Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya elliptica - Thailand order

Posted by okie_deb 6 OK. zip 737 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 11:35

Hey everyone,
I am so proud of my elliptica I got from Jack and it's growth process! I took a picture this morning and circled the 6 growth spots. Looks it is fighting to live on despite being broken and losing it's leaves. So far 6 new growth places!,,,Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya ellipica from Jack progress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya elliptica - Thailand order

This is great Debbie! Congrats and good luck!

Mitzi

o

Nice!! I think you've got a champion on your hands.

o

Wow...that is amazing. What did you water with while the cutting (stick) was rooting? I mean...did you put anything special in it or on it? Superthrive, fish stuff, etc?

o

Wow!! Nice growing! You've given me hope for the 'sticks' of subcalva and multiflora that are what remains from Jack's cuttings.

Lisa

o

VERY Exciting Debbie!! Great job saving it...what a trooper!

o

Debbie.. As a newbie, I must say, even I can see the new growth... great job!

o

Ooh, Debbie, that's a lot of new growth! Good job!

o

I swear Hoya elliptica is a real trooper. When I got my plant it was a little stick with half a yellow leaf and it pulled through no problem.
One thing I have noticed is that mealies just love those soft leaves and they caused the demise of my little plant so keep an eye out for them.

Mike

o

Thanks everyone for the pats on the back! I'm thrilled it's doing so well so far!

MD I soaked the stick with roots and the broken cutting in VF-11 after I received it. I then planted it in my soil mix which I have started adding Seed Starter to. Why? It has stuff in it to help seeds not rot and help them get started and strong so I figured why not add some in my soil mix. Well my AV's and Hoya's seem to like it and cuttings are having a better survival rate with no droopy leaves. I've been adding the seed starter for over a year now to my mix. I buy the Mircle Grow brand. My soil mix is Pro Mix BX, perlite and Mircle Grow seed starter. I do add some orchid bark when I think of it for the Hoya's.
I also put the planted bald stick outside. Oklahoma has humidity and we have been rather HOT so I thought it was worth a try. I put it in a bright light situation (no leaves to burn so what the heck) on my deck with a roof. I have since it is leafing out moved it where it gets some dappled sun on the deck. It's leaves turn towards the sun each day so it's liking it. I turn it every day so it won't grow leaning in one direction.

Mike I haven't had mealies in years (knock on wood!) but I do have to battle an occasional hungry grasshopper on the outside Hoya's.
I have a Hoya archiboldiana Bold Edge and it had new growth and was looking nice and all of a sudden that tender new growth was gone!!! I found a grasshopper! So I now spray my Hoya's outside once a week with Raid Flying Insect spray. I spray over them about a foot above and let the fog fall on the leaves. I do this at night when no sun could burn the leaves and it can air dry. Works like a charm and no leaf damage from the spray at all. Grasshoppers don't seem to like the taste because no more problems of munched tender new growth.
I started using the Raid Flying Insect spray after reading somewhere that it helped keep bugs off AV's. So before a plant enters my house it is sprayed. Wilts AV blooms but the blooms are what a lot of the bugs hide in. I pick the blooms off after the AV has been sprayed.

Lisa I do hope your sticks start new growth soon also!! Don't give up hope!!,,,Debbie

o

Congratulations Debbie...I'm so happy for you! My elliptica from Jack still looks dead...but, I won't give up on it until next summer. Great growing!! Fondly, Patrick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here