Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Something new

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I don't have much in bloom right now other than the regulars buy there is one first time bloomer.

My yellow Hoya heuschkeliana is blooming with five little blooms. I took a comparison photo with Hoya DS-70's flowers as well, not the best photo because there was little light.

Here are the leaves. I grow this Hoya in very bright light so the leaves are quite small in comparison to my pink heuschkeliana.

Not a Hoya but an Australian orchid called Dockrillia wassellii. I have had this plant for years and it has finally started to bloom for me. Again not the best photo due to improper lighting.

Mike

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Love the pictures, Mike. Especially the last one of the Dockrillia wassellii where you can even see the opalescence of the petals. What a lovely plant.

It's fascinating how much smaller and darker your heuschkeliana leaves are. My own poor plant was knocked onto the kitchen floor this morning by a four footed roommate who will remain nameless. >_

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I love that first picture Mike. Do you find that the yellow heuschk. smells like buttered popcorn??

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very pretty Mike! Amazing how small and cute the little flowers are on heuschkeliana, I have it but hasn't bloomed yet. My DS 70 has a couple of blooms now...very small blooms as well.

That last picture is really pretty too! Love it!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG I seem to have a thing for white flowered orchids, many smell fantastic and their blooms often sparkle like crystal in the sun.
    I find the leaves on this yellow flowered plant much thicker, even the ones that were grown in less light.

David I love the smell of the Acanthostemma section Hoyas and this one did not dissapoint although it is not as strong as I had expected, still there were only 5 little flowers.

Pug once your DS-70 gets going it will be covered in blooms. My plant has peduncles that are at least 2" long with scars from past bloomings.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :)

Mike

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Mike, I want a camera like yours! What do you have?

Carolyn

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Mike love the flowers. I too want to know what kind of camera you use. Mine doesn't seem to get the closeups like that, maybe the photographer hmmm, LOL

Dee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn I have a Canon 30D. I did not use the macro lens just the 18-55mm lense because I seem to have lost my macro ring lens and only have a telephoto-macro where you need to stand at least 10 feet from the subject, not for indoors. LOL

One of the most important things is proper lighting and if I would have had good light from the proper direction these photos would have been much better. If you are looking to do macro photos you need bright light and daylight or a good reproduction is always best. I would look into getting an inexpensive ring adapter type macro lens for your camera if you have the ability to add on to the existing lens. Are there threads on the lens where you could screw on an adapter or is your camera a point and shoot model?

Here is a photo I took with my macro adapter last year, a much more close up shot than my 18-55mm lens can do.

I posted a link to the type of inexpensive lens that you can screw onto your existing lens to increase the magnification. No need to buy $700 macro lens if you just plan on taking a few photos, just make sure you read your camera manual or look for the markings that tell you the size of your camera's lens in mm before you buy.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: macro lens ring style

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Nope don't have that kind of camera, I have the Canon SD1300 Digital Elph

It does take good pictures just not real very good close-ups

Dee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some of the point and shoot style cameras have the ability to accept other lenses but yours does not. I added a link with some info on macro shooting with your camera model, there are some good example on the site so it looks like you might just have to learn how to improve macro technique. A tripod is great for macro shooting and don't forget to make sure there is lots of light or you will get out of focus photos.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Canon SD1300 macro

Sponsored