Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Quick Answer Needed before I pot up!

klyde
12 years ago

Hi All:

My hoya order came from SRQ today whooo hooo! The cuttings have been in the box for 6 days and are rather wilted. Should I recut the ends as I soak or leave it callused? Any other tips?

Kelly in Victoria

Comments (6)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

TG says to leave it callused. So, that's what I've always done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuttings instructions

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I always soak cuttings in a sugar water solution to rehydrated them and give them some energy. This is a method that was often used to help imported bare root orchids recover from stress.
    You can soak cuttings for about 8 to 12 hours if you need to but if they are not too bad a few hours will do wonders.
    After the soak pot up and then keep in a covered high humidity environment until roots develop.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Place cuttings in a shallow tray of tepid water with Superthrive added and nothing else. Allow to stand for half an hour and begin recutting and placing into pots. Ideally one should make cuttings with single nodes of not more than three to a six inch or two in a four inch or individually in 2-3 inch pots. Be sure to label everything. You can't imagine the guessing game and posts on this section of "What hoya is this?" if only you label it in the first place. Use the name on a masking tape to the pot, write on the pots, etc. use a label.

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I asked, as I usually recut the ends (used to be in the florist trade), but also grow cacti. Yesterday when the cuttings came I suddenly questioned whether or not to cut as I've usually done. I do soak in water with a bit of sugar, but didn't know you could soak for so long Mike:)
    I did end up soaking for about 3 hours, but it looked like some could have used longer, but I was uncertain about this. Well now I know. I don't know if we have Superthrive in Canada RFG :)

This is the first time I've gotten cuttings this wilted, and so it made me question what I've done in the past, which has been very successful (recutting, soaking with sugar water, using a bit of rooting hormone on the cut ends and storing in large baggies until rooted).

Thanks for getting back with your help! I may do another order where the hoyas may be quite wilted...

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Perhaps you might find ST online or from a specialty plant seller (i.e. orchid growers) as the use of this (for me) replaces rooting powders and worries.

ST is also excellent added to your fertilizer blend when watering your pots.

• penfold2
    12 years ago

I'd skip the sugar. Dehydrated plants need water, not sugar. And the best way to hydrate them is in pure water. The more pure the water, the greater the osmotic pressure forcing water into the plant. For this reason, I hydrate my plants in RO water.

As for Superthrive, there is an article in Stemma volume 1 #4 where the author did some testing which found that its only real benefit seemed to be the rooting hormone it contains. In that case you could achieve the same thing by using some rooting powder/gel after soaking. I never bother with that, but it would probably help speed things up.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?