Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_babies

Hoyas in the wild

plant.babies
17 years ago

H. albiflora - 2 monsoon region. Moisture necessary, moderate indirect light.

H. aldrichii - Grows slightly dry and warm.

H. archboldiana - Lowland trees and shrubs, high indirect light. Let it grow dryer in winter.

H. bella - From moist highland rain forest...constant moisture. Cool

H. bhutanica - Grows dryer, moderate light.

H. bordenii - Grows shady, moist, cool dim to moderate light.

H. callistophylla - From dark, deep shade. Grows wet.

H. campanulata - Found at edge of forest. High humidity and light.

H. caudate - High humidity and air movement.

H. cembra - Likes light and grows dryish.

H. citrina - Double monsoon area. From mangroves - moisture. Understory plant.

H. curtisi - Moist. Deep shade. Don't let it get dry.

H. davidcummingii - Found near Lake Bulisan in moderate shade.

H. dennisii - Deep shade.

H. deykei - Double monsoon area. Likes warm and shady, hates cold and wet.

H. doliocosparte - Found in a cleared forest under a log.

H. engleriana - Found at high altitude where it got fog at night during the dry season. Getting dry would probably kill the plant.

H. erythrina - Grows in understory with little light and lots of air movement.

H. erythrostemma - Found beside a river, shady, moist, good air movement.

H. flavida - Cool is OK.

H. fusca - Likes deep shade, moisture.

H. glabra - A wet forest climber, not full sun.

H. halophila - Found in mangrove swamps. Shade. Humidity.

H. hypolasia - High humidity. Air movement is the key.

H. inconspicua - Coastal. + light.

H. kanyakumariana - would not like to grow wet.

H. kerrii - grow open and dry.

H. latifolia - Shade. Understory plant.

H. linearis - Grows dryish and cool.

H. lobbii IML 1161 - Found along streams, shady, humid.

H. loheri - Grows dryish and shady.

H. macgillivrayi - Single monsoon area. Moderate light, grow dryish in winter.

H. magnifica - Found in high altitude, in shade and lots of water.

H. megalaster - Found in deep shade, in the understory in the rainforest. High humidity.

H. mindorensis - Shade grower.

H. naumanii - Found in the understory, moist, low light.

H. nummularoides - Grows dryish.

H. odetteae - Grows moist but not wet in shade.

H. obtusifolia - From mountain areas + moisture + humidity

H. pachyclada - Grows dryish. Capable of withstanding long periods of drought.

H. padangensis - Grows dryish.

H. parviflora - Less light - grow like H. carnosa.

H. purpureo-fusca - Grows in midstory of forest, dim light + humidity.

H. pusilla - Dim light. + water + humidity.

H. sariae - From shady jungle.

H. scortechinii - Grow moist.

H. sp. 1280 aff. H. kentiana - Not too wet.

H. subglabra - Moderate to cool. Moderate light. Found in high altitude growing in the grass in an aging moss forest.

H. revoluta - Found at beach edge. Warm and lots of water.

H. rigida - Found in mangrove swamp with high humidity and moderate to bright light.

H. thomsonii - Found on rocks next to a stream. Grow cool, deep shade, high humidity. Air flow.

H. waymaniae - Found in understory, deep shade.

Comments (16)

• canttype
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Geeszz! Someone was sure bored this long weekend or you did some coping and pasting from someone elses site! (If you did the latter, you might consider posting the site where you got the info. I'm sure they would appreciate the gesture:-)

I personally do not have any of the Hoyas on that list but it is interesting all the same.

Diane

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

actually, I got it in an email from the generous soul who sent me many of the Hoyas I now own. I wanted to be able to access the list when in gardenweb, so I thought the best way would be to post it.

Apparently it is wording from a Talk given by David Liddle at some point in the past. I don't know if it is on a website or not.

:)
    pb

• mairzy_dotes
    17 years ago

Thanks PB. That is useful info.
    Marcy

• hills
    17 years ago

This is a direct copy of a website we are not allowed to mention here but if you look up hoya and hawaii on a search engine they're probably one of the first to come out.

You'll find the information this is copied from under "Hoya Growing Conditions" in Hoya Info.

17 years ago

interesting .... so my friend may have gotten it there, or from somewhere else I suppose.

I guess it's ok to put it here? It's not, apparently, copyrighted since it is David Liddle's talk from some time in the past. Is that unmentionable website his? (not even gonna ask why)

I had never seen it before receiving it in an email.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi PB,

Well I've never seen that before here (& I've been growing Hoyas since well before this Hoya Forum was started), very, very interesting. I only grow a couple of those listed, but it's so interesting it just made me go take some H. curtisi & put them in a covered terrarium to experiment w/ keeping it moist all the time (I've let it dry out btwn waterings). It's one of my oldest Hoyas, so I'm really curious how it will fare.

If by chance this generous soul lives in Burbank, CA, pls. say so. I would be most interested to know this & she too would have had access to info. from D. Liddle (& I really trust her knowledge).

Constant moisture suggested for H. bella would go a long way in explaing why I've lost that one 2 or 3 times, including a varieg. one which I absolutely adored & was heartbroken to lose.

Thanks much for posting this, I'll have to copy it & save it for the future.

17 years ago

I'm so glad then.

the lovely and generous person lives in Oregon, like me. Don't think she is officially a Hoya seller or anything - she just noted (from lurking here I presume, since I don't even have a username for her) that I wanted more than the two Hoyas I had, and she sent them to me for nothing! Some were quite large.

