Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevenwayne_gw

what do you guys think of a fall round robin

stevenwayne
12 years ago

I know its a little late but it will feed your hoya hunger to hold till spring. What do you think

Comments (11)

• Ament
    12 years ago

I would love that, but I've only common hoya currently. I am hoping when I return from San Diego on the 29th to have something better. :)

~Tina

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I had posted for a RR early summer, but no takers. I think Spring is the best time now. It's late going to fall, and to get one organized now is time consuming. By the time you are ready to start mailing, most of the country will have winter temps.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I've never participated in a RR before, but it seems like a fun thing to try at least once. It is too late in the season for me, though. I've closed up shop for the winter.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

I agree with what the others are saying here. Spring is the best time to do something like having an RR. It's a bit late in the season and a lot of places will be getting cold soon. I don't know about anyone else but I find it harder to root the cuttings once fall approaches. And like GG,I am also in the beginning stages of "closing up shop" for the winter!!!!

david

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Too late for me but thanks for askin'!

Lisa

• Ament
    12 years ago

Well, guess we'll have to do one in spring then eh folks? :)

~Tina

• suetran1
    12 years ago

please remind me in Spring too!
    sue

• Ament
    12 years ago

I'll try to remind folks about it, if it isn't brought up. :)

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It's not just you, David. I actually think the difference can be noticed even from the point at which the days start shortening. They just root slower and slower. It's not such a big deal with most Hoyas, but this time of year I wouldn't want to root Hoyas for which time is of the essence.

Joni has said that she adds supplemental light when rooting begins to slow down midsummer, but obviously there's no fooling plants b/c she's wrapping up propagation these days too. So clearly even for those lucky ducks in Florida, this isn't the time for RRs.

This time of year I'm always at war with myself b/c angel-GG says: You are done! and devil-GG says: Buy more quick before it snows!

Whoa, just noticed Black Dragon has been marked down. And cv. Joy, my most favorite cross ever! (Bless you MM!) Does anyone have any feelings about H. anulata? Pros/Cons?

• patrick51
    12 years ago

G.G....I just received the two H. anulata's from Joni two days ago...gorgeous plants...the one had a lot of red on its leaves...but, both are supposed to get reddish in high light. These are anulata IML 0084 and IML 1120...very, very different from each other. H. anulata is a very easy growing hoya...one of the easiest. Be careful not to over-water!! And, at the price Joni is charging, you simply can't go wrong. I also ordered a hoya named H. sp. IV from WMZ...I know nothing about the plant..but, it's gorgeous...for those who love large leaves...I went back on her site when I received this beauty, but they were all sold out...dang, I wanted to order 2 or 3 more!! They're certainly worth it, even at the non-sale price...a real steal at only $10!! Fondly, Patrick

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your report, Patrick! That's just what I needed to hear. I've been eyeing those anulatas for a while now, wondering if they were worth acquiring, and feeling curious because she obviously likes the plant enough to keep more than one specimen. Now I have my answer and I'll pursue them post-haste! ^_~

I've been very interested in that sp. IV for quite some time now, opening the window and closing it again, hovering in indecision. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on sale. I love the leaves and just can't decide whether I ought to give up precious precious rigida/aff. rigida space for a different large leaf. ^_~ I thought it was so rockin that Joni acquired that set of plants (sp. IV among them) that TG only sells as a bundle of 10, because now we all have the benefit of getting to pick and choose our favorites amongst them. Ohh sweet-o!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions