Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

New Hoya cuttings! (pics)

Good morning, hoya growers! ;)

I wanted to share some pics of the pubicalyx cultivar cuttings that I potted yesterday!

I started by screening a few handfuls of "Orchid Bark" through a plastic nursery flat with a 1/4 inch grid.

I tossed all the big pieces of bark, and kept the stuff that collected in the pond-basket.

Then I added Turface MVP and red Pumice (lava rock, scoria), sifted over a 1/16 inch aluminum screen.

I mixed the ingredients together, set the cuttings in the pot, filled in around the stems, and watered thoroughly.

I was out of Osmocote slow-release fertilizer, otherwise I would have added a pinch.

The cuttings had already begun to root on my kitchen table, so I expect some new growth immediately.

Anyhow, on with the pics!

Josh

Comments (59)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Jojo, you're not alone! I can't seem to locate that pumice that Josh uses either and just like you I LOVE it and wish I can find it here locally. Gosh knows I don't want to buy it on line and pay $50 to have it shipped,ha ha!

Josh, I bet that hoya will like that mix...keep us posted!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy!
    Yes he does..:)

Road trip! Swing by and get me and i'll pitch in for gas! ;) lol...

JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cuttings are liking the mix! ;)

The cuttings haven't had *any* leaf-loss, yellowing, blotching, or otherwise. Just strong, upright growth.

I'm excited to see the unfolding of the first purple leaves....!

Josh

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hiya Josh,

Can I pls. ask How/Where do you buy your bark mix? As pure bark or some kind of orchid mix? Orchid mix seems the only way I see it around here (& it's not cheap), also has inconsistently sized bark & lots of sticks, yours seems so uniform, do you hand sort it for size?

I'm thinking I need some Bark mix & just hate to pay the $$$ from the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Guess I should just ask a couple of my Orchid growing friends for some (hey, there's an idea)!!

Looks lovely & VERY happy & healthy. Am guessing it's some form of Pubicalyx, from the heavy speckling on some leaves maybe Pink Splash (or Silver Pink), I always forget its exact name.

I recently received some new cuttings of that as well, looking pretty nice here too.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hey Josh, Congrats on your new growths, great to see isn't it! Seems to be really loving your mix, growing strong and healthy. Thanks for the update!

Pirate Girl, you're not alone, my small town doesn't carry the Orchid 'fines' locally either...but I'm lucky they do sell the Pine Bark in big bags for under $3...very reasonable. I did however locate an Orchid Supply store that carries the big bag of the Orchid fines exactly like Josh's pictures...its $21, not too bad as it will last me a long time. The catch is its a 4 hour drive from where I live,lol...

I purchased my Pine Bark 'fines' at Walmart...Huge bag for $3. I've heard once in a while HD or Lowe's carries it depending on the location. Though, I know with you living in NYC not an easy task to purchase a huge bag and transport it home. I think you're on the right track checking with your Orchid growing friends. Good luck with your search. It truly is a great hoya potting media as well.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Karen, thanks! These are Pubicalyx, indeed - Royal Hawaiian Purple (RHP).
    Yeah, I make my own mix. One of the perks of living in California is the ready availability
    of products like conifer bark and pumice stone.

In the first post, there are a couple pics and a brief description of the screening/mixing process:

"I started by screening a few handfuls of "Orchid Bark" through a plastic nursery flat with a 1/4 inch grid.
    I tossed all the big pieces of bark, and kept the stuff that collected in the pond-basket.

Then I added Turface MVP and red Pumice (lava rock, scoria), sifted over a 1/16 inch aluminum screen.
    I mixed the ingredients together, set the cuttings in the pot, filled in around the stems, and watered thoroughly.
    I was out of Osmocote slow-release fertilizer, otherwise I would have added a pinch."

Thanks, Nancy! It was difficult for me to wait to take these pics...I was tempted to take pics
    when the first little nubs appeared. I am very glad that they're doing so well.

Josh

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

hi im new here i have tried to add pics on my post in this forum like you have above but i cant they made me post in the gallery area

Original Author
    13 years ago

The Gallery is bunk....another dead-end like the Exchange Pages, as far as I'm concerned.

Cyclone, upload your pics to a free online host such as Photobucket, then post the code here.

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ta da! Purple leaves!

I think some of the silver splotches are also showing a pink tinge....!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Wow Josh...

I was really enjoying reading this thread and about to ask you tp post more pictures, but you beat me to it..

What a very informative thread and beautiful pictures I wish I could see...I can't wait to get home now..lol
    Purple leaves? I am sorry if I missed it, but where do you get cuttings like this?

Thank you!

Mike+:-)

MIke

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Josh, those cuttings are coming along nicely...love the color of the new leaves! Thanks for the updates!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hey Josh!
    I think your imagining the purple. I'm not sure I'm seeing it. ;) lol...
    K...just giving you a hard time. ;)

It looks great! Comming along nicely!
    I'm with Nancy,
    The new color looks great, so do the new leaves. :)
    Keep the pics comming and I'll look in as I can!

JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, Nancy, and JoJo! Howdy!
    Thanks for the encouragement, it makes me want to keep posting updates! ;)

JoJo, I'm sure glad that your computer is co-operating...for a few minutes at least!

This has been the easiest rooting experience yet.

Josh

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Mike, Nancy, Josh, Natalie, jojo and pirate girl! Oh my!! You guys & gals hang out here too!

Pug - this is the other plant I didn't know I needed, until now. LOL

-Bo

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Bo...glad to see you stop by! We are such a bad influence on people when it comes to getting more plants aren't we? Oh well, there could be much worse addictions :o)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Pug - Glad to see you too! And, yep, Hoyas are my latest obsession! lol Also, you're right there could be worst things to be addicted too. Besides plants brings us a lot of joy and a feeling of accomplishment & success (once they bloom or fruit when they're suppose too. lol!)

-Bo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, on this sunny Sunday morning!

The cuttings are on to their second set of purple leaves...!

Josh

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hey Josh, your cuttings are looking great! What kind of mix did you use? Was it perlite & bark only?

-Bo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Bo!
    The Soil mix, along with pics, is located in the first post.
    Check it out! ;)

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Love those new purple leaves...looks Great Josh!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!
    These cuttings are getting squirrely really quickly!
    As soon as the leaves start growing toward the sun, I flip the container around!
    Eventually I'll have to find a good hanging pot!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Happy Sunday night Josh!
    Oh my goodness Josh..Amazingly beautiful....I LOVE that plant not to say your others...That purple alone is so pretty. Who needs the flowers? Great job and to think my cuttings are in the same mix that you made..I am so happy about this..Thanks Josh

Bo: I think I have found my new obsession too..lol

Nancy: I hope yours hold up to the cold..I heard how cold it is suppose to be down there..I am so sorry..Do you bring them in? How cold does it get before you say it is enough, they have to come in?
    Yours are too pretty to freeze..:-((

Mike

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Now That's a purple leaf! ;-)

Looks good Josh! Always fun to see new growth!
    My kerri is getting a new leaf. The first since getting the plant.

Hello to Everyone!
    Bo,
    Yes, we all hang out over here too. ;-) Good to see you!
    I've had the Hoya Bug about a year now. Only have 3 at the moment, no blooms yet, but love the plants!

Josh,
    You'll have to get it a hanging spot soon, and somthing to climb on at the rate it is going. lol..

JoJo

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, JoJo!

You know me....if it gets too long, I'll start hacking it back!
    I have another H. pubicalyx, so at least I'm prepared for the growth habit.

(My H. vanuatuensis will grow 20 feet long if I let it....that's how large it was
    when it was collected).

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Good afternoon!

This Hoya has been growing non-stop since I potted the cuttings at the end of September.
    The color is simply superb, and these latest leaves are an excellent example of what to expect!
    It attracted a few aphids last month, but I smashed them all by hand, and they haven't returned.
    Anyhow, just thought I'd share a little update. Enjoy!

Josh

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Don't you love the non-stop growers?! Hoping for blooms for you this spring as well!

Kelly

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Kelly!
    I'm looking forward to blooms, too!
    (I take it this one's a Spring bloomer?)

Josh

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Beautiful plant - thanks for the update!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Very nice colour.
    My plant took two years to bloom from a cutting but something tells me (the distinct lack of snow!) that you have many more favorable growing days during the winter.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. It's been interesting watching the development of Josh's plants because mine do not grow nearly this fast.

That is probably a mercy given my small quarters, but I still like watching these exuberant specimens.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

My cuts arrived today, some of them did not survive!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoyas

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Mitzicos: I'm sorry some of your cuttings didn't survive ._. Most of them look really strong though! I am envious of your many new plants. You've done so much collecting at this point, one of these days you'll have to post a picture of your entire setup, so we can see all the potted cuttings together.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Hi GG,

I'll take a picture of my entire collection as soon as the cuts start to develope, at this moment they still small, but some are improving.

I just feel very sad because it takes too long for them to arrive in Brazil, and I think the very hot wheather at this time of the year increases the chance of demage.

Last week I tried to cover the plants with a plastic bag to increase humidity and improve rooting, but I almost cooked my cuts!

This technics cannot be used in Brazil, when I saw what was happening I immediately uncovered all. Can you imagine? I was cooking my hoyas. LOL

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Hi GG,

I'll take a picture of my entire collection as soon as the cuts start to develope, at this moment they still small, but some are improving.

I just feel very sad because it takes too long for them to arrive in Brazil, and I think the very hot wheather at this time of the year increases the chance of demage.

Last week I tried to cover the plants with a plastic bag to increase humidity and improve rooting, but I almost cooked my cuts!

