Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Some new cuttings

mdahms1979
13 years ago

A package arrived today with some very healthy cuttings from Paul Shirley. These cuttings look like they were just taken yesterday.

I got Hoya sp ETS 10, Hoya verticillata GPS 10080, Hoya sp GPS 10167, Hoya sp GPS 7724, Hoya sp GPS 10175, Hoya picta x 2, and Dischidia sp GPS 10166 (luzonica).

This little one is Hoya picta, well that's what it was listed as, the name is possibly not correct according to some taxonomists. This plant must have been grown in bright light and will probably darken up although I like the colour it is now.

Mike

Comments (25)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Mike,

Nice haul. And I love, love, love picta, though I can't seem to grow it. I've tried it 3 times so far, and will probably try it again until I get it right. It's so dainty... And dainty is what I need these days. I'm bringing plants in and wondering what I was thinking when I got more plants this year... I really, really need to win the lottery so we can get a bigger house (and, of course, bigger GH)...

BTW, what does the "G" before the "PS" mean?

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree Denise, the Hoya picta is a real cutie. :)
    I am getting ready to bring the rest of the plants in from the cool wet weather and I think I may be finding new homes for some of the non Hoyas.
    GPS is Paul Shirley's catalog acronym and it stands for Gerard Paul Shirley.

Anyone else who has recently gotten new plants or cuttings feel free to post them to this thread as well.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very Nice Mike!! They certainly do look like they were just taken a day or two ago...very healthy! Congrats and Enjoy your new hoyas!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Those cuttings look great! I think that picta is really cute & dainty.

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Awesome Mike... they definitely traveled well - very nice looking collection you have there...

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Very nice cuttings Mike!!!! I have bought from Mr. Shirley several times and like yours they always arrive looking as if he just cut them and put them in your hands!!

david

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats, Mike!

All of them look in great shape! I hope they grow well for you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

That is a nice batch of cuttings. I got a package today too, from Gardino's. I got burtoniae and mindorensis. I'll be repotting them tonight, as they pretty much lost a lot of their soil during transit anyway. I'll probably try to salvage as much of the mix as possible, just change the pot to the clear orchid pots I've been using.

What is the cutting at the very bottom of the first pic? And the pleasantly spotty one directly under picta?

I agree with everyone else, picta is adorable!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :)

David I order from Mr. Shirley again and again because I have never been disappointed and he has some really nice plants available.

Quinn the cutting with spotted/splashed leaves is Hoya sp ETS 10 and the cutting at the bottom of the photo is the Dischidia.

Mike

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Lovely looking cuttings, and I agree, the picta is very charming.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Beautiful cuttings! Love little picta!

Denise, I think we're all in the same boat of wondering why we continue to obtain more with so little space left!

David, you're holding out on us...how do you get cuttings from Paul Shirley?!?! Let me know next time you order!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Nice cuttings! You seem to do a great job of identifying and acquiring small leafed species with every order. I really feel like eating that picta, for some reason. Maybe because it looks like a little pile of seeds. That might just be my transition to raw speaking tho... it's doing some weird stuff to my brain.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG it does look kinda like green pumpkin seeds, probably tasetes better than the raw ones I force myself to eat sometimes in the spirit of personal health. LOL
    I really am fascinated by the small Hoyas, they just look so nice and are usually very polite in their growth vs some of the larger species that appear to be trying to over take and smother anything near by.
    I have been questioning my reasoning behind ordering Hoya sp GPS 7724 though, hopefully it turns out to be something other than Hoya brevialata. I have several different plants of what might all be Hoya brevialata but they are supposed to have different coloured flowers and the leaves are all slightly different as well. I guess I will find out in a few years when they all flower.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol I can really sympathize with your post-arrival second guessing. Sometimes I really wonder what I was thinking when I'm looking them in the eye.

That said, it seems like you have a distinct affinity for these types of blooms right now, and I think you are entitled to unrepentantly enjoy them... all... lol. Even if they're all breveliata. You are appreciating the heck out of breveliata. Even if it looks like 10 different pots of the same plant to an outsider, you are capable of savoring 10 different subtle iterations of a natural design that totally rings your bell. I dig that.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Ah yes... my time honored tradition of misspelling brevialata continues.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Check out the different species listed on Mr. Shirley's site, they all look a little different, different enough to have me interested.
    GPS 7729, 7731, 7745 and 7752 could all be different forms of Hoya brevialata. Hoya sp GPS 7724 has flowers that look closer to Hoya DS-70 though, now that I look at the photo listed on the site. Now I don't feel so bad about ordering it. LOL

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Shirley Succulents HOYAS

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Kelly, sorry I think I may have misled you!! I haven't bought from Mr. Shirley recently,at least not since he has posted on his website that he doesn't ship the the U.S. anymore. It's been several years,at least 3 since I bought from him.

Though I did go back tonight and read what he states on his homepage and it does sound as if with the proper documentation that he will ship to us. I'm making up a list of things of interest and plan on trying anyway.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I think you're onto something here, Mike. I especially like 7729 and 7731.

So, the fact that it's more like DS-70 eases your self-doubt, huh? That's really humorous.

• poxicuta
    11 years ago

could someone tell me how looks the flower of hoya sp GPS3376?

• poxicuta
    11 years ago

here is the plant spGPS3376, could someone to tell me how looks the flower?

• pepeuve
    11 years ago

Hi people:

This is the color of my Hoya picta

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Pepeuve,

Nice hoyas, do you grow them in water, just water?

Mitzi

• pepeuve
    11 years ago

Hi Mitzicos
    Hi people.

gel litlle balls and cuttings (water-gel little ball)

I usually use "little ball of gel" and you have to add water and the ball is inflated

This is the story of a Australis ssp tenuipes in gel. All photos were taken today

You can see link below: "Australis, favorable evolucion".

http://hoyaspepeuve.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/austrais-favorable-evolucion.html

and, please, use in my blog, the USA flag to translate.

Thans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australis, favorable evolucion.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Pepeuve! So neat! Thanks for showing this. ~ Mary

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i used those water balls with a bunch of plants a few years back. they were so much fun! i ended up leaving the unused ones behind when we moved so i didnt have any to replace the existing ones when they needed to be replaced and i didnt have money to buy more so i had to repot in soil. i will be buying these again in a few months and was thinking about trying some cuttings in them... do you keep your plants in it Pepeuve? or just cuttings?

Sponsored