Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

Cuttings

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Here ya go!

Carolyn

H. sp. UT001 (the two pots in front)

back left clockwise: H. elliptica clone A, H. halophila, H. pandurata, H. waymaniae long leaf form, H. collina, H. heuschkeliana red form, H. hypolasia

Comments (16)

• gennykins
    13 years ago

They look great! What is the lovely veined one in the second picture on the left side?

lisa

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that's cv. Christine. :)

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Looks Great Carolyn...Nice and healthy. Congrats on your new cuttings! Thanks for sharing!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Nice cuttings Carolyn, do you have a favorite?
    Hoya sp UT 001 is a neat one, so is hypolasia. I hope your red heuschkeliana blooms soon, really want to see that one because it's really hard to find even a photo.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, all!

Mike, right now, I'm not sure if I have a fave. Really wanted microstemma to do well, but it died right after I got it. :( Really, I think H. halophyla (halophila?) Looks like myrmecopa leaves. Really like that size and shape, so H. collina is also one of the faves. :)

Carolyn

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Nice looking cuttings!glad they made it safely.

Jan

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

They look good!
    Still waiting for my envelope from Aleya...although it's only been a week.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope your envelope gets there soon, Kelly. :( If I order again, it will again be EMS with NO outer bag.

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Carolyn that bag is what turned a routine group order of cuttings from Mr. Green into a rotted mess. I find the cuttings that are in the best shape to be shipped with packing peanuts or paper only.

So are all of your cuttings doing well? My Hoya sp ETS 10 is slowly rotting with only a few inches of stema and a couple pairs of leaves left, figures it was my favorite. All my others are just covered in new roots and doing very well.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I, too, think the plastic bag is a killer!

Thought this envelope thing might be worth a try - shipping for 3 cuttings was only about $2 and suuposedly the envelopes have been arriving faster than EMS in some cases...apparently not in this case though!

Mike, have you tried switching ETS 10 to moss? I had three cuttings I thought I might lose recently - switched them to moss and all three have rooted. Now I'm just wondering how to acclimate them to a different medium! BTW- my stapelia is here! Afraid the buds are blasting though...

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Kelly I might try moss or maybe a dip in some fungicide if things keep going downhill. I hope your Stapleia blooms for you, keep it nice and warm and water while it's still sunny it will probably try to form more buds.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

A while back, I asked Ted Green how I should send Hoya cuttings, and he told me to send them dry.
    Even if they looked a bit wrinkled at journey's end, he said this would be better than damp and rotting.

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

That's very interesting Josh...I always thought wrapping them in damp moss and wrapping the moss in plastic helps the cuttings stay "fresher" for a few days during shipping...I guess not?

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Nancy-
    I agree with all on here on shipping cuttings dry. I will sometimes dampen newspaper and wrap the cuttings in it. The moss in plastic or totally enclosed in plastic doesn't allow them to breath and makes them more susceptible to rot. It can be a recipe for disaster if more than a couple of days! It really is easier to rehydrate than to deal with rot!
    My cuttings in an envelope arrived from Aleya today - just 8 days later! They look great! Glad to have an option to NOT have to order 10 cuttings at a time and to only pay just over $2 in shipping for 3 cuttings! Granted there's more risk than the EMS, but I'll definitely try this method again!
    Kelly

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Kelley and Josh...thanks! Good to know! I thought that wrapping just the bottom ends with moss and wrapped(plastic) was how I was the way to do it...good to know this is one less step I have to do.

Congrats on your cuttings Kelly...Great price on shipping with the envelope method! Did your cuttings come completely dry...NO moss? How do they look after 8 days...are they a little dehydrated at all?

I must say skipping that moss/plastic at the cutting ends will save me a lot of time! I'll have to try it next time. Maybe this moss/plastic method is only best when its rooted!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Nancy,
    The cuttings were shipped dry and are just ever-so-slightly dehydrated. Nothing an overnight soaking shouldn't cure!
    With thinner leaved cuttings I would definitely request the paper they're wrapped in be moistened first.
    I've received cuttings sent dry 3 weeks after they were cut that have survived...although that's starting to push it.
    Need to make some room!
    Kelly

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company