Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharontsms

Mystery (hoya) 2 of 2

sharontsms
9 years ago

This is in regard to my previous post where I purchased 2 mystery plants from Walmart. This is the other plant that came without a label. Could it be Exotic Angel Hoya Nummulariodes?

Comments (3)

• Denise
    9 years ago

Dischidia oiantha. Another great one to grow beside your Hoyas. In fact, they are in the same family. I've grown it for at least a dozen years and it can be grown ANYwhere. I have a massive one that grows in a tall, glass spaghetti jar! Here's when it was small...

I'll post another photo below of where it sits now - on a hanging shelf, It seems to like Kermit the Frog! (Sorry for the somewhat blurry photo!)

Denise in Omaha

• sharontsms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Denise. I've never seen this plant before and it sure had the characteristics of a hoya. Had I not joined this forum, I would have always thought it to be a hoya. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. You must have an awesome variety of plants.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

That Kermit the Frog is adorable, Denise.

Sharon, Dischidias are relatives of Hoya, from the same plant family. Some plants were even moved from one genus to the other and some others in the opposite direction - so even botanists are confused at times.

Their flowers tend to be less spectacular than Hoyas', because they open only partly, but they may compensate by interesting leaves or growing habits. They often grow alongside Hoyas, both in nature and in our gardens and plant stands. :-)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions