Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya Sigillatis

puglvr1
13 years ago

Just wanted to share some pictures of one of my most favorite hoyas...Hoya sigillatis. I'm so excited to get my very first flowers and wanted to share them with you guys!

Thanks for looking...

Comments (26)

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

WOW Beautiful! Pug! I can see why thats one of your favorites - I love the foliage! Does it have a scent?

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

WONDERFUL! So happy for you. :) I love those cute little flowers.

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Now I have to say i'm jealous!!!!! Mine made it's first peduncle last year but it eventually fell of without flowering. It has now made a new one this year but this late in the season I seriously doubt i'll see any flowers on it.

Congrats on the flowers Pug!!!! Your plant looks nice also.How do you care for it???

Mine had some trouble making it through the winter this past year but is making a great comeback!!! I also have the Alas River clone of this plant which is supposed to have pink flowers instead of orange. I Just got it as a small cutting early this spring and it's finally just now starting to show signs of new growth.I can't wait to see either of them in bloom.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow! Congratulations, Nancy!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Wow Pug those are fantastic, great colour. Is there any scent?

Good growing!!

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats Pug!

That's a pretty plant! Where did you get it from? I love the leaves!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Fantastic photos! congrats!!

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Congrats Nancy, Thanks for sharing the great photos! This is one of my favorites and you did a wonderful job of capturing it's beauty!

• cosmiclibra
    13 years ago

What a beautiful plant...I love the leaves!
    Before I found this site I never knew that Hoyas came in Orange!!! Stunning...Congrats!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone, appreciate it! It is a very pretty hoya and I've wanted one since I first saw a picture posted here (Huge) one from a Nursery in PA.

Golden and Mike, there is NO scent...I stuck my nose right up against it and I can barely make out a "hint" of a scent.

David, I have mine in fast draining, semi chunky mix. I grow it outside in my entryway...open with a roof. It gets very bright light and last winter(less intense sun) I had it in direct sun for a few hours in the morning. It loves water...but I let it dry out somewhat before I drench it again. It gets a weak fertilizer weekly. Good luck with your peduncle...you never know it just might bloom this year. The other clone sounds very pretty too.

Brad, my husband bought this for my Anniversary present last year from Ebay...he knew how much I wanted it.

The picture below is the one I saw posted here...that's when I fell in love with this hoya and knew I had to try and grow it!

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sigillatis from Meadowbrook Farms (PA)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Howdy, Nancy!
    Thanks for sharing these great photos!
    Perfect Halloween colored flowers! ;)

Josh

• Denise
    13 years ago

Wow, those flowers look yummy! Can't wait for mine to bloom!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh and Denise!

Josh, I never thought of that...a Halloween Hoya, Cool!

Denise, it does sort of look like orange sherbert in a way.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Pug! I have a piece of that sigillatis from Meadowbrook! Wonderful plant!

Carolyn

• abigail1280
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful plant!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, that's cool! It is a very nice hoya...Even w/out blooms.

Abigail, I wouldn't know what to do if I ever see one that large in person! Maybe, one day I can visit that nursery! If only it was a little closer :o(

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

It's lovely! Now I want one too. But I have no room. I will have to enjoy your pics for now!

Congrats on the blooms!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Quinn! I think you can safely put this on your next wish list...as this one doesn't get that big or out of bounds...like some of the hoyas out there...doesn't grow very fast either so you have plenty of time to make room for it. Christmas isn't too far away( you can always ask Santa)...OMG, did I say that out loud?

• cosmiclibra
    13 years ago

Yes...Yes you did!!!

Not a bad idea...me thinks me shall start whispering in
    some elves ears...

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

PRRRETTYY Sweeeet Husband you have there Pug! I can definitely see why you wanted it so bad - its gorgeous!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha, yeah my next wish list will have to be when I either move to a new house, or if I give away or lose some things. I may give away some violets, if I find upon blooming that they really aren't my thing, but violet space and hoya space are two different things - violets don't really grow upwards, but outwards, so their shelf can be pretty short, while hoyas tend to take up more space heightwise. So that doesn't help me. New house actually seems more likely ;)

I'm already planning out that it needs to have good sunny windows! South facing windows would be excellent. Ah, dreams... I will definitely ask Santa for a new house, ha ha. Don't think Santa generally doles them out on a regular basis though.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Golden...HE is a keeper :o)

Quinn, I'll keep fingers crossed Santa will hear your wish on a new house...good luck!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Pug, absolutely beautiful!!!
    Orange flowers are so pretty, one of my favorites, besides yellow and true blue. :)

Well, I did it. I bought a Sig (Ebay) from overseas. Now we'll see how long it takes to get here and the condition it arrives. In fact, I reordered a second Sig from Aleyagardens, lol.
    Do you remember I started a thread here a year or two ago about ordering Hoyas from Aleya?
    They've changed their format. They now sell unrooted, hoya cuttings. As you heard me say, I cannot root Hoyas, so I had to buy rooted. It's too bad because he's got some gorgeous plants.
    I always wanted to try H. imbricata, but fear it won't get enough humidity. It too is gorgeous.

Well, is your Sig still blooming? Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Toni! How exciting...I'm sure you can't wait to get it...keep us posted. I hope it arrives quickly for you. I can't or should I say I'm afraid to grow H. imbricata...although it is beautiful! I don't know how to grow hoyas or plants that seem to prefer to be mounted. If it doesn't grow in a pot, I won't grow it,lol...So that's one I'll probably never grow even though humidity we have plenty of.

My sigillatis bloom lasted about 5 days...not too bad! I'm hoping it will re-bud in a few weeks?

Keep us posted...we want pictures when you get it!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Pug, I know what you mean about H. imbricata. Everytime I see pics of this hoya, I'm so tempted push keys. lol

You don't mount plants? Really? I've seen pics of mounted plants grown in Fl..They're amazing. Especially Birds Nests Ferns, Orchids and Epis.
    Wanna hear something funny. I came up w/a non-brilliant idea. Cut a 5' branch from our tree. Dh cemented the branch inside a bucket. I attached Bromiliads, Tills, etc on moss, then tied them on branches. What a joke! They did fine in summer, but once winter came...lol

I had no idea H. imbricata needed mounting..I thought it was a terrarium plant? No? Do you know how big imbricata gets?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Toni, NO...I know nothing about mounting and honestly it doesn't appeal to me personally so I won't be growing anything mounted anytime soon. I know even less about Imbricata...except it is a beautiful hoya. I'm guessing you can probably grow it in a terrarium but again, I honestly don't have the space to devote those "special growing needs" hoyas. If I was given a cutting I would try it...but I wouldn't purchase one and risk it dying on me.

Did you pick the EMS shipping or the regular route?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz