Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boothbay_gw

Over 30 year old Hoya Carnosa

boothbay
15 years ago

I have this hanging plant for such a long time, perhaps 30 years or more, and faithfully blooms for me indoors or at my patio, two or more times. Right now its in bloom and creating a wonderful scent. You lose that scent if its outdoors. I now have to face pruning it after it stops blooming, ( if it ever will ). I won't cut back those leaveless vines, for that is where I see new beginnings of spurs. I water it only once a week, pretty much ignore it, don't pamper it at all...I think I fertilized just once this summer. The one thing that bothers me is the way the vines curl towards the light and get around anything in its way. I finally bunched them together and tied them, to try and control them from climbing on other nearby plants.

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Sounds beautiful, anyway of seeing a photo? I'm sure others would also love to see it...30+ year old hoyas are pretty rare,I have only seen a few pics, do you know what variety it is? Thanks...

• hannabella75
    15 years ago

Please post a pic if you can, I'd love to see it. My mother has 2 hoyas, a carnosa and a rope that are about 35 and they are spectacular! Must be all the good neglect she gives em :). The carnose was such a heavy bloomer that she use to put pie tins and baking sheets under it so the sap didn't ruin the hardwood floor. I wish I had that problem LOL!

• Denise
    15 years ago

My mom has a big carnosa that's blooming it's butt off, too. And she breaks all the rules. She waters on a schedule, not when it dries out. In summer, once a week probably isn't quite enough when it's on her front porch, and in winter is probably a little too much. Yet it flowers more heavily than mine, which I simply water when it starts to get dry.

Just goes to show you!...

Denise in Omaha

• boothbay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have no problem in including a picture, it just doesn't show its 30 years with wrinkles and all.:) Seriously, the only thing is that it is long and just about ended its blooming, since I brought it indoors with the outside temp's getting lower. It does create a mess after its blooms decay and drop off. ..but no problem. BTW, could someone remind me on how to include a picture in this forum? Thanks

• boothbay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its been awhile since i upload pictures...the instruction says to log in and the upload button would be to the right of the screen. I do not see such a button...can someone direct my how they changed the format here as far as uploading pictures? Thanks

• gabro14
    15 years ago

You can upload your picture/s to an online album like Photobucket. If you use Photobucket, you can just copy and paste the 3rd line under the photo (I think it's called "URL link"). Once you paste it onto your post, you can see if it worked when you preview the message.

Good luck,
    Gabi

• hills
    15 years ago

My mother has had her carnosas for over 30 years - I think she had them before they moved into their current house - but unfortunately they have been attacked by mealy and scale, to the point where they were reduced versions of themselves. I took it upon myself, when I was there, to clean up the plants, remove the dead material and spray the bugs to kingdom come. I also repotted the plants into new soil (well, you would imagine that 30-year-old soil probably doesn't have much nutrition left in it). They are looking better now, even growing a bit, but every time I go home I see the tell-tale signs of more mealies. It does make me sad to see these plants at half their original glory, but at least I know my cutting from the plant is doing well and must be at least 10 years old now...
    Next time I go home, I'll try and take some photos. When I was little, I used to love when it flowered, and used to go round all the flowers picking off the droplets of nectar to lick off my fingers!

• pepeuve
    13 years ago

Hi from Spain:

To:

boothbay
    hills

Can you read my previous post.

Tittle: The oldest hoya carnosa all over the world.

I'd like to see some pictures of your hoya and include at my blog

If you want to see my hoya, please, click URL/link.

Sorry, my English is not very good.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 22 years old.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TO Pepeuve:

Boothbay responding...sorry did not answer you sooner..i do not come here to this site that often, mea culpa! You have a fantastic Hoya and it looks like you have a lot of room to let it run wild. Unfortunately, i am in an apartment so i do not have that luxury. I just repotted mine as the leaves started to show some yellowing. Blooms have stopped. Any picture I could send would not do justice to yours. Mine doesn't show its age. LOL

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living