This technics cannot be used in Brazil, when I saw what was happening I immediately uncovered all. Can you imagine? I was cooking my hoyas. LOL

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

No, I know just what you're talking about. I cooked my first batch of cuttings, too: putting them in bags on an eastern windowsill with strong light. Shortly thereafter I read a post where someone recommended keeping bagged plants out of direct sunlight for this reason. Not too many people point out this danger, though. If you want to try the bags again, just keep the plants in a place where they only receive ambient, indirect light. I'm sorry you had that problem - I know how horrifying it is! :(

(I linked to the post I read about cooking bagged plants below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagged cuttings in sunlight

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

GG,

Thanks for the link!
    Besides the light the main problem is that in Brazil is too hot, very hot, something that I never experienced before. Global warm, it is very difficult to sleep, to drive, to do anything, the only time we feel good is under the air conditioning, the temperature is around 40� celsius.... it is too much for anyone, imagine the plants. They came from cool wheather...... and them arrive in this fire place!!!!

The light is not my problem because my apartment does not have direct light!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, folks, thanks for the compliments!
    You know I'm glad to provide these updates of this fast grower!

Mike, you're right...I never have snow on the ground for more than a few days during the Winter.
    With foliage this attractive, I can wait a little longer for the blooms! ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Oh Josh, just amazing and such a great job you!

I love that one too..Oh boy..

You have done it to me this time, just as I have done it to you with citrus.

Superb buddy and such amazing beauty. Thank you for this pic and update.

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Update time! I can't believe that it's been four months!

The aphids eventually found this Hoya, but I kept after them all Spring.
    This is a fantastic grower for me, with great new growth and black-purple vines!

What a rambler the Royal Hawaiian is!

Josh

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WOW, greenman. What a beautiful plant. I enjoyed reading this post from the beginning. I wish I could find pumice here locally. I would like to give it a try. I use orchid mix, potting soil and perlite. 1-1-1. Only 8 qt. bags of orchid mix are available here. I never thought of looking for pine bark in larger bags. Does anyone know if bags of mulch (don't know what kind) would be safe for plants. I know we use it around plants but not to grow in them. WAIT!!! I think I might just try a cutting and see what happens. I'll use it with perlite and cactus mix and see what happens.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Josh! Wow...your RHP has grown a lot in 4 months. You're growing it well. That truly is one of the fastest growing hoya I have. Thanks for the update.

Ima, I get my large bag of Pine Bark "small pieces" at WM. I've read that sometimes HD and Lowe's carry them too depending on location and availability...but I've never been able to find them anywhere here in my small town except Walmart and a small local nursery. Its appx. $3 for the large bag.

And yes, Pine bark is safe for plants...the mulch is way too big for potted plants so try to fine the "finer" pieces.

Here's what mine looks like...I sift it to remove the fine dust so it doesn't retain too much water.
    {{gwi:10062}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Nancy!
    Your plant is the one that piqued my interest in the RHP! ;-)

Great pic of the bark, too. Very helpful!

Thanks, Ima! I'm glad you enjoyed the Thread.

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, too much sun and heat has turned my leaves a Royal Hawaiian Yellow!!! ;-)
    I re-potted today, almost a year after receiving the cuttings. Root-growth was superb!
    I opted for a hanging basket so that I can hang the Hoya somewhere out of the direct sunlight.
    I also pruned off the longest vine...gotta keep this one compact. I'll give it shade for a
    few weeks, then a dose of fertilizer. By then I should have an update.

Josh

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

greenman, the light colored leaves could be from just too much sun or water. Have you had a lot of rain the past few months? I know here in FL I had to bring my pubicalyx in and hant them under the patio roof. With the tropical storms we've been having, it's been raining every day. I was afraid they were getting to much water.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Wow... Josh... I love that plant so much; the dark purple leaves.. I must have one of those one day.. but.. the result of too much sun and/or water... so that has caused all the yellowing damage? Wow.. I can't wait to see its recovery.. One beautiful hoya!.. Eileen

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ima and Eileen!

Ima, we haven't had a drop of rain since the beginning of June.
    We should have some rain by Thanksgiving...or shortly thereafter.
    Gotta love the long, hot, dry California summer....

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well,
    a little over two weeks later, and I do believe the Royal Hawaiian is on the mend!
    My apologies for the glare on the two left leaves...they're not really that yellow anymore ;-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hey Josh! It looks so much better, definitely on the mend! It sure recovered quickly! Great job...I'm sure blooms are not too far away. To be honest, my RHP is a shy bloomer for me. Thanks for the update.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Josh...when you repotted, what all did you add or put in the mix (or did you use the same thing). I used to use some of the pumice in my mix too, but it seemed to make it so heavy that I finally just opted to put it in the bottom of some of the pots for drainage. I use perilite & a little hydroton instead for the mix.
    Your RHP looks great. I love those plants. Great blooms too when it finally starts. Maybe next spring!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Pug, thanks for the reassurance! ;-)
    I really am looking forward to the blooms on this one!

Mairzy, I added large Perlite and fresh bark to the mix, both of which helped to lighten
    the increased volume of soil.

Thanks!

Josh