Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Importing praetorii and lasiantha

greedygh0st
9 years ago

I owned a pleasant, well-blooming lasiantha for many years, courtesy of Joni. Then, a while back, the orchids that surrounded it contracted a fungal infection which spread to it, and I wasn't able to save it. (Although I was able to completely rehabilitate all the orchids.)

For a long time I kind of figured my lasiantha days were over because the availability is nil and nobody really trades plants like that unless you have something similar to swap. And it's not like I NEED more Hoyas, so I just tried to forget about it.

Then, on a whim, I placed a crazy order with Jack from Epiphytica, in which I attempted to order all the mitratas and a handful of lasianthas and praetorii. First of all, he sent gigantic cuttings - one of which was about as big as my original lasiantha had been before it died. So I had a lot to work with.

Now, I've tried importing lasiantha and praetorii several times before with no luck. I've imported both cuttings and rooted cuttings. Usually what happens is they arrive looking stressed, with many of their leaves yellow-spotted, but a pretty healthy looking vine. You know, the kind of condition where, if they were any other Hoya, their odds of survival would be around 80-90%. Then, over the next 2 days their vines just kind of shrivel and they drop all their leaves and it's over. If I try to start new cuttings from the healthiest chunk, the cuttings don't take. Even in hydroton in an aquarium, or some other maximum-odds rooting setup.

So, this is pretty much what I expected to happen with Jack's lovely looking cuttings. I took a couple cuttings off the top of them, and just plopped the original rooted cuttings in a communal pot of fine coir and put it in an aquarium. Over the first few days all the backup cuttings I'd taken died, and the originals dropped most if not all of their leaves, and their tops died off and most cases they looked pretty dead.

Then my sister proceeded to have the most drawn out baby birth ever, so between that and moving, I was out of town for about 4 weeks, just stopping in a couple times to haphazardly water plants and load up my car with more stuff.

And what do you know, when I come home yesterday, all those little stumps have sprouted new leaves.

So, this is my advice, if you decide to wildly import lasiantha and praetorii.

1. Get a well-rooted and large cutting
2. Don't monkey around with it. Don't bother taking backup cuttings. Just stick it as it is in a pot and give it high humidity.
3. Proceed to watch it 'die'
4. Hope that it springs back to life from a stump like mine did

I think I recall that Mike got his lasiantha/praetorii from Aleya or something like that. So, I knew at least one person had success importing these plants. Anyone else out there have advice for this endeavor?

Comments (3)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you can see the praetorii and lasiantha cuttings, all rooted in the same square pot. They were all well over a foot long, and branching, when I got them and they have lost 90% of their original mass.

The one in the top left corner looked like it died completely, (that's dead matter above that node) but just sprouted new growth.

The one in the bottom left corner I was actually able to root a backup cutting from, so those two are the same plant. They were just leafless stubs for a while, too, and have sprouted these new leaves.

I did lose the one that used to be in the bottom right corner. RIP.

And you can't see, but there is a 4th cutting in the top right corner. That's the sturdy fibrous vine you see curving out of the pot, partially obscured by a greenii leaf. This one actually didn't die back at all, so if my shot was taken from farther back, you'd see actual original leaves at the top. It just lost all its lower leaves.

I know this must seem like a lot of yammering and random observations, but I have tried to import these two species so many times, and I really believe, in retrospect, that my panicked attempts to chop the cuttings up into several smaller pieces, did more harm than good.

I think it's simply a plant that is inclined to drop ballast, in times of stress, but is more likely to survive from putting out new growth from the stump than from putting new roots out from a stressed cutting. The stressed cuttings, just don't root very well. Incidentally, I noticed this same thing from my original lasiantha, before it died. On one occasion it seemed to be declining, so I took a bunch of cuttings, and none of them survived. Then, it later regrew from its stump.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone next time they are panicking as they pull a desiccated lasiantha out of a box.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Wow! I am actually surprised they had regrowth. With my luck (generally an excellent gardener, with the exception of tomatoes and "stick" plants-hoyas included), those "sticks" would have suffered a drawn out death, without recovering any growth. Maybe I just don't have the patience to watch a twig, but if a couple of months have gone by, the twig would wind up in the garbage, if it were me! Congrats on reviving your beauties!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

How many weeks approximately have passed from when the cuttings started looking dead to when they sprouted new growth, GG?

And generally, when a cutting looks desiccated and dead, when do you throw it away?

I had a few cuttings from this summer's orders never root and dry out instead, and it took me a couple of months to finally stop watering dead-looking stumps, unpot them, see that they look as dead underground as they do above, and to throw them away. But I still wonder - when do we DEFINITELY know the thing's dead?

Another cutting's leaves are STILL dehydrated more than 4 months after I potted it, and the stem looks horribly woody and dehydrated - BUT it has grown a very nice plump-looking leaf, so it's definitely alive.

It's hard to read all these misleading signs sometimes.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH