Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ament1970

Hoya sp. Chicken Farm

Ament
12 years ago

Oh man, I've seen some doosy names, but this one just takes it. Chicken farm? Seriously? LOL By the way, I Do love it, it's a beautiful bloom and I love the large leaves too. But the name just makes me giggle, every single time. :D

So, do any of you here have one? I'm just dying to find out. Haha! Chicken Farm! That's just great!

~Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Farm

Comments (38)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Wow... Tina, what a beautiful bloom.. and the leaves are huge! Lovely... but... chicken farm... is that an interpretation of Songkranupra? Love it!... thanks. Eileen

• Denise
    12 years ago

It's a very pretty plant. I'd love to have one! And I like the name - I grew up on a farm AND we had chickens!
    Denise in Omaha

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the flower on another site and I honestly cannot tell you who came up with that name, I found two different places with it listed as "Chicken Farm". So maybe others who are more knowledgeable in this area can find out for all of us? :)

I certainly hope so, as I surely would like to know more about this one. It's one I absolutely fell in love with. I love the color of it.

~Tina

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! I found more information on Chicken Farm here is a link for everyone;

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken farm info

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I don't mind the name Hoya sp Chicken Farm, it's either that or you can use Hoya sp EKW 97-005 or we get another Hoya sp Sabah or Borneo.
    This Hoya has not been identified yet so it is either a new species that will eventually be named or it is a species that has been named in the past and that name will take the place of 'Chicken Farm' once the ID is confirmed.

Tina take a look at Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall on that GrowingHoyas.com site. If you like colour you will love the bright green flowers of this Hoya.

Denise I also grew up on a farm and I like chickens. If I ever move out of the city again I will have some chickens for eggs as well as Old English Bantams for enjoyment.

Here is a photo I took of my mothers rooster.

Mike

• banannas
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful flower and Mike looking at the picture of your mother's rooster I can see where the plant get's it name. The buds look like a bunch of chicken heads!!!

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I Do like the Estrella Waterfall Mike and I think we got our wires crossed. I love the name Chicken farm. It makes me grin every time. I think whom ever named it had a very good sense of humour. LoL It's a wonderful name for it as this particular hoya was discovered not far from a chicken farm according to information on it. :)

I too was raised with chickens on the property and hope one day to acquire large enough land once hubby gets out of the Air Force (not quite a full 8 yrs to go) that we can have enough chickens to have eggs. I miss living on a farm. Currently reside on 1/4th an acre and it feels extremely cramped.

~Tina

By the way Mike, your mothers rooster is a gorgeous one. Please let her know. :)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mike.. I love the rooster.. beautiful... I think chickens are incredible creatures, though I've never had any growing up or otherwise... thank you for that link!... I had to bookmark it so I can return.. so many beauties to see; I didn't see the Estrella Waterfall you mentioned, but a quick look here and there, I believe I have ID'd my first hoya, received 20 some years ago... and the one whose daughter bloomed for me last month.. I was shocked!.. but the picture of the Hoya carnosa var. carnosa.. exact!... leaves, flowers and all... however turns out she's very "common"... I love her anyway!...LOL... I'll have to look further for Estrella (love the name).. when I have time... work day!... later hoya friends. Eileen

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Eileen look in the gallery pages and click on the Sp. tab at the top for the unidentified species. Hoya sp Estrella waterfall is there.
    For any new growers who don't quite understand all these names there is a method to the madness. Many of these Hoyas are not yet properly identified so until they are it is easiest to keep track of them using either a catalog system of numbers/letters or by the location they were found in. Using location you get names like Sabah, Estrella Waterfall Philippines, Palawan which are places where these plants were found. When species are formally named they can also be named after the person who collected them or in memory or dedication of another person. You also will see many species of plants named after the area they were collected in and this is most common with endemic species, species not found outside of that location. Many plants are named for one of their characteristics like leaf texture or shape etc.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp Esrealla Waterfall Philippines

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I have one. I got it in the epiphytica order. It is still looking rough but it is putting out some new growth. I stuck it in the rooting aquarium to speed it up. I let it dry out between waterings so part of it dried out, I read somewhere that it likes it wet and now it seems to be doing better.

Michelle

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Very Nice Michelle! Maybe sooner or later I'll be able to get myself one of these, it's one I really like the colors of. :)

~Tina

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mike.. Thanks for that link... what a beauty!... I must say I wouldn't mind having one of those!..blooms are so gorgeous!...

Tina... you and I must have the same wish list!...LOL.. Maybe you've mentioned somewhere else in all these threads, but which ones do you have? Eileen

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eileen,
    Currently I have four.
    Hoya carnosa "Chelsea"
    Hoya carnosa "Rubra"
    Hoya carnosa curtisii
    and Hoya carnosa the average one they label wax plant like grandma has. LOL Anyway, I've seen quite a few I'd love but I trend towards different, odd or bright colors. :D

Hoya caudata (love the fuzzy on the flowers!)
    Hoya flagelleta TN99-024 (love the color and fuzzy of this one)
    Hoya minibelle (love the foliage on this one, flowers are lovely on this one too)
    Hoya obscura (both forms are nice)
    Hoya scortechinii (love the foliage and the bloom, looks like glass)
    Hoya vitellina (love the bloom color and want to find out about the smell, would be interesting to surprise the family with that one. Hehe, you'd have to know my fam. to understand that one. LOL)

There are others too, but I'll keep the list to just these, to give you an idea. :D

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Tina Hoya curtisii is a species in its own right and not a variety of Hoya carnosa. You can just write Hoya curtisii on the tag for that one.

You have some very nice species in your Hoya wish list.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya curtisii

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Tina... Nice collection... and your wish list.. you really know the reasons you want each one!...

My collection is growing .. well.. in leaps and bounds!... talk about addiction...

So far...
    H. carnosa var. carnosa... I believe is the "ordinary plain Jane" though its recent bloom is the reason I'm now on this forum!

so the next ones...

I'll try to get their correct names?

H. carnosa 'Tricolor' (or is it 'Krimson Queen'...?

H. carnosa 'Rubra' (aka 'Krimson Princess'..?

H. lacunosa 'Sno Caps' (yes I know it is now referred to as something like Krohn....? that's all I remember at the moment)LOL

H. compacta ('Hindu Rope')...

and as of this evening... (a trip to HD.. ) H. .. well the tag said "Brevialta"... which I've noticed is a different spelling than I've seen here. The leaves look exactly the same as pictures I've looked at here tonight. Definitely a pot of young cuttings.. lots of vines.. but fragile stems! I did remove pot bottom and set in a bowl with a bunch of crumpled papertowels as its quite wet.. the pot is very full!..yes it does look mature!

And.. one more.. I was deciding between the "Brevialata"(?) and another one that was tagged "Nummuleroides".. I think I've misspelled that as well.. I chose the fuller plant and put "nummuleroides" back, but a small vine (about 6 or 7 inches) fell on the floor.. decision.. pick it up and put back on its orig pot...only to die; leave it on the floor to get swept away; or... stick it in the pot of the Brevialata going to a new home!.. so now I have it cut into 2 cuttings in a small glass of water!... So regarding these new members.. suggestions for care... gratefully accepted.

so Tina.. a wish list.. well for now it will have to wait...but there is one.. and I can't find the name, but it has purple leaves!..sooooo beautiful!... Eileen

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Eileen, you're lucky with your hoya find in HD. My HD very rarely has any hoya. I would have done the same thing you did. Stick cutting in pot I'm buying. They would only sweep it up and put it in the trash, if they did that. Most times they would just leave it to die on floor. My Lowes sometimes has hoya, but they don't stay there very long. I have to be there when they are delivered, or I'm out of luck.
    There must be a few hoya addicts who live nearby. :D

~Eileen~

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

There is a nursery near me that occationally gets a few of the more common ones in too, but like your Lowes, you have to practically be there when they unload the truck or they are gone within days. They get in compacta, pottsii, krinkle 8, and lacunosa, plus the variegated & regular carnosas.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mairzy and Eileen... I guess I am lucky in that the HD here usually has Hoyas.. but.. that being said... I probably spend more than I should these days... once you catch the bug... there's no turning back..! I'm not sure just how many ppl in my area are "tuned in" to the hoya's beauty and potential!... When I went in last night... Friday.. the H. Brevialata was hanging on a low thingey... usually I have to stand on tip toe to reach them... the nummuleroides (sp) was hanging high up and at the end of what was literally last weeks plants... all the Rubra's I had to choose from last week are still hanging there.. and not looking too happy either! So I guess they'll end up soon on the reduced shelf and then.. you know where! They go from being soaking wet when they come in (and I don't know what day that is) to literally drying out in this yukky fibrous "soil"... I am glad I rescued mine before that time came for it... and the cutting... or broken stem as it were... I'm happy to have rescued it.. would have preferred taking the plant home.. but have to draw a line $$$!.. Of course, these past weeks in my area have been very difficult for ppl to get around with all the major roadways washed out.. so a lot less ppl just stopping in ... most of the few I've seen are buying materials to rebuild, repair!... so hopefully that will change for the hoya lovelies.

I have to put the "stems" in water right now... the closing on the sale of my house is coming... Wed.. and I'll be moving to my apt completely next Saturday... in the meanwhile, still packing and bringing stuff over to the apt.. so have limited time to (as I like to say) play with the dirt!.. Hopefully the cuttings will do well for another week!.. Still have to transplant my very new Pachyclada babies... 4.. so delicate... don't want to touch them yet!

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heh, I think #1 right now for me is the Chicken Farm tho. LoL I just Love the name and color of it. :)

I'm so sunk! I love these Hoyas! All of them! Even the stinky ones! Haha! I know, I know... $$$ is an issue, so is space! However, I currently have an oak entertainment stand that *must* be moved into a SW bedroom. It will house mostly hoya, when it does get moved. :D Haha! Hubby has -no- idea what my plan is for the stand. Only that I intend to use it for plants. Which he could care less about. :)

Mike, thank you for the correction, I am still very new to this, as you very well know. :P I totally appreciate it.

Eileen, very impressive list for you as well! Oy! Makes me want more of them. I do love the hindi rope one. It's so cool how it twists! I just love plants! I am going to craft myself a Forsythe pot. I've everything but the vermiculite.

I only have Lowes or Walmart to choose from for Bigbox stores to choose from. I have a couple of nurseries to go to, but I think only one of those "Might" have hoyas. I didn't see any though. I'll have to ask them. :) I too would have stuck the stray piece into a pot coming home with me, to save the plant. Hehe

~Tina

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Just wait...first thing you know, your husband will be building you places and shelves to put plants. Ha. And hanging rods over the windows to hang them from. It never ends once you are addicted to these things. You just want more...more...more of them. I wonder if anyone ever got a divorce from being overrun with plant addiction. LOL

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, my friends... here's a good one for you all to laugh at.
    And Laugh you will!

I had a small handful of plants inside, compared to what I currently own. My mother in law came into my home. Hubby wasn't around at the time. He was deployed to Kyrgyzstan. Anyway, she said to me, You have to much $h&t on your walls, a bit later, she said, you have too much...you guessed it Sh&t on your shelves, then, to top the cake? She said, (this will be in her own words) "You have too many plants in your home, they take the oxygen out of the air!"

I don't know what she was thinking, don't know where half the comments came from aside from out the other end, instead of her mouth. But it really angered me. So, I took down every single picture, stored them all. I got rid of half of my candle holder collection, at least half of it. Got rid of knick knacks too. Also got rid of about 8 boxes of books. Of which I read them, all of them, off and on.

And, as a passive aggressive move, I bought more plants. LOL A few months later, pictures went back up, of just my children. None of his family members have gone back up on my wall. And I want to add as many Hoya and such as I possibly can. Being miliary makes it so I am slow at it, but I'm getting there. :)

So, No divorce, but an interesting story for you, regarding plants. LOL

~Tina

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Lol Tina! Funny story. Mother in Laws! Some them can be quite "annoying" can't they! I have a few more choice words but I'll stick to that for now :o)

I like what you did...good luck filling the house with as many Hoyas as you want. Good for you!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Tina, your MIL sounds like my MIL (deceased). When my children were small (3,6,8,9 year olds) and she came to visit, she always commented on what a messy house I had. 'Toys all over the floor' meant to say that my children should not have toys on the floor. I often wondered where she thought they should play with them. Or maybe it was a hint to me that they had too many toys. When I knew, in advance, when she was comming, I just brought out more so she would have to step between toys and kids. Now I realize why my hubby, and his siblings, are in the shape they are. Lucky for me, mine is the most normal of the bunch. LOL
    P.S. I love the Chicken Farm too! It's on my list.

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know it's crazy isn't it? LoL My daughter was flabberghasted by the 'plants take oxygen out of the air' comment. LoL Even she said something to the effect of "that's just dumb." But that was just the nicer things said, it got worse, Daughter dyed her hair black. The big W was said. *coughs* in regards to females... But I digress LOL

This particular hoya really caught my eye. As well as a few others;
    Hoya cinnamomifolia I love the green and red on this one.
    Hoya erythrina 'Bajo' I absolutely love the color of the blooms on this as well as the extra large leaves. :)
    Hoya fischeriana is another gorgeous one, supposed to be real easy to grow and bloom. Something I need as a newb. lol
    Hoya cv. Sunrise SRQ 3035 just love the color of this bloom, also info says this one blooms tons and smells wonderful.
    Hoya sp. Bicolor SRQ 3127 I think I love the bloom on this one moreso than the chicken farm! Sooo lovely! :D

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm a little late in joining this chicken conversation, but I had to add...

My sister has decided to be wed on the family farm and she wants all her guests to carry animals... of their choice. All this because I made the mistake of jokingly telling her she should have all her bridesmaids carry bantam chickens instead of bouquets.

So, I'm thinking I need to get my hands on a white silkie bantam this spring to tame up really well... it's the natural choice for a wedding chicken imo.

/Eileen

That conversation about lacunosa and krohniana was rather confusing, but the cultivar Sno Caps is a lacunosa, not a krohniana. Eskimo is a krohniana.

I believe Hindu Rope is more of a layman name than anything, much like Wax Plant. The correct cultivar names of the most common ones are Mauna Loa (central variegation) and Regalis (edge variegation) or if yours is plain green, then simply Hoya compacta.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh and I'm just kidding about forcing a chicken to participate in a wedding, in case anyone was worried. ^_~

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha! That would be funny though, a chicken! :P You should, really, just for the laugh. I mean, if she's going to do it on a farm, why not make it funny? My sister gifted her husband, at the altar...With a ball and chain. No Joke! In front of everyone! I'll have to find the picture to share it with everyone but I swear it. I laughed so hard, he turned so red, she giggled too much and the pastor tossed the book in hand behind him to a chair. Everyone enjoyed the day. :)
    I say, Have fun with it!

So many to choose from, so little space in the windows...

~Tina

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Oh shucks, GG. I wanted to see pictures of you carrying a chicken walking down the aisle.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL I don't actually have a problem with carrying a chicken down the aisle - it's continuing to hold it after it gets restless and wants to wander around that seems a bit unwise. ^_^

I promise if I outfit myself with a wedding chicken, I'll post pictures here. But just between the few of us, the chicken is just about the only thing that makes the idea of those two tying the knot the least bit thrilling to me.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

A Silkie would be the perfect wedding chicken! LOL
    I hope you will be passing out Tide to-go pens if your sister follows through.

Mike

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ouch! Not a good match hm? Well... maybe everyone should 'gift' the barnyard animals to the couple. lol I know, I know...I'm not even nice! :P

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LMAO @ Tide-to-go pens! The ultimate farm wedding guest gift!

/Tina.

:::sigh::: Don't even get me started on it. I know it's tradition for family to not think someone is good enough for their loved one, but I just ... don't get this match.

I would love to put a bunch of farm animals in his car though. Since, you know, he's a vegan musician who's always on the road, and I bet he needs company in the form of a turkey or two.

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LoL Poor sweetie, I get it. I truly do. My son dated a chica who really irked me. She ended up with no place, so ended up in my place. Not a good thing, in the end...Cops ended up coming cuz I ended up with my bedroom door locked, shaking and a phone disconnected after this girl repeatedly struck me. So yeah, sometimes bad ones just pop up. I get that in a way many don't usually.

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Most people go their lives never expecting something like that to happen in their family, until it does.

We've had our own meander into the violent dating pool as well, but that story definitely has nothing to do with chickens unless you count my still being chicken when it comes to that psycho. I just keep telling myself: this one's better than him!

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So true greedyghost, I'm hoping I can find this particular hoya when I have a bit of extra cash to purchase it. :D There's a wish list in progress...scary how fast it grows! LOL

~Tina

• beachplant
    12 years ago

I totally need this hoya LOL!
    We have chickens and we're in the city, more and more cities are allowing chickens now. If yours doesn't go to backyardchickens.com or get Pat Foremans City Chicks book, both will give you the resources to get your city laws amended to allow chickens. We have 2 Rhode Island Reds that lay about a dozen eggs a week and a bunch of little chicks that will eventually lay eggs.

@ Eileen I have some silkie chicks that will be pretty tame and grown by the wedding, you can borrow a splash (whose mostly white) or even better one of the blues and she can carry it LOL!

My best nursery for hoyas is in Kansas city!! I go every time I visit my Aunt and bought 4 last year. No carnosa either. It's a big place, I think part of a chain. I'll have to find the name. We go nuts there, it's a good thing bearded iris won't grow for me or I'd need a trailer to get home. They are just so tempting and they have an astounding variety of coneflowers, which also won't grow for me.
    Tally Ho!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Beachplant.

It's actually me with the sister and the wedding and the Bantam bouquet. I'm at the farm right now and I told everyone about your post and you should have seen my mom's face. I think she's taking my Hoya friends more seriously now that we're talking about chickens. :P

We found an antique veil this weekend that I'm so excited about I can almost forget about the groom. I also showed her pictures of splash and blue silkies and she got so excited she wanted everyone to carry silkies for a minute there. LOL I have to say for myself that those blue silkies are GORGEOUS! You just went up +10 in my book. ^_^

Very interesting that there are good Hoyas in Kansas City. My godfather lives there so maybe I'll have to ride back with him one weekend and check this place out. Let me know if you remember the name!

• edithculkins
    12 years ago

LOL letting a chicken participate in a wedding? well something will surely perk down the isle.... The flowers are really gorgeous specially the pink ones

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Farm

Sponsored