Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therealmrsdoodlepunk

Green Guard/harpin protein

I just bought some of this stuff from Gardens Alive. I'm wondering if anyone else uses this on hoyas, and if so do you only put it on in the spring, or is it OK to do it now?

The reason I ask is that my hoyas all seem to be actively growing, which is strange. Even the one I've had for years has new leaves. I have never seen new growth in the fall. I've been using VF-11 for watering and foliar spray and that is the only thing different, other than I have them all overpotted. (long story, thought it was good to repot new hoyas, also changed over to orchid bark/perlite/soil mix....)

Comments (9)

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    I started to use Messenger(which is the same) this spring and love this stuff.I saw huge difference this spring over other years. Am not going to use it over the winter but will begin again come spring.I feel it helps get them going again after making it through winter.

Cindy

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindy, do you know if Messenger is still available? I bought the Gardens Alive stuff because it was the same, but originally looked for Messenger. The company website says it went out of business!

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    Oh no I will be very sad if I am not able to get it.I can not get it at all in Canada and had to look for it when I went across the line to shop. I am going next week I will have to look and get what ever is still around.Where did you get the Gardens Alive stuff? I will have to try and get it.

Cindy

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, now I'm glad I asked about this. I order stuff from their catalog and the website. I hope I'm allowed to post it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    I just got 9 packets from ebay for 19.99. I think this is a good price. I was paying 2.99 for one packet.But now I have to pay for shipping.Thanks for letting me know that the company went belly up.I would have been very disappointed come spring when I went looking for it.
    Thanks for the link but I don't think they ship to Canada.

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found this on an ebay seller's page: "SPECIAL NOTE: EDEN BIO has closed and we can no longer purchase Messenger. As of 9/29/09 we have 28 packages of 9 .12oz packets (each of the 9 packets makes 1 gallon of spray) and then will have no more. We have 4 of the 25 gallon packages of Mighty Plant and several of the Seed Treatment left. What a shame noone seems to have come forth and purchased this company...the product is wonderful and we have MANY disappointed customers! You can visit their website at www.edenbio.com if you wish for more information."

Well, I went ahead and used my Green Guard on my plants. They are all actively growing right now for whatever reason. Maybe this will help them get through the winter, or maybe it will backfire on me and stress them out just when light gets thinner and temps get lower.

My growing area DOES get more direct light in the winter than it does in summer because of the woods by the house.

• lesliercowger
    14 years ago

I am sorry for being so dense, but I wonder what is the exact name of the product we are discussing from Green Guard? All I could find that mght be it is their "plant growth stimulator" but it did not say anything about the hairpin protein. I had intended to try Messenger for several years but didn't and guess I won't. Thanks for your help.

Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Guard

• Denise
    14 years ago

I don't know much about growth stimulators, except that nurseries use them to get fast and furious growth for plants they sell. I've always figured it burns plants out, so I've never had much interest in using them. I think VF-11 does everything I want done... But as far as fall/winter growth, most of mine continue to grow, though more slowly once we get to the shortest days of winter. However, as soon as the day length starts to grow, so do the plants!

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    I don't think harpin is a growth stimulator but is protein produced in nature by bacterial.It causes the plant into thinking its being invaded. Then the plant turns on the plants natural defenses.This makes the plant healthier and stronger.This is what I get from reading all the info on the net.

Cindy

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions