Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

Variegated macrophylla

Multiple peduncles on these.

Comments (15)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very nice Jan, congrats! Mine suffered quite a bit of cold damage from last winter but is finally starting to look good again...maybe next spring I might get some blooms, hopefully! Thanks for the picture...Very pretty!

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Jan....just awesome...mine is growing very well, but no signs of blooms....maybe next year. Thanks so much for sharing, you've got some huge rachis on your plant. Congratulations!! Fondly, Patrick

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Wow that is gorgeous. I can't wait until i have plants that big and beautiful.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's beautiful. I was beginning to wonder if mine would ever grow. I got a small one last Jan and it promptly dropped most of it's foliage then sat doing nothing until about 2 months ago when it finally started sending out new stems and foliage.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Wow look at all of those peduncles, that's one wild looking Hoya.

Mike

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think this one is one of my favorite!
    I'll up date when it opens up.

Pug, I am glad yours recover nicely. Maybe it'll flower for you in the Spring.
    Patrick, how are you? I hope yours bloom soon for you.
    Ren, I am sure yours will grow big in no time.
    Karyn, I am glad yours started to wake up and started to grow.
    Mike, yes I think this one is wild for sure when I first saw all these peduncles.

Jan

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Jan, that is a beauty of a plant! It looks quite large! How old would you say it is?

Karyn, mine seems to have taken a while to really get going too. Except mine was a tease. It grew really well when I first got it, then stopped, then started dropping multiple leaves and a good section of vine, then did nothing for a few months. It is starting to pick up steam now, as is the second one I got as a backup. I do notice that they both have a lot more roots now. I also keep them moist now, whereas before, I let them dry out more before watering.

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, thanks! I think it's about 4 years old.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

You know what just occurred to me? I think it was actually a picture of your variegated mac from a couple years ago that made me decide to order one for myself! Funny, huh? Thanks for posting more pics, I love seeing those leaves.

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, Hahaha, we all seems to enable one another for sure.

• hills
    13 years ago

Beautiful macrophylla, Jan. Seems like your retusa wants to get in on the action as well!
    Mine died last year so I bought a new one this spring. It seems to have rooted and grown a bit, but the one leaf it created dropped off. Sounds like this is normal for this plant!

Hills

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

This is a really cool hoya!!! Depending on the amount of light it's grown in the leaves can range from being just white and green to having a fair amount of yellow in them and having little to no red border to having a decent sized border. I have had some leaves on my plant to be almost half yellow but when moved back into lower light as it was in the gh this past winter they seem to loose the yellow and go back to being just green and white.

The only reason I grow this hoya is for it's foliage,in my opinion the flowers leave much to be desired

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I think var macrophylla likes warm weather because only time the leaves drop is when it gets cold.
    David, I think the leaves re very pretty but I think the multiple peduncles are kinda neat.

• cena60
    13 years ago

I need to sweet talk someone into trade. I've mail ordered two of these with no long term success. BEAUTIFUL specimens!

Let me know if I have something that would tempt a trade....

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cena, happy to trade with you. Email me with your list.
    Jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting