Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Happy Surprise, a budding peduncle

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Happy surprise, today, am home from work & checking on the plants when I found one of my new H. macrophylla cuttings is budding up. I haven't upload the pix yet, I will; oddly enough the penduncle is purple in color, that's what made me notice it; two of them at that.

I think I've had them all of 3-4 wks from that enormous Hoya jackpot w/ which I was generously gifted. I think it's been potted up maybe 2 wks. I confess I noticed my heart pounding a bit once I noticed & started to investigate this fun surprise.

David if you're around, pls. know I'm taking special delight in this & will certainly post updates on this.

The smiling PG

Comments (11)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Very nice! :) H. macrophylla is such a nice Hoya...nice to see it will give you a little extra something to look at!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the pix, it's early but definitely budding up.

Hard to tell when one shoots these how they look a bit closer up:

Here's the most purplish shot so far

I can't wait!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Very exciting, right?

I am very happy for you Karen. Please let us updated. Good work.

I had a few surprises myself this year. Crazy, and I wasn't even expecting a one on any of my Hoya.

Mike:-)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Ooo, that's awesome, Karen! I always think macrophylla's flowers don't exactly outshine the leaves, but they are definitely something to get excited about. And I love the dark pink tones of your peduncle. I don't remember seeing that on my regular mac - this is the variegated form?? I'll have to watch my variegated's peduncles next time to see if new ones are reddish.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Denise,

No, this isn't a variegated form. It's an all green one that was labeled Macrophylla IML 0411, an interesting development.

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

Okay Karen,
    I'll be needing for you to send me that macrophylla IML 0411 back immediately!!! Your cutting already has a peduncle on it and my stock plant hasn't thought about even setting one on yet!!! They obviously really like New York!!! I think my mac variegata has purple peduncles on it,i'll have to look closer when I go back out to the gh,

Congrats on the peduncle!!!!

David

• Klea
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the peduncle! The purple color is very nice. : ) Looking forward to more pictures when the buds open!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey David,

Been meaning to get back to you. These may be sympathy peduncles as unfortunately, I lost the patterned Thai kerri. It was one of the 1st of these cuttings I potted up & apparently it didn't get a good footing & was ailing before I realized it.

But yes, surprising to find this development, am watching closely, seems to have stopped growing for a day or 2.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the peduncle! I hope the buds have been progressing well. Too funny that you beat David's plant to the punch. I got a good laugh out of that one.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hiya GG, nice to see you back on board w/ us!

Sorry to say my peduncles have stalled, perhaps in speaking so soon I jinxed myself, but I KNOW you all felt my excitement w/ me!!

I cut off the stem which withered above the peduncles & have moved it a bit closer to the west window.

I'll be off from work next Mon. & Tues., I plan to have a talk w/ this Macrophylla & explain it's making me look bad now that I riled folks up about this -- some nerve!!!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Thanks, PG :)

Mmm. I know the feeling. My publicalyx balked on me earlier this year and every time I look at that peduncle now, I just shake my head at it like it just told me it wants to be an artist instead of a doctor.

How am I going to impress the other Hoya parents when you are such a rebellious offpsring?