Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

I need advice regarding a Sweetheart Hoya

vickster257
10 years ago

Hi to everyone,

Many folks over the past few years have given me good advice with respect to other Hoyas. However, one in particular is very stubborn and will not bloom. The vine is lovely but has a few blemishes on the leaves but other than that, it appears to be healthy. It was kept outside under a covered porch during the warmer weather and was not in direct sunlight. It has never bloomed ..... So should I let it grow on the dry side, now I water it when it needs water and fertilize it once every 2 or 3 weeks. It is in a hanging basket (plastic) in a southern exposure indoors. I can't remember what these flowers look like now but would love to see a bud!

Does anyone have this variety or had success and can share your experience or recommendation at this time?

Comments (7)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hi! I too really like Kerrii! I love the heart shaped leaves as well as the lovely blooms! I have a speckled Leafed one for about 4 yrs. NO bloom in sight!
    However I grow the all green variety in the same way and it's only 1.5 yrs old and it just bloomed for me! As another Hoya grower just put it "they bloom when they are good and ready" lol

I posted a pic of my small bloom (but hey it bloomed, I'll take it) just a few weeks ago. Its picture is down about 10 posts. I do grow mine on the dryish side and water well when it's dry! Nothing different than any other hoya. I have found in my experience that it seems to bloom best off the long vines that it puts out. My first speckled one grows very compact, maybe why it hasn't bloomed!

Hope this helps. I would love to see a picture of yours as well :)

-Teisa

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Don't feel too bad...I have a plain green kerrii that I've had for about 5 years or more and its only bloomed once,lol...it was back in May 2011 and it has not bloomed since :o(

Here's a picture of it back in May 2011...its a very messy (lots of nectar that is a dripper)...I grow this one outside most of the year. You seem to be doing all the right things for it. I grow mine similar to you and Teisa...let it dry out and then water it well and I fertilize it every 10-14 days at half strength.

To say mine has been a stingy bloomer would be an understatement :o)

Good luck!

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hoya kerrii is one that can take a few years to bloom. Or not. It seems to flower sooner if given a LOT of light, but I kind of prefer how the leaves look when grown in a bit of shade. My first kerrii didn't bloom for me until I got my GH and grew it out there on a top shelf getting quite a bit of sun. However, since then, I've grown a cutting off of that one in my sunroom, that gets mostly bright reflected light. IIt took it about 3 years to flower. It almost always flowers from the long, leafless vines that I'm always tempted to cut off because it just looks unruly.

Oh, and I do fertilize pretty much every watering, probably about 1/2 strength.

Denise in Omaha

• vickster257
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your informative comments regarding this Hoya. I am unable to post a photo at this time but my plant has long vines now and the leaves are large to say the least but I am giving it TLC and hope for the best.

If anyone else is lucky enough to have a blossom, please post it so that we can enjoy it too.

Thank you. Vicki

• Denise
    10 years ago

This is a photo of one of the blooms on my kerrii in 2009. That was a particularly good year for kerrii blooms. I had 13 open clusters at once, and notice how there are new buds pushing out from behind the open blooms.

Denise in Omaha

• vickster257
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Denise,

That is quite amazing! Evidently, you have the right exposure, and conditions to get these magnificent blossoms.

Is it a plant which blooms seldom or not? or just blooms when it's ready....

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Vickster,

This was mine last August, didn't bloom this year tho'. I grew this in Hydro only from a cutting that broke off accidentally. From accident to bloom was 2.5 yrs. so I'd say, Kerriii blooms when it's good & ready, right Denise?!

Excitement building the night before it opened:

Somewhat ratty looking leaves & long, bare stems, but OK that's Kerrii for ya!

{{gwi:99866}}

My pix are no where near as dramatic as Denise's of this, but still, was my first bloom (from scratch as it were, that is to say grown entirely by me).

{{gwi:99868}}

I was thrilled!!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions