Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanna5_gw

New hoya imbricata

shanna5
15 years ago

Here is my new hoya Imbricata from Asiatica with 10 leaves. I was very impressed.

Close up

shanna

Comments (24)

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's some other hoyas I have gotten recently.

cv. Christine from Carol, plant

Hoya sigillatis from Carol - cutting

sp. 24 Nakorn Sri Thumarat - Asiatica

Close up of leaf

Cuttings that needed a little help trying to root.

shanna

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Shanna, Your imbricata is huge compared to mine.I want Sigillatis real bad but being in Canada I cant find it.You have very nice plants.

Cindy

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks Cindy,

Yea I was really impressed with the size of imbricata! I emailed Barry to see how many leaves it had b/c it was a pretty expensive plant with shipping and he said 4 or 5, so when I got it and counted 10 I was happy!

shanna

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Shanna, I was thinking about getting Imbricata from Asiatica. That is a nice size plant. I love the looks of cv christin as well. Good finds!
    Jan

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Shanna, congrats on the nice cuttings.

You're lucky guys, when you get cuttings, they all come with names. Mine come without names, poor me!!!

By the way, I've found I have something that looks quite similar to your cv Christine. Here's it is. What do you think?

{{gwi:983626}}

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but just wanted to seek your opinions (and possible ID for my hoya!).

Thanks.

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Shanna I love the Hoya sp. 24 Nakorn Sri Thumarat and Hoya sigillatis. Hoya imbricata looks like it might be a difficult one to grow well because it needs such a large mount to grow and really display well. I wonder if a nice tall tree fern totem would be a good option?

Haxuan Hoya cv. Christine is a hybrid plant that is though to be a cross between Hoya subquintuplinervis and Hoya pottsii. If your plant was collected from the forest it is most likely a species and not a hybrid. Not sure what your plant is but it looks like it is in the group of plants related to Hoya pottsii.

Mike

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Thank you, Mike, for a very clear explanation. Mine was collected from the forest so maybe it's a pottsii! Until I have a bloom, then.

Xuan

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Xuan,
    It seems to resemble the cv. christine leaf but Mike is much more knowledgable than myself so good luck getting it to bloom.

You know Xuan, even though "our" hoyas come with ID's I personally think every once in a blue moon they are not the correct id, sometimes it's frustrating and sometimes fun. Not everyone can be right all the time, correct? And you can post pictures on my thread anytime, that's what makes them interesting.

Hey Mike,
    Barry from Asiatica said I needed to put a support in with imbricata, a sturdy branch with rough bark in my terrarium for the imbricata to colonize. Do you know if there is a specific type of wood I should or shouldn't get? Do you think tall tree fern totem you suggested would be better than the sturdy branch with rough bark?

shanna

• gabro14
    15 years ago

Xuan,
    Is the leaf really succulent/thick? If so, a guess would be H. pachyclada.

Shanna,
    Nice new hoyas! Love the imbricata. Thanks for sharing.

Gabi

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan,
    I had asked Barry how many leaves the imbricata would have, b/c as you can see on their webpage it's fairly expensive with shipping. He said 4 or 5 leaves, then when I received it, it had 10!!! I was really excited, I can see one of the vines is starting to grow a leaf.

I too love cv christine leaves are hard, succulent, and that stubby growth.

shanna

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

I made a list for Asiatica and guess what? I have to remove some because it came up to $207.00 before shipping.
    Geeeee!
    Jan

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Shanna I use both cork bark and tree fern panels to mount orchids on. Cork is rough and very light weight and you can easily find it online or in the reptile section of your local pet store. Tree fern is good in that plants roots can penetrate the mount and tree fern mounts tend to hold moisture better. There is also an environmentally friendly option in EpiWeb which is made of plastic instead of slow growing tree fern trunks. For extra moisture holding potential you can add sphagnum moss to any of these mounts to help the plant get established.
    I have yet to grow a Hoya mounted but I am planning on trying one of the smaller hanging species on a sort of hybrid mount with a small pot attached. I like the way mounted plants look but they do need a lot more attention in a household setting.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiweb

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Thanks, Shanna and Gabi.

Xuan

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to give an update on hoya imbricata. The vine in the first picture you can see shooting upwards looks dried up but other than that the plant seems to be doing well. No new leaves yet though.

Also Hoya sigillatis cutting is rooted now.

Cindy..
    How's your imbricata doing?

Shanna

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Shanna my imbricata is doing well. The two new leaves are getting bigger and I see maybe one more leaf is trying to grow.

I have now put it on my heating mat for the winter months.
    The one leaf outside the little white pot broke off and I have planted into the coir in the glass jar.Its started to make roots so hopefully it will live.

Cindy(sorry I like pictures)

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy
    I love pictures too, don't appologize. A picture is worth 1,000 words. I love your set up. I need to put a stick or something in mine so it can climb. I did notice this morning that one of the vines is starting to grow, that is soooo exciting. You should be really proud of yourself for rooting that imbricata. I heard it was really a challenge to root imbricata, that's why I spent the 50 bucks and got it instead of trying to root it myself. So what is the medium you have in the bottom of your glass and where can I buy some?

shanna

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Shanna, The stuff in bottom of the jar is coir(sp)its coconut husk. It comes in brick form. I leave it in water over night then use it.I think it will be easier in the spring to find but do look on line.

Cindy

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy,
    Do you think sphagnum moss would work in place of the coir? It looks like what is mounted on the coir bark that I got the imbricata on.

shanna

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Shanna, I used coir because that's what I had on hand.If I had sphagnum that's what I would have used.I think any thing that holds moisture will work.Plus both of these material look good in the bottom.

Cindy

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK great thanks Cindy.

I didn't have any sphagnum or anything else on hand so I went to lowes and bought some. Thanks for your help. I really like the way your imbricata looks in that glass container. I will post pictures when I re-do mine.

shanna

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Shanna, Yes do post pictures when you are done.

Cindy

• treelover3
    15 years ago

If you're looking for coir, try an orchid shop/greenhouse. That's where I found my coir. If you're going to buy sphagnum moss, try to get New Zealand sphagnum, it's the best there is (and it has the price to prove it!(:o))

I would also rinse the coir quite well before use. I have heard that there can be quite a bit of salt in the coir if you don't rinse it well.

Great pics, everyone! Thanks for sharing!
    Mike
    tl³

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I found coir at Petsmart, in the dept. where they have bedding for lizards etc.

• shanna5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ima and Mike.

Sponsored