Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

More Cuttings Arrived Today :)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Today, I got a box of plants from Lisa, four of which were hoyas!!! Three are lacunosas: plain, Ruby Sue and Sno Caps and a bonus hoya: cardiophylla! I also got baby spider plants, a euphorbia (forget the name), a kalanchoe (K. tomentosa) two kinds of Crassula ovata (the aforementioned and a cultivar called "Hobbit") and two kinds of epiphyllum :). Plus, one plant I've never heard of before: Synadenium grantii "Rubra" (a very pretty plant). A grand total of 14 plants! Now to find room for them all lol! I will post pictures of them tomorrow!

Thank you so much Lisa!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Brad, glad you like them. I hope someone can post some hints on rooting the lacunosas for you because my success rooting them is spotty. The rooted 'Ruby Sue' I sent to you was one of eight cuttings taken at the same time and only that one rooted. The epi segments are actually from the same plant but I wasn't sure if the large one was too mature to root easily so I included the smaller ones as well. If you have sensitive skin, remember to wash your hands after handling the Synadenium - if I forget, I get tiny hives on my wrists. This plant is incredibly easy and tough - one if my favorites. Have fun and good luck!

Lisa

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oo Congrats Brad! :) Can't wait to see them.

~Tina

• klyde
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the new arrivals! That is a heck of haul you got there. I have Sno caps too, and didn't care for it much until recently. Very nice coloration on the leaves.

Kelly in Victoria

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

As promised, here are the pictures of my new plants (forgot to take one of the spider plants, but I'll get it posted here soon)! Enjoy!

Left to right: lacunosa "Ruby Sue", nummularoides and cardiophylla

Forsythe pot with lacunosa cuttings. Left to right: lacunosa, lacunosa "Sno Caps" and lacunosa "Ruby Sue"

Crassulas, NOID cutting (Lisa, is this a lipstick plant cutting?) Euphorbia and Kalanchoe

Synadenium grantii "Rubra"

Epiphyllum cuttings (red with magenta flowers)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• marco
    12 years ago

Very nice Brad, they look happy ! Those baskets with the looping handles look great. Now, I wonder where you are going to find 8 more names ? lol !

poseidon

• Ament
    12 years ago

LoL Posieden! I didn't even think to rib him about names, but yeah, What names Brad? ;) By the way, Lovely! Just Lovely! Thank you for sharing them with us.

~Tina

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Good luck with your plants Brad

Mitzi

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Love the idea of the little baskets. Will make it easy to twine them up & around the handle as a support. Of course then you can't use the handle to move them. LOL.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Happy new cuttings Brad.

Question -- in your Forsythe pot, is that center pot plastic? It looks it & if so, you may have a problem w/ the set up. (I was recently going to make one, but didn't have all the materials, had no cork around). The center pot needs to be unglazed ceramic, or the idea won't work. The idea here depends on cuttings absorbing moisture through the perlite which also absorbs it through the porous walls of the unglazed clay pot. If the pot is plastic or glazed, the principle here will not work.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I had to go look up what a Forsythe pot was. But once I did that, I realized I have all but the perlite to craft one. Most of the sites suggest vermiculite. I suppose either works though?

~Tina

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again, everyone!

Glad you like the baskets! They came from a neighbor of my gram and pap's who recently passed away and pap helped with the auction. We could look through what didn't get sold and I found these baskets and I also found some vases and jars :).

Poseidon, lol I haven't the slightest idea of what I'm going to name them but I do have a few here and there :). I'll post them later on when I have them all figured out.

PG, that is a clay pot in the middle. I've had it for awhile now (orginally had a bromeliad in it and was a cache pot for awhile and then when I learned of Forsythe pots, I decided to use this. Tried a cork and it leaked too much so I used duct tape instead so it can seep but not too much. The larger pot is a plastic 10 inch from one of the dollar stores downtown.

MD, I know at least cardiophylla will twine around the handle and it will look great :). For the other two they will literally be hanging baskets if I can find a stand to set them on LOL.

I will post later on a picture of the spider plants in their pot (same place where I got the baskets and I have more that I got there that I didn't use yet) and the names of my new plants. The one cardiophylla is in happens to be one of those pots.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Congratulations Brad, on all your new cuttings. I was so happy to see that you got some epi's, as they are some of my favorites. I have six plants and when they bloom in the spring I'm blown away by their beautiful flowers. I keep mine outside in the shade, water just like hoyas.
    Good luck, you sound so excited .
    alba in Hawthorne

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Great bunch of plants you have there, Brad. Hope they do well for you. I have no luck with epis. They just sit there and don't do anything. They don't seem to grow. Only one cutting that I got a few years ago has branched out. It has not bloomed yet. Maybe this comming spring.
    Right now my main project is trying to root some stephanotis cuttings a received from a forum friend. Most of the cuttings lost their leave and have turned to brown sticks. Two are still green and limp. One cutting is in hydroton and limp, but not dead. It has become a trying experiment trying to root them.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Eileen... Stephanotis.. I'll have to check that out?