How do they back up their claims? Simply stating something with great positivity doesn't make it true...I guess I'm just not as quick to accept "gurus" as some people...that's all...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thank you Cindy! I took the bottom off the one hanging hoya I have, for whatever reason. EA had "Chelsea" hanging but hacked off any of the trailers. I then stuffed a viva paper towel into each of the holes. So by tomorrow "Chelsea" should have her toes a bit drier. Whew! I'll send hubby a message to pick up stuff to add to the potting soil I currently have to fix the issue for the potting soil. (no vehicle or I'd do it without his help. lol)

As for EA I dislike their method of labeling, their customer service blows too. I've still not heard from them. Which figures. LoL Oh well! You folks have been especially informative. I truly appreciate that! :) I am like Eileen, as long as I know at least a name like H. "Chelsea" or which ever one it may be, that gives me a road to travel to find information on proper care. That makes it a little easier on me and more fun.

Thank you again everyone!

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Tina remember you need the full name to really be able to look up info. The full name of your plant is Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea'.
    I agree that with the EA plants just get a label and if it matches the plant in the pot or not does not seem to be a big concern. Either way if you fond any more we can help you figure out what you actually have.

Mike

• Ament
    12 years ago

Yeah, I was being lazy, this goofy keyboard on this laptop annoys me to death. As I type, the mouse is so sensitive it jumps all over. I had gotten frustrated and just shortened the name. My bad. LoL Sorry about that Mike. I normally try terribly hard not to shorten things. :D
    Now my goal is to properly care for these four hoya, bring them to bloom and maybe then acquire more. :P Might end up with more before any bloom, who knows. LoL

~Tina

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Shelly! "... I'm just not as quick to accept "gurus" as some people...". Not thinking at all that you may have meant ppl like me.. a new kid on the hoya block, I just want to say, I don't think of RFG as a guru!... nor anyone else... it's a wonderful collective of information for anyone who cares to hear it, save it, throw it away... but for sure... some ppl certainly know a heck of a lot more than I do.. I certainly am not passing any judgment on their knowledge or opinion. I am (currently) happy to be able to say that one of my plants is a Hoya carnosa.. and if there's more.. than great!... I'm truly grateful to have such a great and friendly place to learn what I can regarding my hobby!... and to add something of import (or not)to the forum!.. I have no idea who's right/wrong.. and that's ok ... not for me to say!... so not wanting to create any controversy... either; and if I misunderstood your message, I apologize... I'll end there!. I love the community here!. I hope someone understands my message! Eileen

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I don't follow anymore. Just wantred to say hello. There was a nice conversation about lacunosas and krochnianas. A one that helps establish what's goin on. I learned something from it and maybe someone else did to. I do like to know and I do like to learn. Especialy about my hobby(s)
    And all of a sudden I'm reading acusations and personal judgements. I'm not getting it and I'm not liking it

PS
    Tina I love yoyur 'chelsea'. ANd yes for me it does look exactly like H carnosa 'chelsea'

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks Agnes, I love it too! Can you believe that picture was taken with a little cell phone? :D and I'm just trying to steer clear of the rest. I am grateful for the knowledge shared since I am very new to it all.

Agnes, could you post a few pictures of your hoyas? I would love to see them. :) I truly need to take pictures of the other 3 I have, just for record keeping if for no other reason. It is always a good idea to do that I suppose. Maybe I should make that a project for this weekend. Scrub up all leaves then take the darlings out to the table on the deck and get a good picture of them.

~Tina

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

First of all, just because you are growing and selling hoyas doesn;t make one a "guru" it takes a lot more integrity and compassion for the plants than to just open up shop and begin to sell.
    TG has been naming plants and changing names for a million years now and thus follows all his mess that everyone (yourself) has to clean up and get to the truth of the matter.
    CB has done a lot in correctly naming or at least finding errors that TG and others have made. One cannot just name a hoya a name based on one characteristic. (i.e subcalva with shiny glossy leaves) this is ridiculous.) Yet he is able to do so and nobody challenges him except the few who really did the work and keyed the plant out and did not end up with the same name.
    This is why when you look up the species, you cannot make heads or tails of what it is and duplicate names appear and then it becomes more confusing when you see the exact same plant labeled tow different names in two sources. That's frustrating when you paid good $$$ for the same exact plant but labeled with different names.

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, I'm still strugling with posting pictures here. But I will sort it out soon I hope

• Ament
    12 years ago

Agnes,
    Here's a site that can help you a lot. photobucket.com or picasa.com there are others, but I cannot think of them right now. I use photobucket.

Go to whichever is your preference. You can do a search for a local one in your area if you prefer. Then upload them to your preferred site. Once uploaded, you can then hyperlink to those photos via the links on the images. Like on photobucket, the hyperlink appears to the left of the image. So if you hover your mouse over the image it pops up, then you can choose to either post the image directly into the post or down below via the optional link URL. :)

If you have further difficulties, feel free to send me an email, either via the forum or directly to CeltGunn1970@yahoo.com I will gladly help you as best I can.

~Tina

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I usually use imageshack. WOrks for other forums.
    Let's try. This is the newest leaf on my H. vitellinoides. About 9'' long

Ok I don't know. I'm using the forum code for the pic but it doesnt show. what am I doing wrong then? I'm giving you a direct link to the pic

Here is a link that might be useful: vitellinoides

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Click on the links to the right of your picture which say "Embed this image," and "Embed thumbnails of this image." At the bottom of each menu you'll see code labelled "HTML." Copy and paste that code into your post. The HTML code under "Embed this image" will display full size pics, while the HTML code under "Embed thumbnails of this image" will display smaller thumbnail pics that can be clicked on to view a full size pic. Since your pics are so large, I'd use the thumbnail option.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

{{gwi:981291}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope its OK I put your photo.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Agnes,
    Your link worked for me, beautiful that one is. I love the pattern of the leaf! :) Thank you for sharing it with us.

~Tina

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Don't you just love vitellinoides? It is so easy to grow and with a little effort, it rewards you with huge, beautiful leaves. I bought one last summer and the longest vine is about four feet and the biggest leaf is about 10 inches. Makes me feel like a seasoned pro. One of these days, I too, will figure out how to post photos. Kicking and screaming the whole way, I might add.

Lisa

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okie doke, trying anoter one. Totally in love with javanica flowers

{{gwi:981292}}
    And this is one of my hoya-windows. I know the pic desn't show much as made against the light. But it shows the idea :)
    {{gwi:981293}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

Agnes,
    I love the first image, the flowers are just beautiful! And your second one, that's wonderful, love how you've got them all in there nicely. :)

Lisa, I posted instructions on how do upload photos, you can do a search online for which ever photo hosting site suits and then proceed from there. :D Shoot me an email if you need help, I'll help if I can.

~Tina

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to even write what's on the window lol
    From left.
    H. Chouke - grown in a glass in cat litter as medium(the pink one made of burned clay)
    H. mindorensis 'superba' - on a chair. Didn't want to start growing for few months but now seems to be fine and producing new leaves
    H. vitellina - can't remember the numbers it has next to the name but this is the one flowering orange - have it from Sweden
    H. fungii- in the back with large trelis - the stem of one reaches 3/4 of the trelis already
    H. australis 'Lisa', H. australis margin variegated and H. nicolsoniae - those in 3 tiny pots
    H. finnlaysoni - nice clone, amazing leaf pattern
    H. obscura - the chair on the right

This is my H. Mathilde which I love to bits as my wee daughter's name's Mathilda
    {{gwi:981294}}

H. meredithii
    {{gwi:981295}}

And one of my favourites H. sp Gunung Gading
    {{gwi:981296}}

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Welcome Agnes,
    Yo'll certainly enjoy this hoya forum!You'll find a lot of good info on our hoya passion here. Welcome aboard!
    Alba in Hawthorne, Ca

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi and Welcome Auntie Hammer!

Nice to meet you and welcome aboard!

I once traded hoyas from a lady in London, her name was Hilary I think. H. Lacunosa Tove I got from her. Lovely plant. No hoya grower should be without a H. Lacunosa.

While I don't have the hoyas you own, they are very lovely. I have about 10 or more different hoyas. My favorite is my Krimson Queen, that I've had for over 13 years now. What is nice about hoyas, is they practically live forever.
    Again, welcome!

TammyPie

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Great collection of hoya, Auntie. I love the ones with the dark veins. I think they are from the 'finlaysonii complex' of hoya. Your little Matilda is adorable. I see you have it in hydroton. Do you have luck with them rooting in it? Do they root faster than in soil? I put my cuttings right into my potting mix, and so far they are doing well.
    Enjoy the forum. There's lots of beautiful pictures to add to your addiction. I see a picture and it's added to my 'want list'. My list is now three yards long. LOL
    ~Eileen~

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Agnes... Your hoya window is so charming... I love the set up... and your hoyas look very happy!.. Eileen (the one in Vermont)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

oh, I love that H. sp Gunung Gading. Looks like the finlaysonii family, huh? Were did you get that one?

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi and thanks all for kind words.
    Hoya sp Gunung Gading is also named sp borneo meredithii. I bought it in Sweden. It's actually becoming more and more avalible across Europe

As for the substrate. Some of tghem grow in original german seramis and some in.... non clumping cat litter (made of red clay). I find it great. No other way my cuttings root and grow faster. The substrate gives perfect moisture and air around the roots. Hoyas seem to love it. And so do I as it's less complicated than standard hydroponics system. You can have a hygrometer put in the pot but you don't have to as it changes colour when it dries. Seems to be just perfect

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Agnes... I wonder if there is any such kitty litter in the US.. ? I've only ever known the plain ordinary clay.. and then came along the clumping stuff...yuk.. and I now only use a pine pellet for my kitty. But that wouldn't work for Hoyas!... I'll have to check on line.. it certainly is attractive in your glass growing vessel.. (Curious ... how well does it work for kitty?).. Your plants are truly lovely. Thanks for sharing them.. Eileen

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Auntie Hammer,
    In your first pic, it shows what is wrongly called Hoya multiflora (correctly Centrostemma multiflora) flowers, not H. javanica.

One needs to redo the meredithii complex as they are very different from another. Firstly one needs to group all the similar floral types (regardless of color) then group them by pollinia structures and shape.
    Finlaysonii will be a common name found here.

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

can you use lime to pot plants in?

• Auntie_hammer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

javanica=multiflora

Eileen I wouldn't know if there is such litter in the US. As for working for a kitty - used it for my ferret. Works good but leaves the animal pink lol

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

As for kitty litter---Walmart sells Special Kitty Litter, 25 Lbs. that can be used. It's the one they sell for $3.00. It's made from fired clay. On another forum, I believe it's the Container forum, people have posted that they use it in a gritty mix for their plants. I was going to buy it but ended up with Espoma Soil Perfecta, which is like Turface. It was $15 for 27 lbs. I have rooted hoya cuttings in the Expoma and also hydroton. I prefer to just pot them up into the pots they will stay in, in my 1-1-1 potting mix. This way there is transition for them.
    ~Eileen in FL~

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Welcome, AH. I love your setup. Everything looks so serene bathed in that filtered light that it kind of makes me miss the days when I had plenty of room separating my plants, that I might maximally enjoy them.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Ah yes, just to be able to SEE the window again. Ha. Love those little chairs with the hoyas on them. So cute. I notice that kitty litter is rather large in comparison to the turface. It is more like the tiny version of the hydroton. The one that is BB sized. Must allow for more air around the roots. I have never seen that around here either.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area