Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

OT: Crafters....Show Off Your Handiwork!

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Since it will be awhile before I have a blooming hoya (nummularoides), I thought I would share pictures of some of my craft projects and I encourage you to do the same :).

Here are the legwarmers again. These are all finished now with the rhinestones.

This is a wall hanging I made back in high school. A salute to my idol and favorite country music artist.

As for my latest project, I am planning my Halloween costume! Anyone working on theirs? I would love some suggestions/comments. It's a combination of two characters from one of my favorite movies/musicals: The Rocky Horror (Picture) Show. It's a male version of the Usherette but I want to add some elements of Frank N. Furter to it (and Columbia too). Here is my list of materials:

An old tux or suit

Cardboard box (the refreshment tray; I will have bags of candy in it and it will be painted white or wrapped in white paper and with the words The Rocky Horror Show on the front in red paint and glitter.)

Top hat (with feathers and glitter; this is the Columbia element)

Gloves/gauntlets

Feather boa

Old dress shoes with rhinestones

Clip on sunglasses (rose tinted of course)

Throw in an old multicolored beaded necklace I made years ago and my costume's complete except for the make up lol.

Again I welcome any comments or suggestions. I hope you enjoy my crafts!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (20)

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Brad, no comments here on your Halloween costume, since it sounds like you have it under control! But you have done a great job on your leg warmers. Where/when did you learn to crochet? I have been crocheting since I was a little girl (too many years to count!), and my favorites to crochet are doilies (which aren't too popular anymore) and afghans. Congratulations on learning the skill as some find it too difficult to maneuver thread and needle!

• marco
    12 years ago

Brad, you should show the picture of the quilt you are in the middle of making. I saw the pic on PB and loved it

poseidon

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bama gardener, I learned to crochet and knit when I was in ninth grade. I taught myself from a book. That wall hanging I had help from the home-ec teacher (Yes the same one who gave me my first carnosa cutting).

Poseidon, that quilt top I messed up (I can't sew straight lol) but I'm gonna have to dig it out one of these days and finish it :). I started it last year and I did mess up my seam allowance. Guess I'll have to take a seam ripper to it.

As for my costume, I won't start to be gathering materials for it until the end of the month. I forgot to add that I need a wig too for my costume :). I'll take pictures of it too when it's all put together :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• marco
    12 years ago

Brad, it looks rustic and authentic ! Use those words to help you make the mistakes look like they were meant to be there. Illusion, smoke and mirrors. Now, if that only worked with hoyas ; )

poseidon

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, poseidon!

lol How true if those words applied with hoyas! I guess I can always turn it into a crazy quilt if nothing else.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

Well, since you asked, here's some random pictures of things I've made...

Turtle using clay from my backyard

Did this in high school

My version of Cat in the Hat

Cat on a Mat?

Another afghan

Thanksgiving table setting

May not be a craft, per se, but I like to bake

My latest stuff...
    Potholders

Catnip Mice

This will be an afghan eventually

And this will be a wool jacket for my great dane. He gets cold in the winter.

• marco
    12 years ago

Thank you, Brad and tigerdawn for showing you crafts, I on the other hand am absolutely useless when it comes to craft work.

poseidon

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

OMG...you people are talented. I can't do any of that stuff either. I can bake a cake, but it never looked like that. Ha. I love that one with the turquoise flowers. How do you ever find time to water a plant?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TD, you are very talented!!!! Beautiful work!!! Baking is certainly an art form as far as I'm concerned :). Mom and I watch those bake off shows on the Food Network all the time lol.

Poseidon, you're welcome! I cannot wait to show you all my Halloween costume!!!! I just cut the cardboard box for it this evening. Now it needs wrapped and painted :). Then on to the actual costume.

MD, don't worry. Cooking and baking for people is an art too, because so many people admire food :).

A little song for you all, this goes along with my Halloween costume. Not sure if I'll sing it when the time comes. Depends on the crowd lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rocky Horror Show (Original Roxy Cast) 1974: Science Fiction Double Feature

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oh man, I laughed over the dane coat. I need one of those! My dane is going to shiver his tail off up here in SD! LOL

Brad, I've no suggestions really for the costume, you have it quite under control. Hubby is going to have fun with his ghillie suit scaring teens and adults walking the young ones. (He did it last year.) I get to answer the door and giggle while handing out candy in my vamp costume. ;)

I have very few craft pictures of everything I've done over the years. Afghans, doilies, silk christmas balls with doilies on them, hats, scarves, porcelain & ceramic crafts, drawing. All sorts of items, but few pics. :)

As for cakes, that can very well be an art form, especially done up like the one with the flowers. I love that.

~Tina

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tina,

lol That sounds like a lot of fun!!! I just wanted to let you all know that the gears have been set in motion for my costume :). Mom wrapped my cardboard box with gold wrapping paper and stapled it. Now I'm working on the strap to help me carry it. Hopefully, I'll get it done tonight and then all I have to do is add red glitter glue and the refreshment tray is done!!! Next week, the costume begins!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ament
    12 years ago

I know you will have such fun Brad! :D You'll have to share photos. Hehe! Can't wait to see them!

~Tina

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I am so pumped!!!! I cannot wait until it's all put together!!! Hopefully I'll finish the strap today and I'll post pictures of it when it's all done :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my refreshment tray done!!!! GG, do you think this would please other Rocky Horror fans? *^_^*. The cardboard box is wrapped in gold wrapping paper and stapled to the box. The letters are foam glitter stickers from the Dollar Tree. The "dripping blood" effect is from red glitter and glitter glue. The strap is crocheted and stapled to the box as well. Now, this weekend, the actual costume work begins!!!!

The Front With The Strap

Closeup Of The Front (My personal favorite part)

Left Side:

Right Side:

Enjoy everyone!!!! If anyone has other ideas, let me know! I can change the letters easily :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ament
    12 years ago

Great Job Brad! Excellent work! :)

~Tina

• marco
    12 years ago

Wow Brad, amazing talent. The tray looks great, can't wait to see the whole costume put together. Good luck and I hope it is all ready in time for the 31st.

poseidon

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Tina and Poseidon!

This was not a very hard project at all. The only thing that was the most time consuming was the crocheted strap. Now as for the costume, I can't tell how hard that will be or how much time it will take, but I am hoping I get it done before the 31st.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

OMG... you guys are so talented!... cake baking and decorating is definitely a craft!... a talented one!.. your array of talents is amazing... I can crochet... have made a number of afghans over the years... now for the grandchildren.. (Oh.. did I say that!?? so what, I'm over 21)... can I knit... well, kind of.. as long as I don't have to rip out my work to find a mistake!.. that's where it ends... have a quilt... gorgeous king size... started in 1976... when my youngest was an infant... so it's all basted together... and one motif (Dresden Plate) has been hand quilted.. and there it awaits my attention!.. before I leave the Earth hopefully)... and not sure what else... lots of plant collections over the years... many successes... depending on life at the time... many failures... but I digress!.. Brad... you're creative inspiration is amazing... you're off to a great start... I'm not familiar with the "movie" though I have heard of the name... and your "tray"... is showing signs of blood and ghoul!... Is that an adequate description... ? Looking so forward to your ongoing project!... you are very talented... please keep the pix coming! Oh yes.. Tina.. your picture taking and eye for the simple beauty of nature... that is a talent.. and a creative one!... Eileen in Chilly/frosty tonight Vermont!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thank you Eileen, never really thought of it the way you just mentioned it. :) I just love taking pictures! :P I'll have to take you on a tour of winter here with me... Through my eyes. It can be a wild ride! LOL I see things my husband totally misses, yet my daughter can see right away. It amazes me, truly. She can see things that I see, but she also sees things I miss! It's a wonder, having her artistic eye to draw my eye. I love that. Having others around to show me the things I miss.

It keeps me young! You'll have to post pictures of things you have Eileen, that you've made. I've a baby blanket I hand sewed for my eldest, if I can find it... I'll snap a pic of it. ;) When I can find my camera(I think Hubby has it) I'll go snag shots of some items I painted. Maybe I'll even be brave and show some other things too. Who knows? ;)

~Tina

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well everyone, I got my jacket, hat, gloves and a wig today! The wig is the right color, just the style is a little off (but I looked everywhere and I cannot find a shoulder length, black curly wig). The jacket is blue with three gold cuff buttons and the gloves are white but not elbow length which I was hoping for (jacket's from Goodwill and gloves from Rite Aid). The hat is black glitter and was at a resale shop downtown that was selling them for 50 cents a piece and was on sale (for a whopping 38 cents!!!) I cannot wait until I can get to work on it with the rhinestones!!! Come on Halloween!!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County