I've never seen a Hoya blooming in person. There is a resturant here where they are huge and supposedly bloom all the time, but I haven't gone to see them yet.

The cuttings and rooted plants I received have flower stalks on them, so I am hoping to see one of them bloom sometime in the next year or so.

:) all's good!

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Well PB, thanks for clarifying, you certainly lucked out girl!! Being given Hoyas that is, & large ones too!!

You know what this means don't you? The Hoya Gods/Goddesses are inviting you personally to come & be welcome in our addiction w/ us. Am envious you were given big plants, when one starts all Hoyas from cuttings like I do, they tend to be small for a long time ... sigh

17 years ago

LOL :)

I know I am lucky -- I feel so grateful to the kind soul.

I plan to share the wealth with other newbies by sending out cuttings when I can. My philosophy is that we should all share plants as much as we can if it does not cost us too much. Whoever thought of the 'postage' idea was a genius.

pb

• vleeor
    17 years ago

Please email me jlee@bmi.net under plants thanks

• vleeor
    17 years ago

Wow I think my friend put alot of work on this paper I also thought when something is forward the whole page comes through. its usually better to put alink on where to find info then to show parts of pages thanks

• vleeor
    17 years ago

One day lurking around here I see hoyas wanted great got some ok size startes so I send them. then asked were to buy hoyas and growing info. so I FORWARD my favorite info,So now Im reading a page of story telling. I well say thank you to the person who put hard time ,work, money, and more time, in there writings so we who love our plants have an easier time growing and enjoying them. So thank you to one of my favorite pepole.I have over 100 hoyas now .All ways looking for new ones.So Ill say everyone enjoy your plants share your info thanks to the pepole that work so hard to bring us info. and be honest with there hard work. and in the plants we truly enjoy. vicki

17 years ago

Dear Friends,

Apparently Gardenweb username "vleeor" is the soul who sent me Hoya cuttings and the 'hoyas in the wild' text of which we speak. I use Google mail, so I still have all the emails.

At the time of our very first communication I did not know who she was, and I wondered how she knew I wanted Hoyas.

She did not say she found me on Gardenweb. Because she lives near me I thought she may have heard of my interest from a mutual friend.

I definitely did not tell any kind of "story" here. From the text of my Reply you can see exactly what I was thinking:

Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 7-8
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 22:41
    actually, I got it in an email from the generous soul who sent me many of the Hoyas I now own. I wanted to be able to access the list when in gardenweb, so I thought the best way would be to post it.
    Apparently it is wording from a Talk given by David Liddle at some point in the past. I don't know if it is on a website or not.

The "hoyas in the wild" text was in the body of a long email which I pasted as "Unformatted Text" into MSWORD so that I could study and keep it. All formatting was, thereby, lost, so it was not clear that the "hoyas in the wild" text came from a website.

Since I had never been to A_Hoyas website before today, there is no way I could "steal" the text from there.

I only posted it to the forum so that I might readily access the information without having to open MSWORD constantly while online, which *I will say again*, I clearly stated.

I work in online Publishing, so I am very cognizant of Copyright law and form.

So ...

Mes faux pas dans la vie if I posted text that 'belongs'
    to someone else, not understanding from whence it came.

I should have asked, but really I thought the lady had been to a talk by David Liddle.

This lack of understanding does not make me a bad person, or a person who has performed (or ever would) a deliberate act of dishonesty. It was an honest (albeit newbie) mistake.

There is no way to retract it.

However...

My sincerest apologies and my sincere thanks to Ms. Carole, vleeor, David Liddle, and every other person who works so hard to bring Hoyas to others.

warmest regards,
    pb

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Well PB,

That's a pretty clear apology, here's hoping that will do the trick. I believe you, sharing info. & not intending to misappropriate anything. (But really, what's the big deal abt leaving Word open while on GW, I sometimes do that at home to save a thread or comments I've made.)

Unclear why you choose to apologize partly in French, but OK, not likely that will be so widely understood.

Yes, it's mystifying when privately contacted by folks who dont' say where they saw/heard of one from. A few yrs. ago I was seemingly 'gifted' q/ Hoya cuttings, unsolicited, great cutting & very generous. It wasn't 'til 2 yrs. later that I learned from a 3rd person acquainted w/ the 'gifter' that she was expecting a swap. She never said anything of the kind & I knew personally that she had far greater access to less common Hoyas then I. But as she never said a word abt it, how was I to know she was expecting trades back (which I didn't provide, since I didn't know). Frustrating indeed, & certainly makes lots of room for misunderstandings.

Here's hoping it's OK now. I too thank all those who work, study, grow & toil to teach/share more abt Hoyas w/ us. I know all Hoya Heads appreciate it!!

17 years ago

thanks for understanding.

sorry about the French -- faux pas are "unintentional social blunders made out of ignorance or confusion"

I'm just used to saying it in French because it does not translate properly.

I have no problem with the lovely lady who sent me plants -- she emailed with the offer, I asked if she wanted any of my plants and she said no thanks. She did everything very nicely.

I'm just sorry I caused her even a single moment of stress.

:)
    pb

• ines_99
    16 years ago

came across this looking for pics of obtusifolia, I think it is from HI website...not sure though, but good stuff to know.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions