Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharontsms

Mystery (hoya) 1 of 2

sharontsms
9 years ago

A few days ago I purchased 2 plants from my local Walmart. I believe them to be from Exotic Angel. None of the plants that came with that shipment were labeled. I remembered seeing one that appeared to be similar on the Exotic Angel Hoya site that was called Hoya Linearis. Pictured is the plant I purchased. Can someone verify that this is the Linearis.

I will post a picture of the 2nd mystery hoya separately since I can only post one picture at a time.

Comments (11)

• marco
    9 years ago

Sorry, I too, fell for the "Oh wow, a Linearis" and bought it home happily thinking that I finally had one. Turns out, it's a Rhipsalis.
    On one hand, I was bummed, and left it in the house with a/c. It didn't grow an inch. This summer, I put it outside on the patio and holy cow, it took off. The thing is humungous !
    So even tho I got the wrong plant, it turned out ok for me.
    Still want a H linearis, tho.

marco

• marco
    9 years ago

I believe this is the one, ST I forgot to supply the link, sorry.

marco

Here is a link that might be useful: EA Rhipsalis

• Denise
    9 years ago

Actually, it's Rhipsalis sulcata. I grow a lot of Rhips, too, and they do well alongside Hoyas. Like Epiphyllums, they are actually in the cactus family and are considered jungle cacti, so few have spines, and the few that do are more like hair as the one in P24's photo. You won't regret the purchase!

Denise in Omaha

• marco
    9 years ago

For Denise, I heard they call this the mistletoe cactus but mine never made those little clear balls along the sides of the "leaf?"next to the hairs, did yours ?

I am really happy for getting now and would get a few more if I had room.

marco

• Denise
    9 years ago

Yes, they do occasionally. First they bloom - don't remove the blooms as some will develop seed, which is what the little balls are.

Denise in Omaha

• marco
    9 years ago

Thank you, Denise. Maybe this year, out in the humidity, it will flower !

marco

• sharontsms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I purchased this plant, I also purchased a beautiful ripsalis about the same size. The characteristics on both plants were totally different so that is why I convinced myself it was a Linearis. I always carry pictures of the Exotic Angel hoyas with me to remind me which plants I have already purchased, and this one really looked like the picture they use for the Linearis. I live in North Bend, OR and my local Walmart is the only store that sells hoyas and they all come from Exotic Angel so when a new variety arrives, I get really excited. Thank you everyone for your responses. I love ripsalis and have a few different varieties growing in my greenhouse, so I am not too disappointed.....okay, well, just a little :)

• sharontsms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I purchased this plant, I also purchased a beautiful ripsalis about the same size. The characteristics on both plants were totally different so that is why I convinced myself it was a Linearis. I always carry pictures of the Exotic Angel hoyas with me to remind me which plants I have already purchased, and this one really looked like the picture they use for the Linearis. I live in North Bend, OR and my local Walmart is the only store that sells hoyas and they all come from Exotic Angel so when a new variety arrives, I get really excited. Thank you everyone for your responses. I love ripsalis and have a few different varieties growing in my greenhouse, so I am not too disappointed.....okay, well, just a little :)

• sharontsms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the Exotic Angel Linearis, so you can see why I thought that is what I was purchasing. Bummer!

• teisa
    9 years ago

I too would love to find a beautiful full Linearis! I've looked for one for 10 yrs and found 1 once but when I went back to get it, it was gone! I love the look of Linearis when its in bloom!

But the Rhipsalis is also beautiful. I think you will enjoy it too. We can both just keep our eye out!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Yeah, I can easily understand why you mistook it for linearis. Clever you for keeping pictures with you!

Anyway, I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to respond just to say that linearis leaves are very soft and tender and fuzzy and canoe-shaped and the vines are so delicate that you could gather up a mass in your hands and ball it together because they bend and fold along the nodes. So, keep that in mind next time you are questing.

Actually Hoya retusa is more similar to the rhipsalis (although more delicate.)

I had to replace my linearis this year and I got my replacement from Violet Barn. It's a lot smaller than an EA Hoya, but I have my precious little plant back. :) I like this one!