Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Blooming Hoyas...

puglvr1
12 years ago

Wanted to share pictures of some of my Hoyas that bloomed...

H. onychoides

Hoya patella

H. tsangii...boy are these "tiny"

H. elliptica

Hoya diversifolia

Hoya imperialis

Thanks for sharing them with me!

Comments (41)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

WOW................. they are just perfect!!!

Congrats and thank you for sharing the pictures!

Mitzi from Brazil

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Pug what a show of some very impressive species. Your Hoya onychoides is gorgeous and I don't remember seeing you post this one in the past, a first time bloomer?
    Hoya patella is impossible not to love. I have seen good growth of my plant and a bunch of new peduncles form recently but no blooms this season. These little New Guinea species with the huge blooms are really fantastic and I wish we had more of this group in cultivation.
    I am still waiting for the day that my Hoya tsangii blooms, such an elegant Hoya. I have seen a mature plant in flower and it had many peduncles open at once and put on quite the show.
    I used to think that this plant we all have gotten as Hoya diversifolia was boring but I have since changed my mind. I recently got a plant an unidentified plant that was collected on the island of Timor and I suspect that it is this species but with leaves only a few inches long.

Hoya imperalis is the perfect way to end, like the grand finale in a fire works show. My plant is pretty big now (at least 5-7 feet tall) and still no peduncles but I hope to see them develop soon. I do grow mine right at the glass of a large unshaded South window so it's not starved for light by any means.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Pug,WOW so many beautiful flowers all at one time.
    I am holding my breath for my imperalis it has had a pednucle forming all summer long but I have had to bring in all my hoyas.Doing this usually causes the peduncle to yellow and fall off but it still looks good and is growing a bit.

Cindy

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos Pug!!!! I'm glad someone still has flowers to enjoy as the bloom cycle here has pretty much come to a screeching halt.

NOW!!!! PLEAAASE tell me how do you all who have done it,manage to bring imperialis and onychoides into bloom???? I have had both for a number of years ( over 8) and to this very day not a single flower on either of them!!!!

David

• cpawl
    12 years ago

David, I wish I could tell how to get it to bloom but I seem to only be able to get imperialis to grow peduncles.I have found that this hoya needs a lot of light,water during the growing season and a bit more food.With my warm growing season so short my plant usually loses her peduncles when I bring it inside.Maybe this year will be my year as her peduncle seems to be doing OK for now.This year I also gave it a hand full of lime.

• marco
    12 years ago

Pug, they are so beautiful ! I am very happy for you. That first one, the H. onychoides, is absolutely gorgeous ! And I have forgotten how white the elliptica blossoms were until I saw your pics.

Congrats on nice growing !

poseidon

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

VERY PRETTY Pug! I especially like your elliptica and your diversifolia! Quite the display going at your place! LOVELY!!!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL.........have no word for all of them.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Breathtakingly lovely. Thank you for posting - a perfect way to start my day.

Lisa

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Patella and Tsangii bloomed last month...the others just bloomed a couple of days.

Mike, this is my second bloom on my onychoides. I do love this hoya! I agree with you about Patella...one of my favorites also, I too wish we had more of this type of hoyas. My very first Patella (a gift from a dear friend) came from Asiatica and died within a week or two after its arrival (I was heart broken) Luckily...I didn't give up on this hoya. I love the fuzzy leaves and the new growths are so pretty, some get "bronze" in color. Do you know how cold Patella can handle it outside...right now I grow it outside under an open entryway with a roof. Do you think I should bring it inside when the temps go below 60 degrees? I also have Darwinii that I need to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't get too cold outside. I don't have to worry about that till the middle of November though...we're still in the 90's during the day and mid 70's at night..Thanks Mike!

Cindy, good luck with your imperialis buds. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted.

David, I agree with Cindy. Lots of light (mine is outside under some Palm trees...so it does get a couple of hours of early morning dappled sun. Lots of water, weekly fertilizer in diluted form when its actively growing. The only other thing that I can think of is I did add agricultural Lime to my potting mix about 6 or 7 months before it bloomed. I read on one of the Swedish Hoya website that a lot of hoyas do well with Lime added to the mix. About a tablespoon per gallon of potting mix (mixed well). I think the combination of the lime, bright light, regular fertilizer and water all something to do with getting it to bloom. Honestly, this thing was Huge before it finally bloomed last year for me.

Thanks again, Mitzi, Mike, David, Poseidon,Golden, Cindy, Sue and Lisa!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Pug, what an AWESOME flower show to start my day. They are all so beautiful. Perfect pictures to show them off. Thanks,

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Wow...those are wonderful. Very unusual ones to get to bloom too. I have a small patella that grew 3 new leaves this summer & I was soooo jazzed over just those fuzzy little leaves. (I have it in a large container for humidity & everything. I can't imagine how neat that would be to actually get a bloom. I have one little flower on my kanyakumariana & must get out there & take a picture today before it's gone. Ha. Did any of your flowers have a nice smell as well?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hoya patella looks like something that might grow in a cloud forest but it's not so treat it like a warm grower. I would say nothing below 60F for either it or darwinii if you are playing it safe. Anything below 65F-60F is in the temperature range enjoyed by intermediate to cool growers.
    Remember SRQ has a useful temperature chart in case you want to look up any of your plants. Joni must have experienced problems with some of her plants at low temperatures so there are warnings for the most sensitive species.

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ima and Marcy!! Marcy, I only detect a weak scent on most of them and that's only if I stick my nose right up to it,lol...I think growing them outside makes the scent "weak" or less noticeable? A few when brought inside has a little more scent than others.

Mike, thanks! I'll be sure to check out Joni's website...I hadn't thought of looking there. Appreciate the heads up.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Mike, would you believe Joni doesn't list temperatures for Darwinii or Patella on her website. I think I will just play it safe and bring them inside when the temps dip below 64 degrees to be on the safe side.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Pug,I checked the liddles cat and patella is a warm hoya.They don't have darwinii but they do have mitrata and it likes to be kept warm.I have both mitrata and dark darwinii and I grow them as warm as possible to keep them happy.

Cindy

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Try your hand in pollination of hoyas. Selfing is a good start, then be experimental and cross pollinate. BUT please record your crosses.
    I have used a cat whisker attached to a pencil or other sturdy rod to fish out the pollinia. Sliding the whisker through the groove styles will fish the pollinia pair out. Reattaching them is easy. In fact pollination can occur by just changing the position of the pollinia in the styles. Nectar secreted can easily develop pollen tubes that can swim through and attach themselves to the stigmas. You may even get multiple pods develop at once. Like a hand of bananas.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Cindy, that helps a lot! From reading your previous post about your elliptica, I'm guessing elliptica can take it a little colder in winter than Darwinii and Patella. I think you said your house stayed around mid to upper 50's at night in the winter? So, my elliptica should be able to stay outside a little longer than my "warm lovers" (hoyas).

Thanks RFG for the tips on pollination...growing (sowing) seed pods or pollinating flowers has never been my strong points. I've tried hand pollinating my Pineapple Guava blooms several times over the years and have had NO succes,lol...Great tips and advise though!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms, Pug! I'm especially fond of the onychoides, patella and imperialis blooms :). I'm just waiting on my nummularoides to bloom now. It's just budding up like mad! Good luck with pollenating your plants!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Try the larger, H. imperialis v. rauschii. It's larger, easier, except that its progeny is usually less colored than the parent. I have a feeling that this species is actually a hybrid since none of its selfed pollinated seedlings ever look like its parent.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Brad...btw, I love the leg warmers you crochet. You're quite talented!

I'm probably not going to do the hand pollinating thing...but maybe the bees and or other bugs can do it for me,lol...

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Bees are excellent hoya pollinators. But many times they get stuck with the pollinia stuck on their legs and cannot free themselves. Usually a dead bee seen on a flower may indicate a successful pollination.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you, Pug! If I remember I'll take a picture of them tomorrow with the rhinestones on them.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had a few seed pods on Lacunosa and Pubicalyx 'pink silver'. It would be awesome to see it on my Imperialis or onychoides someday.

Looking forward to it Brad!

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi pug, i am new in this forum and today i am happy for seeing these magnificent flowers.

i had a rooted cutting of imperialis, but not feeling between us ever created.

it is dead and it was a pain for me...

oh exscuse my english i hope you understand me!!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum lalla!! Your english is just fine, no worries! Thanks for the nice comments. I'm sorry about your Imperialis...maybe if you get another chance you can try growing it again. Its blooms are well worth the extra work.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

thank you for welcome,pug,here in italy is difficult to find
    imperialis....

that cutting was a fortune for me, now i dont know where find.

i wait and search...

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Lalla,

Maybe you can buy Imperial with Paul Shirley, he is from Netherlands, I think he delivers it faster then other sellers, if you google his name you will find his website ok?

Mitzi from Brazil.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting, Pug!

I wish I had some bloomers to share!
    That onychoides is a true Vampiric masterpiece!

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol...Thanks Josh! My daughter says the onychoides flowers reminds her of "spiders" so she's not a big fan of the way it looks. It can definitely be a Halloween bloom :o)

Lalla, good luck with your search.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

thank you mitzi, i just know paul shirley!!!

in this moment i am whaiting hoya lacunosa snow caps and hoya eskimo from thailand.

after i stop my orders because winter is coming.

but imperialis is in my heart!!!

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Pug, wow I love these pictures, and am so jealous of your imperialis blooms. BTW, mine is now approaching 4 feet tall so maybe someday it will bloom.

Your pictures of the onychoides makes me glad I bought one of these this summer.

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renee! I am sure it won't be long before your imperialis blooms for you! Happy to hear its growing very well . I'm glad I have onychoides too! The blooms are very unique!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My white patella bloomed...I have pink and white potted together in this small pot.

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Awesome, Pug...you really ARE the "blooming" guru!! Fondly, Patrick

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Wow, Pug...those patella blooms are just awesome. Do you keep the plant very humid? What do you do for it in the winter (light, humidity, etc) I have a very small one that I just brought back in from "outside for the summer", I sat it on some damp turface in a humid container in a North window. Wonder if that is good? It grew 3 new leaves this summer, now I worry about winter & the dry ol house.

• paul_
    12 years ago

Very nice flowers there, m'dear.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Patrick, Mairzy dotes and Paul...appreciate it!

Mairzy, Its only spent one winter with me so far...and YES it loves humidity and warmth. Its outside in my roofed but open entryway so it gets all the humidity Florida has to offer,lol which is a lot from Spring to mid fall. I remembered last winter bringing it inside my Florida room (south side) and having it close to the window where it received bright light. I'm planning on leaving it outside until when the night time lows go below 65 degrees just to be on the safe side and bring it back outside during the day(where it was almost all year) when the temps are above 65 degrees, so it doesn't go into shock and lose some leaves. Hopefully, it will work.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Very pretty flowers. So which do you prefer the pink or the white flowers?

Mike

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Pug... those pix are incredible... I am jealous!... I have been away from the forum ... packing, moving, unpacking... working et al!... so tired, but when I had a minute... checked in here.. had no time to respond and missed soooo much. But before I hang it up tonight... those hoya babies... gorgeous... good job...
    Would like to add, that while trying to pick up things I need for my new apt living, I also brought home a new baby yesterday.... love her... EA.. from HD... tag says "chelsea"... the leaves are so pretty..lots of thick healthy stems.. I will need to stop back soon, over the w/e hopefully to get a refresher... I think I pretty much have only carnosa... love them all; apt is light... have a new T5 light to set up... when I can get the empty boxes out of the spare b/r... oh... plant room!... but I can't remember all of what I should... did remember someone suggesting chicken grit!... to mix in the potting mix... so... found a bag of ground granite "Poultry Grit"... so I know I'm getting there... just a lot of stuff going on... my memory seems to only hold so much these days.. but thanks to all my new hoya friends, I'll be back on track soon!... I'll check back in a day or 2... still unpacking...ugh.. Eileen... in getting chilly Vermont... another Pug mom!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike, I think I like them equally! I'm glad I decided to pot the two colors together, made for a little fuller looking pot and its nice to see both colors in the same pot as well.

Hi Eileen...been there done that! I hate moving and I feel your pain. Thanks for the nice comments. Good luck with your new apt. and Congrats on getting a new hoya! Nice welcome home gift to yourself :o)

Hope to see more of you when things settle down a bit.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting