Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie question

Posted by rennfl NW FL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 15:24

I have a question, of which the answer is probably very simple, and I'm just not figuring it out.

I've seen pictures of beautiful plants, with the vines neatly looped. How do you do that?

My plants put out a vine, and it's no problem going up the one side of the support, but when I go to pin it down the other side, the tip dies off. But if I wait until the vine is long enough to pin down, and have enough for it to go around and up again, the leaves have already started to come in and they are upside down.

What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie question

I wonder if when you are pinning it down - do you think maybe you might be pinning it too tightly? What are you pinning it down with?

o

If the tip points downwards the new growth tips die off some time.

o

You've got the right idea. Just wait until it's long enough to loop with the growing tip facing upward. If you don't keep changing the plant's habitat, the leaves will eventually reorient themselves in response to the light source. Some plants have leaves that follow the sun throughout the day, which is a bit much to expect of a Hoya, but it will come around. Of course, to my eyes, some Hoyas just always look disorderly and unrepentant.

o

Thanks you all.

golden - I'm using butterfly clips to pin the vines.

jan - yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

gghost - i didn't realize the leaves would turn themselves around. I'll try it here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here