Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

OT - do you grow Sansevieria?

Denise
11 years ago

I find a lot of Hoya growers also grow Sansevieria, so I thought I'd make this offer to you guys before going to the Sans forum. I rooted some cuttings of S. cylindrica this summer and they're ready for anyone who'd like to start one from a cutting. Cuttings are about 6" long, well rooted and will eventually grow a new little plant from the base. I have four I'll give away for postage, and I can send them first class for about $3. I'm including an old photo of the mother plant. Get in touch with me through this forum if you're interested.

Denise in Omaha

Comments (6)

• grubworm
    11 years ago

Denise,
    I'd love to have them. Will email you privately. Shirley

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Denise,

Handsome plant you've got there, love the splay of the leaves, so graceful!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Denise I grow Sans cylindrica as well. Do you notice that when grown from leaf cuttings vs a mature division that you get a juvenile form of the plant? My plant is from a cutting as well and has a fan shaped growth habit. Mature forms are stunning with their large vertical growths. My plant is getting less fan shaped but it has taken many years.

Here is a pic from a year or two ago. The blooms smelled wonderful.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on the blooms, how beautiful; gosh, it must smell amazing.

I once visited a home in So. Calif. where on my way down the hall, I smelled an exquisite smell. When I followed my nose, I came upon a S. cylindrica plant about this size in bloom like this (am judging it to be about the size of my embrace). In a big, roundish urn in someone's bedroom, just marvelous!

• Denise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Wow, that's huge! This is my first time taking cuttings from this species, but I assumed (maybe I'm wrong) that it would produce a new plantlet identical to an offset as other Sans cuttings do. Don't get me wrong - I haven't grown very many Sans from cuttings, but the few I have turned out this way.

The reason I took this "leaf" off (sounds weird calling something so un-leaflike a leaf!) is because it kept growing and growing and growing - until it was over 4' long! It was completely out of proportion to the rest of the plant, and made it want to fall over. I put the mother plant outside this year because it has never put on a new leaf since I cut this one (and, of course, it left a terrible-looking stump in the middle of the plant.) Well, not only is it putting on a new leaf, which I hope will eventually hide the ugly stump, but it bloomed. Mine has kept the fan shape so far, but my Sans all grow very slowly because I put them in the low light areas. Does yours have lots of offsets in there? Did the "mother" plant start to spiral with time? I know a lot of plants that start out with the opposite leaves looking stacked or fanned (like Aloes) eventually lose that look with maturity.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

The plant I got my cutting from looked more like the ones in the photo. Not so fan like but very robust and upright. I think it is just a case of the leaf cuttings taking a long time to reach this mature stage vs a division with a piece of rhizome. I do like the look of the fan shaped plants as well but they do take up quite a lot of space when you have a large pot full.
    I think the large leaf your plant was growing may have been the beginning of the more mature growth form. My plant has done this as well but it's usually they leaves that stick out to the side that get removed. I always seem to break one when I move it indoors and I root these for the raffle table at orchid Society meetings.
    The mother plant looks like huge thick pencils sticking straight up out of the soil. Quite unlike my plant but very architectural. I have since seen mature offsets for sale but figured I would just stick it out with my plant. I may divide and repot the largest growth to see if that speeds up the growth. I give my plant very bright light and in the winter it gets almost no water and cool shady conditions. I do this more out of necessity due to space restrictions than anything else.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria cylindrica

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County