Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squidy_gw

buds won't open on KQ??

squidy
12 years ago

I've had my plant for a year and have had it outside this summer, and it looked like it was finally going to bloom... but the buds won't open. They are full size, and a few of them are barely cracked open, but they've stayed exactly the same for several days now. The plant is hanging under a tree and gets a bit of sun, it seemed to be the right amount. (Looks healthy, leaves are lightish but not washed out.)

I hope it isn't too late in the season or something. ):

It's 77 degrees right now.. I guess the highs have been about 75-85 this last month, and lows 45-60 at night. It is sheltered from rain and I've been watering it 2-3 times a month, with fertilizer. I just watered it like 2 days ago.

What could the problem be? Or are they SUPPOSED to take this long opening?

Comments (18)

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Why would you shelter this from the rain? I would think the rain would help the buds open. Rainwater works miracles and can do things fertilizer, prayer and the best of care won't do.

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sheltered it because it was raining every day and I was afraid it was getting too much. Some of the leaves started to get a little weird and mushy, so I made a little umbrella for it. That was a couple months ago and the leaves are doing better now. But anyway its been raining hardly at all while the buds have been developing so it wouldn't have made much difference.
    And my mom's hoya is never outside and it still blooms..

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're opening!!

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

nice flowers i havent had any yet lol i can hope lol,
    no wonder my KQ is not doing as well it has 3x the amount of white and only light green in the middle and over the winter the amount of white probably didnt help. (its coming into spring here) sorry for stealing the post

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't mind, I love to hear about other people's plants too. :)
    Maybe if you put it outside soon where it can get some extra light and heat it will bloom for you! Or at least grow some more.. maybe even put out some leaves with more green. Mine has many leaves with more white than this, but luckily the majority of leaves it's been putting out are pretty green.
    I was giving up on it blooming this year though, because it's still pretty young. But finally, at the end of summer, here we are. :)
    How long have you had your plant?

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

i bought it just before winter so probably not a good idea going from a nice warm shop with artificial lighting to my house with 3 sunny facing windows, i cant wait for my plant to look a bit better it has a few peduncles on it already yay its warming up here cant wait for summer lol

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Your KQ is beautiful - thanks for posting!

Lisa

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I agree!! Beautiful picture of your opening buds!! Congrats...good things come to those who wait (even though it seemed like forever,lol...) BTW, I HATE waiting too! Enjoy!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Remember that darker green leaves means the plant is in lower light and this is not a reflection of health. Hoya carnosa blooms much better when it has medium to light green leaves although most people don't like the look of light green leaves. Just remember you either get those beautiful dark emerald green leaves and no flowers or lighter green leaves and blooms.

Squidy congratulations on the blooms.

Mike

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Squidy: Such a pretty bloom.. is it fragrant? I assume that when my recently acquired KQ blooms, they will look like that?!... lovely... good job!

Mike... thanks for the tidbit regarding darker vs lighter green leaves!... that is an easy to remember and important piece!... thanks... Eileen

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

Fragrant is a word for it, I guess, lol. It kind of smells like chocolate, but not in the best way. It sure doesn't smell like my mom's hoya, her blooms always smell gorgeous.

And thanks for the tip Mike, maybe I'll look for a brighter place to hang it next summer. :)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I have H. Krimson Queen too, my favorite hoya.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Beautiful flower, please keep us up dated on its developement and thanks for posting the picture!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Just wanted to say I love that photo you took of those buds. I find it so thrilling when someone takes a photograph of a too familiar Hoya from a new perspective and we get to flush with pleasure over it all over again.

• squidy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks greedyghost. :)
    Here are some pics I took of it today.

Took some of the whole plant, too, but they turned out blurry..

• Ament
    12 years ago

Gosh I just -love- when you folks get right up there and show the blooms on these! They look fuzzy!
    Thank you for sharing. :)

~Tina

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Great pictures of a beautiful bloom. I love the close-up picture. It really shows the flower.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Great shots, squidy! Love them! I like the close-up shots too. There's something about them that makes me feel like I get to live inside the head of a bee for a couple seconds.

Sponsored